Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

1 hour ago, Miesian Corners said:

So in other words, it'll be very Charlotte. 

2 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

That's good, right? I think Charlotte has some really great structures except for the UNC building in 1st Ward and oh yea, the condos next to the arena are kind of ugly too.,

I'm thinking that means lots of blue, which isn't necessary a bad thing, but the green was on point.  That's disappointing! 

• Like 1

My guess is they are VEing the tower itself to funnel more money to the ground floor. It's the lesser of the emails. They have only so many $$ to throw at this project. If keeping the ground floor top of the line means chilling out the design on the tower, I am okay with that. Not every tower is going to be an icon like Duke, Hearst, Jukebox, BofA, etc

8 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Not every tower is going to be an icon like Duke, Hearst, Jukebox, BofA, etc

While thats true, imo this tower as originally proposed would have been among them (granted going for a VERY different look). I'll reserve judgement until I see an updated rendering, just hoping that there's still something distinctive about it. 

• Like 2

Just to remind everyone(with the green glass) of RDF's outstanding rendering from a while back.. I'm sure these are pretty time consuming, but i would like to see an updated one with placeholders for the Observer site and anything else that is missing.  Maybe a view from South End.

charlotte-uptown-skyline-2017_zpsiluwxdst.jpg

Edited by NikolaTesla

Will wait to see an updated rendering for final judgement, but this sounds rather disappointing. There is a saying "Under sell, over deliver"... Not the other way around. Though, this isn't the first time to happen either.

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NikolaTesla said:

Just to remind everyone(with the green glass) of RDF's outstanding rendering from a while back.. I'm sure these are pretty time consuming, but i would like to see an updated one with placeholders for the Observer site and anything else that is missing.  Maybe a view from South End.

charlotte-uptown-skyline-2017_zpsiluwxdst.jpg

I'll see if I have that still. I did that over several lunch breaks at the job I just quit.

I'm with Jayvee on this one.  I would prefer to see more emphasis on street presence even if it does require a little bit of sacrifice on the architectural side.  While it is a very attractive building in the current renderings, it is not breathtaking like the proposed One Charlotte or Trump Towers so I do not think much will be lost if they remove some of the "interesting" architectural elements.  Plus Charlotte already does have a skyline full of iconic buildings.  I dare say we have the most iconic skyline for a city our size.  What we lack are buildings that really engage the street in a meaningful way.  So I am more concerned about the street element.

I do wish they would revert to the site plan that maintains the Diehl law firm building.  I think that building would add an interesting and more human-scale element to the overall siteplan.

10 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

I'm with Jayvee on this one.  I would prefer to see more emphasis on street presence even if it does require a little bit of sacrifice on the architectural side.  While it is a very attractive building in the current renderings, it is not breathtaking like the proposed One Charlotte or Trump Towers so I do not think much will be lost if they remove some of the "interesting" architectural elements.  Plus Charlotte already does have a skyline full of iconic buildings.  I dare say we have the most iconic skyline for a city our size.  What we lack are buildings that really engage the street in a meaningful way.  So I am more concerned about the street element.

I do wish they would revert to the site plan that maintains the Diehl law firm building.  I think that building would add an interesting and more human-scale element to the overall siteplan.

I agree that the street presence is more important, but has anything actually pointed to needing to sacrifice quality/detail up top to achieve what was promised at street level? I just think that with what info we have it sounds like standard value-engineering, not funneling money towards the street to deliver something even better than what we've seen.

• Like 1