Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/10/12/jll-marketingoffice-space-at-crescent-communities.html

Additional perspective on above conversation.  Article mentions JLL as possible tenant. Based on a quick calculation from the article, if that is true then JLL could potentially take up 200K sq ft at Tryon Place.

Edited by J-Rob
Additional Info

29 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/10/12/jll-marketingoffice-space-at-crescent-communities.html

Additional perspective on above conversation.  Article mentions JLL as possible tenant. Based on a quick calculation from the article, if that is true then JLL could potentially take up 200K sq ft at Tryon Place.

You are reading it wrong. The article says the building "is 86% occupied and leased by JLL". But the 86% is to all tenants of the building, not just JLL. JLL only leases suite 300 and I wont say how many SF it is (I dont think that its published outside of the OM) but its only a few thousand.

12 minutes ago, jwntim said:

You are reading it wrong. The article says the building "is 86% occupied and leased by JLL". But the 86% is to all tenants of the building, not just JLL. JLL only leases suite 300 and I wont say how many SF it is (I dont think that its published outside of the OM) but its only a few thousand.

JLL only occupies 29,120 sq feet. 

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Ah. My apologies.

Its cool. You got me so worked up that I had to find out how much they leased, so if anything you inspired me to get info I didn't already have. 

The city did a really cool thing by allowing the Goodyear building to be used as a temporary experimental art gallery, so I can understand a twinge of disappointment in seeing it go away, but of course its wildly unrealistic to expect something like that to stay in that location. Many people who don't make an effort to understand urban development will tend to see any change as a negative one, whether that's tearing something down or building something new. Anyway I hope that the art gallery concept and the reception it got could lead to trying this again in another building or demonstrate the need for some more mural walls around town.

3 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

The city did a really cool thing by allowing the Goodyear building to be used as a temporary experimental art gallery, so I can understand a twinge of disappointment in seeing it go away, but of course its wildly unrealistic to expect something like that to stay in that location. Many people who don't make an effort to understand urban development will tend to see any change as a negative one, whether that's tearing something down or building something new. Anyway I hope that the art gallery concept and the reception it got could lead to trying this again in another building or demonstrate the need for some more mural walls around town.

But they moved it to a new building... thats whats so stupid about this. Its at 516 N. College now.

http://goodyeararts.com/

34 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

But they moved it to a new building... thats whats so stupid about this. Its at 516 N. College now.

http://goodyeararts.com/

Ok awesome, I had no idea about that. Of course if things actually go to plan in Levine land then that building won't be around long either.

I agree its an extremely stupid thing to be upset over, but I guess not everyone understood that that was always the plan, and the gallery was always meant to be temporary.

Edited by nonillogical

3 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Hopefully the city can put up a plaque commemorating the time Abraham Lincoln got his oil changed there.  Or at the very least, George Washington's tire rotation.

I feel like the majority of time you post it's some cleverly funny comment. Have you considered standup?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nonillogical said:

For the record it wasnt the city that allowed it. It was Crescent. They own the property and building. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Haha, I appreciate that.  But no, definitely not.  Just trying to keep things light around here.  For a message board on buildings, crap seems to get too serious around here sometimes.

And I genuinely appreciate that. Some people are a little uptight on here.

• Like 3

I know I'm totally off topic here. But it really is a shame, in hindsight, that LH didn't do some sort of an arts program with the Observer building. That is, presuming there were a good bit of time before construction got rolling. Looking back, the observer building could've made for a mighty fine home to a museum; plus it had fantastic proximity to our other uptown arts buildings. If LH doesn't build in the short term, I see this as a missed opportunity. Even if it were a temporary art exhibit. That building would been iconic plastered in local art.

7 hours ago, AuLukey said:

I know I'm totally off topic here. But it really is a shame, in hindsight, that LH didn't do some sort of an arts program with the Observer building. That is, presuming there were a good bit of time before construction got rolling. Looking back, the observer building could've made for a mighty fine home to a museum; plus it had fantastic proximity to our other uptown arts buildings. If LH doesn't build in the short term, I see this as a missed opportunity. Even if it were a temporary art exhibit. That building would been iconic plastered in local art.

Heres the thing with Goodyear, and even more so Charlotte Observer. Doing something interesting with either of those buildings on as valuable of land as they are on, would just not make economical sense. I'm close with a couple people on the observer staff, and occasionally write for their online site, per them, It was filthy, rat infested, and falling apart. Buying the observer building, doing the necessary renovations, and then making a dime. Probably not happening.