Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

23 hours ago, kermit said:

Norfolk's system was badly stunted by RWNJ's in Virgina Beach who blocked the most logical expansion for an LRT ever. The stub line it is left with is well run, but serves a downtown that is not in good shape. Its kinda sad. They carry 310 riders per mile. 

Yep. Though, our downtown is doing just fine. The problem is with our light rail system. (Thanks to dang VB) Workers prefer to use cars to travel to downtown because our light rail only extends within our city limits. So, not only is the car traffic bad on a good amount of days, but the light rail is never packed unless its a holiday, a baseball game for the Tides, or a voting day. Luckily for us, our friendlier neighbors down in Chesapeake are open for expansion. So, expect a bigger line one day. 

Edited by mintscraft56
  • Like 4

Since we were speaking on Southeastern Rail transit systems.

Pete Buttigieg was in Miami. He said if the Metrorail extension wasn’t already in the front of his mind, the mayor of Miami made sure he left with that on the top of his mind. 

“The effort to extend the Metrorail north up 27th Avenue is estimated to cost about $2 billion. The county expects to spend the next year to 18 months working on design and engineering with the Florida Department of Transportation, but hopes to eventually seek as much as half that money from the $1 trillion infrastructure law that President Joe Biden signed in 2021, with the rest coming from state and local sources.

“These processes are very competitive, but Miami Dade and this community have demonstrated that they have been able to often succeed in very competitive processes,” said Buttigieg.”

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-gardens/article280639595.html

[North Corridor is the line being discussed]

IMG_5242.thumb.jpeg.29983ae8dc0910fbbce3dd5bdceec4ba.jpeg

Fingers crossed we get some action on Miami, Philly, Baltimore soon and hopefully some Charlotte Silver Line / Blue Line Extension action/momentum in the coming years. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, kermit said:

1) Sigh… https://www.wfae.org/politics/2024-01-07/n-c-dot-orders-cats-to-pull-all-older-light-rail-trains-from-service-over-new-wheel-problem

2) Weird reporting, wheel flat spots are not uncommon or a big deal. Seems like there is something else here for the state to respond like this?

Steve Harrison has always seemed like he has a hard-on for crapping on transit in Charlotte. Weird reporting or not, It feels like CATS is still very far away from providing more reliable and frequent service. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

Steve Harrison has always seemed like he has a hard-on for crapping on transit in Charlotte. Weird reporting or not, It feels like CATS is still very far away from providing more reliable and frequent service. 

enormous hard on for it. He's Pitchin' a Ringling Bros just to crap on transit.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, kermit said:

1) Sigh… https://www.wfae.org/politics/2024-01-07/n-c-dot-orders-cats-to-pull-all-older-light-rail-trains-from-service-over-new-wheel-problem

2) Weird reporting, wheel flat spots are not uncommon or a big deal. Seems like there is something else here for the state to respond like this?

I do have to say my train ride home tonight had a pretty persistent click/tap as the train went and now I know what that is.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CLT Development said:

I do have to say my train ride home tonight had a pretty persistent click/tap as the train went and now I know what that is.

I hate it when my grocery cart does that. Can't imagine that being the vehicle I'm riding in.

• Haha 2

Baltimore’s light rail service: What we know about the indefinite suspension – Baltimore Sun

Baltimore light rail got indefinitely suspended in December due to fire issues and as far as I know has not yet resumed service. Really not good and probably doing a lot of damage to future ridership. There are always lessons to be learned from things like this, so I hope CATS is paying attention.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Baltimore’s light rail service: What we know about the indefinite suspension – Baltimore Sun

Baltimore light rail got indefinitely suspended in December due to fire issues and as far as I know has not yet resumed service. Really not good and probably doing a lot of damage to future ridership. There are always lessons to be learned from things like this, so I hope CATS is paying attention.

I believe Baltimore resumed service last week.

• Thanks 1

There was some tiny progress towards CATS modernizing their ticket / pass system today. UNCC told their pass holders (all students and faculty/staff who buy an annual pass) that the pass will be moving to the wallet function of the CATS app.

This is a positive since the current system is very honors system oriented (checkers just look at the id, there is no checking to see if it is current). Perhaps CATS is finally starting to move towards a more robust system than currently exists (the only buying an online ticket when you see an inspector being the biggest loophole).

FWIW, the original plan when the BLE was opened was everybody would tap when boarding, and the UNCC is would be tapable. Despite the ‘tappers’ being installed on quite a few vehicles for a few months, this never materialized.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kermit said:

I like to think I am pretty tolerant of urban grit, but 9th Station after dark is an -adventure-. Never really felt unsafe, but there were about 10 people around the platform, several yelling, sometimes at nobody. I have been using the station after dark since the BLE opened and this the most uncomfortable I have been there.

Are there any police cameras at the stations? Not sure if they'd help, but seem to help here in London where folks know they are potentially being watched.

• Like 1