Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

No it will still be a while. An Intercontinental is all but confirmed, however hotels are notorious for waiting a really long time before they announce (see: Kimpton at 300 S Tryon)

Confirmed as the flagship Intercontinental brand or just a hotel from the Intercontinental group of brands that includes Crown Plaza and Holiday Inn?

7 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Confirmed as the flagship Intercontinental brand or just a hotel from the Intercontinental group of brands that includes Crown Plaza and Holiday Inn?

Both of those brands are already uptown. From what I heard there are two IHC brands in development downtown, I already know/have confirmed what one of them is, and where, and this developer of Carolina Theatre Hotel has a track record with IHC brands, and is promising a unique, high end flag that'll compete with Ritz Carlton. 1+1+1=3

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Do they plan on doing anything with the lobby? I know they are in the early planning stages. The rendering shows blank walls, that could be a great place to showcase art that would be highly visible from the street. Some cool light fixtures could be good as well.

Ah yea, another thing I forgot to mention.....the interior will be filled with art and will act as a museum of sorts (plans call to extend hours to be more than just Charlotte art behind glass we all loathe). There will most definitely not be these blank walls, and I am trying to remember but I think they're doing a chandelier too. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

American Airlines is adding a $100k donation (I know, nothing huge, but every bit counts) to the Carolina Theater and will provide mileage to guest lecturers and others acts once the theater opens. 

According to the Charlotte Disturber, the Carolina Foundation that owns the old Carolina Theater have collected 1.08 billion dollars in the past two years. There is no money issues, they should start immediately, right? No reason to keep us waiting.

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 1:21 PM, caterpillar2 said:

According to the Charlotte Disturber, the Carolina Foundation that owns the old Carolina Theater have collected 1.08 billion dollars in the past two years. There is no money issues, they should start immediately, right? No reason to keep us waiting.

That money wasn't for the theater restoration and building though.  That money was raised for endowments and scholarships.  Raising money for the theater restoration is probably a harder sell than endowment packages.

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 4:33 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

1 billion dollars?! Maybe CATS needs to put up donation jars around town to fund more mass transit...

4 hours ago, AuLukey said:

That money wasn't for the theater restoration and building though.  That money was raised for endowments and scholarships.  Raising money for the theater restoration is probably a harder sell than endowment packages.

They claim that they far underestimated the amount of 1 billion plus. They only needed 1/4 of that amount for the restoration of the theater. . Surely, they are good for starting not delaying any longer?

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

Man, I'm Johnny-come-lately on this project.  What an awesome rendering!  Artwork and custom chandelier would be amazing.  With an Intercontinental coming in, this venue should be quite the draw. 

The Intercontinental is not certain just speculative and the start date is in the air. Nobody can verify either.

• 1 month later...

According to the contract they are required to start construction by December 31st 2018 (18 months from now). I agree with caterpillar in that the property should have been sold to ARK. That way the city would have made half a million instead of a measly $1 and something would have at least been started by now. I have very little confidence that the foundation will be able to pull this off.

• Like 1