IN PROGRESS: WaterPlace | Intercontinental

I don't think closing off the waterway would make it cleaner. Quite the contrary actually. I think the flow of the river out to the ocean has more of a flushing effect. Otherwise you end up with a place for things (algae, etc.) to grow.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for the tidal levels, a sluice gate right near the "dude in the water" might be a good way to keep the river levels maintained. Close the gates at low tide, open them at high tide and during heavy rainfall, etc. I suppose the hurricane barrier could be used if there weren't any boat traffic.

The big problem, as always, maintanence.

frankie, what you propose would be fine if the city had the money to maintain it. Trying to maintain an artificial ecosystem even on that scale is expensive, doubly so if you want to let people take a dip.

I like it. But then I liked Gtech's random glass too. :P

Some details of this building remind me a bit of communist-era eastern European housing blocks (these windows, for example). However, I do think there is enough in the design to make it much more interesing and attractive than those.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good!

That pic brings to mind the impact development on parcel 12 and the surface lot across Exchange St. would have on visually connecting Downcity and Capital Center. visualize both lots with attractive buildigns, and Exchange St. becomes an uninterrupted urban vista from Kennedy Plaza to the State House.

Looking good!

That pic brings to mind the impact development on parcel 12 and the surface lot across Exchange St. would have on visually connecting Downcity and Capital Center. visualize both lots with attractive buildigns, and Exchange St. becomes an uninterrupted urban vista from Kennedy Plaza to the State House.

I totally agree. For me, i think it is the white framing on the windows. It just looks cheap and vinyl-y. I was dropping my wife off at work this morning (she gets to watch the buildings going up everyday) and she said " i am waiting for this to not look ugly".

I dig the facade, but those windows....

Gotta agree about the effect those windows are having. I think it is because they are horizontal instead of veritcal. Reminds me of uglified city ghettos from the 1970's . Yikes, if these buildings end up fugly I just might owe Dr. Downtown an apology.

Archived