IN PROGRESS: WaterPlace | Intercontinental

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cotuit, I have those same pictures saved in Photobucket. I tried to hotlink them in my last post but couldn't. Anyway, suffice to say, that model is exactly what I had in mind when I referred to the geometric variation.

I'm a fan of the curves myself. :thumbsup:

people live in the avalon and they're building right across the street.

Cotuit, I have those same pictures saved in Photobucket. I tried to hotlink them in my last post but couldn't. Anyway, suffice to say, that model is exactly what I had in mind when I referred to the geometric variation.

I'm a fan of the curves myself. :thumbsup:

But the owner of the Avalon has no control over that, I presume, whereas the owners of Waterplace have some measure of control over what they build on their own land. And if there's a chance that the new construction adversely affects their sales, well ...

But maybe they're not worried. If anyone has confidence in the strength of the Providence condo market, I suppose it ought to be the developers of Waterplace.

I wonder if its something being snagged from a non-providence suburb, like Met Life in WW, the governor might feel that the negative impacts there might be more than the positive impacts to providence?

Id much rather see it in Providence, but that could be the governors approach?

As i understand the issue, there is concern that a regulated business would build a class A office building and would send the wrong image to the public. AS a regulated business, the office of Bus. Reg. can only stop the project if it were to have a negative impact on the cash flow of the insurance company. I'm told that is not the case. The gov's concern I think is perception, should this company have this kind of space in this prime location. Word I hear is that the company wants some more reassurances that the deal is really what the developers are saying it is and are asking their lawyers for a few more opinions layered on the various contracts. I heard that it will be two or three weeks for the lawyers to make the company happy. If they do, then the deal goes forward and the plans go to capital center. I would think late April meeting, not early april meeting.

A few points.

1- I was told the design is corporate, so I suspect it will be more glass

2- it will be placed in a different angl than the design model and, as Thom said, the 4th small building would not be built

3- I was told that the developer wants this corporate building to move ahead ASAP and they have no condo sales concerns...they see the corporate addition to the site as a nice quiet neighbor, an asset to creating a busy daytime area

4- Why in the world would the Governor be opposed to this project? Builds on the skyline, fills a void, adds corporate activity to the Capital Center...

As i understand the issue, there is concern that a regulated business would build a class A office building and would send the wrong image to the public. AS a regulated business, the office of Bus. Reg. can only stop the project if it were to have a negative impact on the cash flow of the insurance company. I'm told that is not the case. The gov's concern I think is perception, should this company have this kind of space in this prime location. Word I hear is that the company wants some more reassurances that the deal is really what the developers are saying it is and are asking their lawyers for a few more opinions layered on the various contracts. I heard that it will be two or three weeks for the lawyers to make the company happy. If they do, then the deal goes forward and the plans go to capital center. I would think late April meeting, not early april meeting.

If this means no E@B then maybe that's his concern. Or maybe he is worried that shifting stuff to the CD at the expense of the rest of downtown would be bad. If BCBS (who else is actually in town right now) moves here and the pink monstrosity sits empty along with their space along Empire/Greene St. then it is a net zero. I don't think that would happen, but I can see the concern.

Archived