Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

These are some new renderings I think for Tryon Place with a freestanding retail/restaurant building. http://www.crescentcommunities.com/businesses/commercial-mixed-use/tryon-place

and I don't see a hotel anymore just a large parking garage with retail on ground level. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

These are some new renderings I think for Tryon Place with a freestanding retail/restaurant building. http://www.crescentcommunities.com/businesses/commercial-mixed-use/tryon-place

and I don't see a hotel anymore just a large parking garage with retail on ground level. 

Yup, more soon....Hotel is gonna be a "phase 2" of sorts. Also these renderings focus on the plaza, the garage will be much better masked

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

This feels like a big letdown now compared to the old renderings. Exposed parking deck cheapens the feel of the whole thing, there's not much engagement with the street without entering this plaza (guess we haven't learned our lesson on those), and even there everything is glassy and cold ala Founder's Hall renovation. What I can see of the buildings above street level looks very conventional Charlotte compared to the old tower design, so my hopes for architectural interest are quite low now. 

1 minute ago, nonillogical said:

This feels like a big letdown now compared to the old renderings. Exposed parking deck cheapens the feel of the whole thing, there's not much engagement with the street without entering this plaza (guess we haven't learned our lesson on those), and even there everything is glassy and cold ala Founder's Hall renovation. What I can see of the buildings above street level looks very conventional Charlotte compared to the old tower design, so my hopes for architectural interest are quite low now. 

Just wait til you see how short it got. LOL

Having seen more of the product and more final images (strange these are the ones they put out there), I will say this: yes the project isn't as glossy and revolutionary as previously announced but there are a few things at play here.

1. its shorter because the market won't bear that much spec.

2. There is going to be an above ground garage, NO MATTER WHAT. Too much hard rock on this site to go town, would add nearly $30 mil to the project. Not gonna happen. At least the deck is grounded by retail on Stonewall

3. All that space facing the streets and plaza is retail, not lobby. Renderings make it feel a bit cold but they are using a lot more materials and patio decking than shown. 

Is it different and scaled back than before? Sure. They didn't properly manage expectations but whatever. Still a great project and there will be a 2nd development phase to it. 

• Like 4

Honestly, I'll echo Jayvee's comments. I've seen some of their marketing deck, there is some sweet stuff. Its going to be a monster from the pedestrian scale. Yes its cold and glassy, but they have signed a few local and regional heavy weights for retail tenants. Tryon Place will hopefully blow you guys away when all is said and done.

Also, not everything HAS to be 600+ feet. Its okay to have something in the 400 foot range. 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Honestly, I'll echo Jayvee's comments. I've seen some of their marketing deck, there is some sweet stuff. Its going to be a monster from the pedestrian scale. Yes its cold and glassy, but they have signed a few local and regional heavy weights for retail tenants. Tryon Place will hopefully blow you guys away when all is said and done.

When will we hear about these tenants......?

20 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Also, not everything HAS to be 600+ feet. Its okay to have something in the 400 foot range. 

I was in DC last week, and obviously no building in DC proper is that tall, but as I was walking around I kept thinking it would be great if Charlotte could attract more high quality mid-rise/density projects.  I love walking around in DC.

• Like 3

Just now, J-Rob said:

I was in DC last week, and obviously no building in DC proper is that tall, but as I was walking around I kept thinking it would be great if Charlotte could attract more high quality mid-rise/density projects.  I love walking around in DC.

Thats the intention of the North Tryon Corridor. Striving to be more like DC.

21 minutes ago, AP3 said:

When will we hear about these tenants......?

Time will Tell dude...

How can Charlotte ever be like DC. Charlotte is more akin to a modern city. Alexandria/DC is more old and historic city. I am just amazed Crescent didn't survey the land before making the renderings and budgeting. Also looks like the lawyer's parcel is still untouched from the updated renderings. Maybe developers can learn from this and tame expectations during initial announcements. 

4 minutes ago, mpretori said:

How can Charlotte ever be like DC. Charlotte is more akin to a modern city. Alexandria/DC is more old and historic city. I am just amazed Crescent didn't survey the land before making the renderings and budgeting. Also looks like the lawyer's parcel is still untouched from the updated renderings. Maybe developers can learn from this and tame expectations during initial announcements. 

I'm assuming this is in reference to them not being able to bury parking, and I'm going to go ahead and defend them on this. $30M extra is a lot to pin on a spec building, enough to not make it feasible. Wells Fargo dug 10 floors into the same bedrock, but heres the difference, they were funding the entire building themselves. 

As far as the Lawyers site goes... yea... hes being Bill Diehl, the Donald Trump of Charlotte.

Edited by Guest

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm assuming this is in reference to them not being able to bury parking, and I'm going to go ahead and defend them on this. $30M extra is a lot to pin on a spec building, enough to not make it feasible. Wells Fargo dug 10 floors into the same bedrock, but heres the difference, they were funding the entire building themselves. 

Correct me if i'm wrong. But did the previous renderings/blueprints not have underground parking? Did they not know the cost before making the renderings? 

Just now, mpretori said:

Correct me if i'm wrong. But did the previous renderings/blueprints not have underground parking? Did they not know the cost before making the renderings? 

They have never had underground parking on this site. 

All the developers are seeing how every new job announcement seems to be in the suburbs and going "maybe this much spec Uptown isn't such a good idea." Heck, even Wells Fargo is now moving new job growth to Ballantyne and tech companies like Credit Karma are going to settle out there. Uptown seems frozen with Wells, Duke, and BAC as the heavy lifters and I'm not sure if that is going to change much. 

1 minute ago, CLT2014 said:

All the developers are seeing how every new job announcement seems to be in the suburbs and going "maybe this much spec Uptown isn't such a good idea." Heck, even Wells Fargo is now moving new job growth to Ballantyne and tech companies like Credit Karma are going to settle out there. Uptown seems frozen with Wells, Duke, and BAC as the heavy lifters and I'm not sure if that is going to change much. 

Wells is planning expansions in both markets, uptown and bally

26 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

So we get a scaled back version of Tryon Place and meanwhile in Miami.......

(pic courtesy of skyscraper page.com forum)

Miami-World-Center-Metrorail-Station.jpg

Being built in a city that did not experience and economic hit quite like HB2. The cost of going spec definitely isn't a cheap one, but I can't help but wonder if HB2 has a big part of the downscaling. 

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, mpretori said:

How can Charlotte ever be like DC. Charlotte is more akin to a modern city.

My DC comment was related to the scale and density of the buildings, along with the walkability of the city, rather than the architectural styles of the buildings in DC.  There is still a ton of undeveloped or underdeveloped land inside the 277 loop that won't be filled with high-rises anytime soon.  Rather than fill the 277 with a spattering of high-rises next to surface lots, I think it would create a more exciting atmosphere to increase the density of quality build mid-rises (not stick built) as opposed to adding a tower here and there.  Hopefully Brooklyn Village helps with this down the Stonewall corridor, and as RDF mentioned, hopefully the master-plan for the North Tryon Corridor is realized as well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Wells is planning expansions in both markets, uptown and bally

Will be great if WFC continues to expand in Uptown. It just seems like Uptown is not attracting employers outside of the big banks + Duke. As a developer, I'd be a little nervous that those tenants are so vital to the submarket.  AT&T and Westinghouse vacated space in favor of the suburbs. It seems like in the battle between Uptown vs. the suburban markets, nobody has been moving from the suburbs to the city, but employers have been moving from the city to the suburbs. 

I don't care much at all about the reduced height, and I know it was always intended to have above-ground parking. However that parking was well-masked by the hotel, which I am shocked they are dropping. The changes on paper aren't that significant but the difference in feel between those 2 renderings is huge. While its obviously not that bad, the new rendering kind of reminds me of the dead retail plaza and deck across from the courthouse at Mcdowell and 4th.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

I don't care much at all about the reduced height, and I know it was always intended to have above-ground parking. However that parking was well-masked by the hotel, which I am shocked they are dropping. The changes on paper aren't that significant but the difference in feel between those 2 renderings is huge. While its obviously not that bad, the new rendering kind of reminds me of the dead retail plaza and deck across from the courthouse at Mcdowell and 4th.

They didn't drop it. A certain short, fat, old ginger is standing in the way of the hotel. Its part of phase 2.