IN PROGRESS: WaterPlace | Intercontinental

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have been informed by a very good source that Intercontinental is currently in talks with a major insurance company to build a 13-14 floor corporate headquarters tower on the north side of the site. It should be 170-190 feet.

I do not know who the insurance company is as yet. Anyone else have any info?

Hi all,

I have been informed by a very good source that Intercontinental is currently in talks with a major insurance company to build a 13-14 floor corporate headquarters tower on the north side of the site. It should be 170-190 feet.

well, the 4 major players of the insurance world are in RI:

BCBS of RI - scattered about Providence and other parts of RI

Amica - Corp HQ is in Lincoln

MetLife - Divisional HQ in Warwick with other offices/facilities in WW and branches throughout RI

FM Global - Corp HQ is in Johnston

What would be really great is if the rumored insurance company is moving in from out of state. Maybe some of the ones in Boston or Hartford are looking for new digs??

The next best thing (IMO) would be to have BCBS of RI consolodate into one building in Providence. This would open up several class A spaces throughout Providence for new to the area or growing RI companies. Moving one of the other 3 from the burbs is a mixed bag of good and bad. Good for Providence but bad for the (tax rolls and job outlook) for the affected towns. If it is one of the other 3, then I would hope the move would be part of an acquisition of another, outside of RI company that would net additional RI jobs.

no matter who it is, I'm excited about yet another new building!

And yes - what about that location - right next the train station. Anything to feed the mass trasit system in RI is a good thing in my book!!

Last I heard the ink was drying on this deal.

I was told that the height of the new tower would be between the height of the two existing towers, and the design would fit with the other two, but be somewhat different.

And again, there's, shall we say, a strong likelihood that this new tower would still be in progress after the condo towers open for residency. Aren't the developers worried about the noise & general busy-ness of construction stunting their sales? I mean, we won't name any names, but there are a couple of other condo projects slated to hit the market in the near (or not-so-distant) future. You'd think timing might be somewhat of a concern in the matter. Maybe not, though.

Not that I'm complaining about this news. Just musing aloud, if you don't mind.

I was told that the height of the new tower would be between the height of the two existing towers, and the design would fit with the other two, but be somewhat different.

And again, there's, shall we say, a strong likelihood that this new tower would still be in progress after the condo towers open for residency. Aren't the developers worried about the noise & general busy-ness of construction stunting their sales? I mean, we won't name any names, but there are a couple of other condo projects slated to hit the market in the near (or not-so-distant) future. You'd think timing might be somewhat of a concern in the matter. Maybe not, though.

OK, not anywhere near versed in design and/or architechture as most of you in here, but wouldn't you want it to NOT be drastically differant than the surrounding structures. I mean to the point wher it doesn't fit in with the rest???

Archived