Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Who cares what Raleigh gets out in the scruburbs...

3 minutes ago, mpretori said:

One thing I find interesting that Tryon Place reduced in size and scope while Raleigh is about to have their possibly tallest building being built. 

Proposed Tower 4. Rendering below. Developer: kanerealtycorp. http://www.kanerealtycorp.com/project/tower-4/

Tower-4-2.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mpretori said:

I do. The developer just upped a standard HQ building to this. Something they are doing is working. 

Building in the suburbs near where rich and upper middle class people live so they have an easy drive to work and don't have to work on streets with homeless people. Same formula for why Ballantyne can throw a building up spec and it gets leased by big corporations and South Park is popular with boutique investment, wealth management, accounting, and law firms. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Building in the suburbs near where rich and upper middle class people live so they have an easy drive to work and don't have to work on streets with homeless people. Same formula for why Ballantyne can throw a building up spec and it gets leased by big corporations and South Park is popular with boutique investment, wealth management, accounting, and law firms. 

I understand, but amidst the HB2 economic hit. How is Raleigh weathering this lightly? Does Raleigh not have much spec building in the first place or what? 

14 minutes ago, mpretori said:

I understand, but amidst the HB2 economic hit. How is Raleigh weathering this lightly? Does Raleigh not have much spec building in the first place or what? 

Central Raleigh has way less office square footage than Central Charlotte. Raleigh, as a tech town, is playing catch up to get Class A office tower space for firms that don't want to be in a sprawling suburban office parks out in the RTP. In Charlotte, legal firms, banks, accounting firms, etc... have had many options for years. In Raleigh, new buildings for these types of firms were ignored for sprawling tech campuses in the suburbs. Now that Raleigh is adding more Class A office space in the CBD, the service firms are coming back (such as Bank of America's consolidation of all offices at the North Hills development). And yes, Raleigh's spec space coming online is 25% of Charlotte's. 

Raleigh CBD (in loop):
12.2 million square feet in existing office inventory
528k is vacant (4.3%)
417k under construction

Charlotte CBD (includes Midtown):
26.2 million square feet in existing office inventory
1.5 million is vacant (5.8%)
1.3 million is under construction

Regardless, there are not enough corporate relocations in Charlotte or Raleigh to fill all this office square footage being built. NC needs to rely on organic growth by firms already here.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

Any shrinkage of this building is due to the amount of space coming online uptown. This includes the obvious 300 South Tryon about 50% preleased leaving 300K of new space and there is over 300K in the 615 South College. Not to mention the renovation of the 300 South Brevard tower which is 360K sq ft.  US Bank and Duke and Wells are the most likely anchor tenants which one of them will go to the Lincoln Harris tower across the street I believe. Hotels are notoriously difficult to finance and the boom of new rooms may be slowing down especially with higher rates.

As for Kane's North Hills Midtown development not even comparable. The 30 story tower is 20 stories of apartment and 10 of hotel rooms thus it will top out about 360 feet no where close to be the tallest in the city. Plus a 20 story office tower is planned but the tower is only 12 floors over 8 levels of podium parking. I like this development but ask anyone is Raleigh and I am betting they would prefer it to be downtown not on their Beltline.    The point is if this tower gets off the ground soon along the Lincoln Harris and the 2 underway and 1 more being renovated we have a lot more going on than almost anywhere in the country and that includes many bigger peer cities. Buildings have to make financial sense in order to get built.  I think the future is Bright! 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, JBS said:

Under-promise, over-deliver.  I understand the economics of HB2 and everything else but the look of that garage fronting Stonewall is, IMO, unforgivable...

Well this has all been one big tease...

Please read all the posts on the images and the details surrounding them. 

1. The garage will NOT look like that in the final product

2. This is a rendering focusing on the plaza, Little didn't render the deck

3. There will be a phase 2 that will do stuff on this corner

4. The garage does not front Stonewall on the ground floor, retail does. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Please read all the posts on the images and the details surrounding them. 

1. The garage will NOT look like that in the final product

2. This is a rendering focusing on the plaza, Little didn't render the deck

3. There will be a phase 2 that will do stuff on this corner

4. The garage does not front Stonewall on the ground floor, retail does. 

Why publish the rendering though if it's not complete? Just doesn't make sense. 

7 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

So we get a scaled back version of Tryon Place and meanwhile in Miami.......

(pic courtesy of skyscraper page.com forum)

Miami-World-Center-Metrorail-Station.jpg

This has been CONSIDERABLY downsized as well. The mall is axed. Instead, the developer is proceeded with a retail 'high street.'

6 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Why wouldn't people want to work on streets with homeless people ?

49 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Why publish the rendering though if it's not complete? Just doesn't make sense. 

To give tenants an idea of what they can lease. Also, people on here (though I'm sure no one actually cares) go crazy for even the slightest details or partial renderings. 

7 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

To give tenants an idea of what they can lease. Also, people on here (though I'm sure no one actually cares) go crazy for even the slightest details or partial renderings. 

Thank you. Developers create renderings for the people who will actually help the developer gain back their investment (spoiler alert: those folks dont care about a deck wrap, they care about street visibility, rent and viability of an investment), not for us development nerds to pick apart and critique. 

• Like 3

At first glance, I'm a little disappointed that the office tower is being scaled back. Not so much because of the height, but more because I thought it was a sleek looking tower and would have looked really cool coming up from South End or 277. However, if they are reducing this from a say ~550' tower to something more like 400' and adding retail components (not just restaurants) to give us that much needed pedestrian experience on Stonewall, then that's ok by me. Even better actually. That's transformative in itself. From all indications, you'll get your height bang with the Lincoln Harris office tower that's not far behind so in the end it's a wash if not a win. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Not much opportunity for a "easy drive" to work these days from most "rich and upper class" people. 

Edited by caterpillar2

Heard through the grapevine, the building will now only be 21-stories. 

This is correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heard through the grapevine, the building will now only be 21-stories. 

This is correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Wow, 40 to 21. Better than that parking lot i suppose. 

21 is still tall considering its an office tower. And 21 stories is fine considering the height around it and it adds density. Besides, imagine how classy a tall Tryon Place, CO building and Duke Energy Center would look all side by side 

8 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

21 is still tall considering its an office tower. And 21 stories is fine considering the height around it and it adds density. Besides, imagine how classy a tall Tryon Place, CO building and Duke Energy Center would look all side by side 

True. They could have scrapped it and sold the land, but they are still developing it. Hope it doesn't get value engineered. 

Edited by mpretori

I will echo the sentiments about being thankful that this site at least will not remain a parking deck... Who knows maybe it would have ultimately turned into an either or scenario with LH's site and we would have gotten only one project. We will still get office towers above 300 feet that will add to the overall density of uptown. I'll take it any day of the week. We have height, we need density now...

• Like 1

Tryon Place has floated around from being a 27 story office tower to 36 then to over 40 and now to 21.  This is how it is done when your tower is not started and market conditions change. They are responding to market conditions which remember back when this was first announced there was no Lincoln Harris tower.  I just want it started and 21 stories is fine with me it will still be better than a surface parking lot. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1