IN PROGRESS: WaterPlace | Intercontinental

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who staggered through the Providence of the 1960's, when the only things that seemed to be added to the city were dirt and litter, may I say that I am absolutely ASTOUNDED at what is going on in Prov these days. Somehow I don't think any of us old fools ever saw Providence as a commuter suburb to Boston. We wondered why Textron stayed in Providence, never mind somebody like G-Tech locating there.

I envy you folks who are there for this time of change. I picture the spirit of Roger Williams thinking, "It's about time, folks." And his brother, Sherwin, must be getting a lot of work (a tip of the hat to Don Bousquet). :rolleyes:

Yo, Cotuit, your pictures are marvelous! Please keep up the good work! Not forgetting the rest who submit pix! Thanks, everyone!

Yes, I'm envious, but I wouldn't deny Providence one smidgen of what may yet be its finest hour! :lol:

Okay, okay, I'm going to take my medication now...

As someone who staggered through the Providence of the 1960's, when the only things that seemed to be added to the city were dirt and litter, may I say that I am absolutely ASTOUNDED at what is going on in Prov these days. Somehow I don't think any of us old fools ever saw Providence as a commuter suburb to Boston. We wondered why Textron stayed in Providence, never mind somebody like G-Tech locating there.

I envy you folks who are there for this time of change. I picture the spirit of Roger Williams thinking, "It's about time, folks." And his brother, Sherwin, must be getting a lot of work (a tip of the hat to Don Bousquet). :rolleyes:

Yo, Cotuit, your pictures are marvelous! Please keep up the good work! Not forgetting the rest who submit pix! Thanks, everyone!

Yes, I'm envious, but I wouldn't deny Providence one smidgen of what may yet be its finest hour! :lol:

Okay, okay, I'm going to take my medication now...

that was inspiring. i guess it really is in the perspective. when i rail on providence's shortcomings, maybe i should imagine trying to leave here 30 years ago!

on this topic, does anyone else think these buildings just really are ugly and unattractive? i have nothing to agree on with brussat, b/c i don't claim that they need to be classical and mimic come older architectural style. but i've tried to look at them and like them, and particularly in the daylight, i just can't seem to do it. they just look ugly to me..particularly from the state house side.

on this topic, does anyone else think these buildings just really are ugly and unattractive? i have nothing to agree on with brussat, b/c i don't claim that they need to be classical and mimic come older architectural style. but i've tried to look at them and like them, and particularly in the daylight, i just can't seem to do it. they just look ugly to me..particularly from the state house side.

I was biased against them from the start, because I *hated* the renderings of Waterplace. In fact, I still hate them. You can see them for yourself on their website. Lousy renderings, really. But the more the actual buildings come together, the more I find I like them. I was particularly skeptical about the crowns of the buildings, which when last I saw them a couple of weeks ago, looked really good to me.

I've become optimistic about them, and I think I'll like them even better when the BCBS HQ is sitting next door.

They are different. Nothing about them screams, "Providence!" But is that a crime? And after all, thank god they're not more brick.

well all the more reason to get going on the new BCBS building, sicne that will be pretty and glass and a much nicer view form the state house

who knows, maybe it was intentional, no sense in fancying up a facade that would be blocked within a year or two by another building

well all the more reason to get going on the new BCBS building, sicne that will be pretty and glass and a much nicer view form the state house

who knows, maybe it was intentional, no sense in fancying up a facade that would be blocked within a year or two by another building

Very interesting. Now, that was taken from the groundfloor space slated to become a restaurant, is that correct?

And if so, do we know what restaurant (or more generally, what genre of restaurant, as Garris might say) is projected to fill that space?

One way or another, that's a darn impressive view. Of course, I'm biased. :wub:

Very interesting. Now, that was taken from the groundfloor space slated to become a restaurant, is that correct?

And if so, do we know what restaurant (or more generally, what genre of restaurant, as Garris might say) is projected to fill that space?

One way or another, that's a darn impressive view. Of course, I'm biased. :wub:

I hate the idea of it, but I was under the impression that it was going to be a Morton's Steakhouse which in my mind would be not only redundant but a horrible waste of a good space. I think this might have just been rumor/idle speculation.

Speaking of which, I was also under the impression that the Providence Place Mall would be getting a Melting Pot restaurant but can't find any credible mention of that either. Sorry for the tangent.

I hate the idea of it, but I was under the impression that it was going to be a Morton's Steakhouse which in my mind would be not only redundant but a horrible waste of a good space. I think this might have just been rumor/idle speculation.

Speaking of which, I was also under the impression that the Providence Place Mall would be getting a Melting Pot restaurant but can't find any credible mention of that either. Sorry for the tangent.

Archived