Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

What would be really great for North Tryon is for it to grow organically and piecemeal.  Quite honestly, I'm tired of mega projects.  What uptown Charlotte sorely lacks is smaller-scale development that thrives with locally-owned and operated restaurants and shops.  Not everything has to be mega-malled to work.  Not everything needs to have a "theme".  Just imagine what it could look like with multiple owners using multiple architects; varying articulations and heights in facades, different building materials--with none of it looking like Epicentre.  What a refreshing change that would be!  

• Like 3

You know I've thought a lot about that and sadly I just don't see it happening. Maybe after some undefined critical mass is reached and there is enough people to truly support a lot of different shops. Until then I think we see time and time again what happens to small businesses downtown.

But it happens in other cities.  Downtowns in Portland, Austin, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Des Moines, Omaha, Columbus, and Indianapolis--all our size or smaller--have substantial amounts of local retailers.  But that's because not every place (thank God) is a themed master-planned project charging $60 per square foot to lease a storefront.

Edited by Miesian Corners
  • Like 1

What would be really great for North Tryon is for it to grow organically and piecemeal.  Quite honestly, I'm tired of mega projects.  What uptown Charlotte sorely lacks is smaller-scale development that thrives with locally-owned and operated restaurants and shops.  Not everything has to be mega-malled to work.  Not everything needs to have a "theme".  Just imagine what it could look like with multiple owners using multiple architects; varying articulations and heights in facades, different building materials--with none of it looking like Epicentre.  What a refreshing change that would be!  

Hear! Hear!  

Just out of curiosity: So the big church owns the lot thats surrounded by Pine, 5th, Trade and Poplar right? Why would they never sell it? Couldn't whoever the buyer/developer is have in the contract that some parking garage (or below grade parking) will guarantee a specific number of spots on sundays and another amount during the week? Seems like a simple solution to get this land developed.

Just out of curiosity: So the big church owns the lot thats surrounded by Pine, 5th, Trade and Poplar right? Why would they never sell it? Couldn't whoever the buyer/developer is have in the contract that some parking garage (or below grade parking) will guarantee a specific number of spots on sundays and another amount during the week? Seems like a simple solution to get this land developed.

Parking spots can cost thousands of dollars each in a parking garage, so guaranteeing hundreds of spots to the church could be quite costly. I doubt many of their members live in Uptown and walk to service.

Another thing to consider is this: since the church owns that land, they do not pay taxes on it, making their parking operation far more lucrative than most other lots in the city.

They theoretically should be paying taxes on the parking revenue they generate, but with all the loopholes available in the tax code, it wouldn't surprise me if they've found a work around, making their operation even more profitable.

Someone would really have to make them a hell of an offer for them to sell that spot.

The main objections by the Church were around safety for child daycare pick up and drop off which sounds reasonable.  This is the oldest uptown daycare program (going back to the 1950's) and is a core to the mission of the church.  So traffic patterns that can directly impact operations were a concern.  Daycare uptown is an asset to everyone especially after BAC closed its daycare.

Secondly, the church obtained control of the parking areas a long time ago when there was very little investment in uptown as developers and others were focusing on the suburbs including the city government.  Several churches left uptown for the suburbs as this church continued to reinvest in its location and uptown mission focus.  Therefore it may not be equitable to force or encourage a long time investor in uptown to change strategies because development economics have changed over the past five years.  Remember the church was the first church in uptown dating back to 1821.  That being said, I believe the church will eventually develop the site for church use.  BAC developed the Transamerica site and gave rights to parking for the adjacent church.  In 1995 this seemed like a long term commitment from a long term uptown investor (BAC).  But with the recent liquidation of BAC's uptown real estate it shows that a development partner's focus can change.  This is not a slam on BAC but just an example that real estate portfolios change over time.  So it can be difficult for a church that needs parking to enter into an agreement with a development partner and be assured that its parking will be available for another 100 years. 

• Like 2

Hear! Hear!  

I believe it would be nice to have more small cafes and small bistros around the uptown area. The problem is the cost of operating a business. To have a small uptown is requires one to rent space in a large building where the lease is costly.  Unfortunately, this drives out old businesses and discourages new 'small' businesses. I live in London half the time and I have noticed many of my 'old' favorite small restaurants moving out and being replaced by pizza chains and other large volume places. It would be nice to see more places like Latta Arcade develop.

I have been away for a long time and I have been unable to find out what is happening with the following locations. Would someone update me?

1. The space on N.Tryon just beyond Day's Inn on the left heading north.

2. The space on S. Tryon and 2nd (I believe) that is now empty but was Westbrook Ins. and Pound and Moore Co.

3. The tire place on Tryon (Firestone or Goodyear?)

4. The open spaces on the south side of Morehead near the stadium.

Any updates would be much appreciated.

I have been away for a long time and I have been unable to find out what is happening with the following locations. Would someone update me?

1. The space on N.Tryon just beyond Day's Inn on the left heading north.

2. The space on S. Tryon and 2nd (I believe) that is now empty but was Westbrook Ins. and Pound and Moore Co.

3. The tire place on Tryon (Firestone or Goodyear?)

4. The open spaces on the south side of Morehead near the stadium.

Any updates would be much appreciated.

1- http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/31786-skyhouse-charlotte-at-former-renaissance-place-site/

2- Not sure which project you're talking about, but I'm guessing 300 S Tryon: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/3971-300-south-tryon/?view=findpost&p=1074002&hl=%2B300+%2Bsouth+%2Btryon

3- http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/35729-crescent-project-at-tryon-stonewall-formerly-trump-charlotte/

4- http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/10863-freemore-projects-west-morehead-freedom-drive-bryant-park/?view=findpost&p=1261678&hl=%2Bfoundry

Spartan, thanks very much for the updates. I am disappointed that the 300 S. Tryon has been on hold so long and still remains vacant, although those "Honeymooners" structures (outside of Latta Arcade)  on the south side are really cool. Everything else is exciting.

It looks like Ballantyne Corporate Park is likely getting yet ANOTHER 11-story building per this posting from Eric Frazier: http://cltdevelopment.blogspot.com/2014/01/is-ballantyne-getting-new-11-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Come on now uptown... where's that spec office space that Bissell has no problem building?