IN PROGRESS: WaterPlace | Intercontinental

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wonder if they can do some sort of "rent to own" type deal where you rent them for a certain period and then decide to buy it, perhaps with using the rent you already paid (or a portion of it) as part of the down payment (no idea what the rent there would go for).

• 3 months later...

I definitely agree with your comment about balance, but I do believe the lights are not particularly reaching their potential. The architects put so much effort into making the top floor faceted walls a feature, yet the lighting does nothing to illuminate them. Why not play up those surface breaks at night?

It seems as though the spreads of light read much too horizontal and low on the majority of sides, which contrasts the only wall with true vertical lighting (that facing the East Side).

I wondered about that contrast too, although I like it for now... I'll have to look at it more.

skyline lighting is something we'll have to fight for in the future!

Agree.

Textron still disappoints me...it would be a great addition to the Financial Center and view from Rt 195.

- Garris

I took a closer look at the tower lighting last night... I think it's much more successful from the downtown street level than it is the highway - the faceted walls are completely lost at highway distance.

I'm wondering if the contrast in lighting is to reinforce the idea of a grouping of several buildings as opposed to two towers?

• 2 weeks later...

I think an editorial from one of the visiting city planners rather than the consulting engineer for Capital Center might have been a more impartial source. But Mr. Spilliane does make the obvious point that overall, capital center has been a success for the city. The argument could be made that it has taken a very long time to reach this point and that not all of the architecture (G-tech, H2O Condo's) get high grades. And that it still is a work in progress and if the existing buildings under construction and those coming in the future don't distinguish themselves then the entire area might be pulled down.

But the creation of Capital Center moved the rivers, created Waterplace park and the river walk which then set the stage for Waterfire. So from that standpoint it is a success. And a source of pride.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived