Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

48 minutes ago, RANYC said:

What struck me last night was that during the entire length of my drive through Uptown, I didn't see a single police officer on foot.  Not even a police vehicle on this particular night.

If we want a downtown where growing numbers of people stroll and linger, I do think the city will need to do a bit more than it currently does.  Some downtowns have experimented with ambassador programs, where trained personnel walk the streets in conspicuous dress to provide assistance and direction to visitors, to ensure the surrounding environment is hospitable, and to serve as symbols of security, of surveillance and as deterrents to would-be scofflaws and menaces.

Your experience is pretty much the rule and not the exception.  There’s is Scant police presence anywhere downtown. We thought when they opened up that new precinct over by Gateway between 5/6th, that we’d see a difference, but nope.  Mustangs and Chargers and the like race down Graham completely undeterred, with that station only 2 blocks away.    I thought you were going to say you didn’t see one police car downtown, and that wasn’t surprising, but when I realized you said “on foot”, I guffawed a little.  I don’t think they make those anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, 49er said:

There used to be "Uptown Ambassadors" like 20 years ago. They had police radios assigned to them. I think Center City Partners ran the program. 

Yes to this. Young men in pairs, as I recall, with shirts to match. I knew a young man who had this job and he was just perfect for it. I wish I knew where he was now.

• Like 2

There is still some type of uptown ambassadors program (in orange shirts and grey slacks).  Not sure they carry radios or not.  I do see them on occasion., however.

Also, the police presence uptown is not very good - never see any on foot.  There are some on bikes but they usually ride together in groups of

2, 3 or 4 and sometime congregate together at Trade and Tryon.   If the large group of off road motorcycles and 4- wheelers of bikes that love to block traffic uptown pass by

they just ignore them.  Gone are the days of old when they were posted on foot at Square all day.  I am sure the budget does not allow for that anymore.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, RANYC said:

This morning, I listened to yesterday's Charlotte Talks episode about Charlotte's surge in annual traffic fatalities, speeding, and traffic citations and enforcement.  Key takeaway on enforcement is that CMPD is down a bunch of officers, having a tough time recruiting officers to police urban areas, and spending scarce resources and energy on increases in violent crime rather than traffic violations. 

I'd like to propose Charlotte have a Police Appreciation Day.  I understand there are some bad and/or rogue ones out there just like there are in every field, but the lion's share of them take up the daily dirty work of seeing the worst of humanity on display, and they step into these grimy situations in place of people like me who'd like to steer clear of such messy predicaments.  Yes, there may be systemic roots to much of the awful things we see around us, but while sorting out the root causes, someone's gotta deal with the present-day symptoms, and that's the police.  I, for one, am thankful for them and would like to institutionalize Charlotte's show of appreciation for what they do.  

Most first responders are recognized and appreciated around 9/11 every year.  It's a thankless job and I appreciate the sacrifice.  But, most officers I observe routinely ignore basic traffic laws.  So I do wonder what else they ignore...like turning on body cameras, which seems like a recurring issue. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

How's  Ally Charlotte Center doing these days lol...

Anyone work for Ally?  What's their WFH stance?  Just wondering if there's added foot traffic in the area with workers coming back.   The Starbucks should be open or opening soon.

January 18th for all vaccinated individuals is what I have heard. Should be 3-4 days in the office a week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This morning, I listened to yesterday's Charlotte Talks episode about Charlotte's surge in annual traffic fatalities, speeding, and traffic citations and enforcement.  Key takeaway on enforcement is that CMPD is down a bunch of officers, having a tough time recruiting officers to police urban areas, and spending scarce resources and energy on increases in violent crime rather than traffic violations. 
I'd like to propose Charlotte have a Police Appreciation Day.  I understand there are some bad and/or rogue ones out there just like there are in every field, but the lion's share of them take up the daily dirty work of seeing the worst of humanity on display, and they step into these grimy situations in place of people like me who'd like to steer clear of such messy predicaments.  Yes, there may be systemic roots to much of the awful things we see around us, but while sorting out the root causes, someone's gotta deal with the present-day symptoms, and that's the police.  I, for one, am thankful for them and would like to institutionalize Charlotte's show of appreciation for what they do.  

Personally see no reason to do this I doubt it would welcomed by either side very well. It’s honestly unnecessary considering there are already national appreciation days that are just not as mainstream or known. “National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day - Jan. 9th” and even “National First Responders Day - Oct. 28th.” I think a lot of people have the wrong assumption that people want to getting rid of the police department all together or misunderstood what others were trying to express. Disbanding the department is just not equitable nor realistic at all. The police for the most part are a department of the city that is meant to keep stability and enforcement of laws. There were anarchists in those protests specifically the ones last year, but mainly people want systemic changes and improvement of the training program. Other countries have more in depth and longer training times than the US does. Puts officers at in situations where they are not taught the skills to figure out a stressful high risk situation. They need to be able to make a split second decision without losing composure or temper. Force is not always the answer to resolve an issue and especially not deadly force unless there’s clear and imminent danger. There are many more things that could help solve the US’s pitfalls with the way it sees and maneuvers the complexities that department must meet to be useful, equitable, and just to the community it serves.

As for homeless and those on the streets begging for money. I have never encountered someone who was persistent as that recount described, but I’m sure they exist. The shooting that occurred at the square is also alarming and that is problematic and likely due to the the recruitment issues and less personnel thereof.

This thread has gotten off topic enough, I think and this could honestly be discussed in other threads or some other dedicated to security, “panhandlers,” and such.
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

Personally see no reason to do this I doubt it would welcomed by either side very well. It’s honestly unnecessary considering there are already national appreciation days that are just not as mainstream or known. “National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day - Jan. 9th” and even “National First Responders Day - Oct. 28th.” I think a lot of people have the wrong assumption that people want to getting rid of the police department all together or misunderstood what others were trying to express. Disbanding the department is just not equitable nor realistic at all. The police for the most part are a department of the city that is meant to keep stability and enforcement of laws. There were anarchists in those protests specifically the ones last year, but mainly people want systemic changes and improvement of the training program. Other countries have more in depth and longer training times than the US does. Puts officers at in situations where they are not taught the skills to figure out a stressful high risk situation. They need to be able to make a split second decision without losing composure or temper. Force is not always the answer to resolve an issue and especially not deadly force unless there’s clear and imminent danger. There are many more things that could help solve the US’s pitfalls with the way it sees and maneuvers the complexities that department must meet to be useful, equitable, and just to the community it serves.

As for homeless and those on the streets begging for money. I have never encountered someone who was persistent as that recount described, but I’m sure they exist. The shooting that occurred at the square is also alarming and that is problematic and likely due to the the recruitment issues and less personnel thereof.

This thread has gotten off topic enough, I think and this could honestly be discussed in other threads or some other dedicated to security, “panhandlers,” and such.

You post a massive paragraph in disagreement (after preceding posts had already moved on LOL) and then end with "the thread has gotten off topic enough," I suppose in an effort to discourage or squelch a counterpoint.  To recap, this started with an observation of a very recent incident at Ally Center and what it means for pedestrian engagement with newly-completed developments downtown...especially such engagement at night, which most of us would agree is a key attribute of a thriving Uptown.  That then led into a discussion on policing in uptown, its relative absence, and the general resource-constrained state of the police.

Edited by RANYC

You post a massive paragraph in disagreement (after preceding posts had already moved on LOL) and then end with "the thread has gotten off topic enough," I suppose in an effort to discourage or squelch a counterpoint.  To recap, this started with an observation of a very recent incident at Ally Center and what it means for pedestrian engagement with newly-completed developments downtown...especially such engagement at night, which most of us would agree is a key attribute of a thriving Uptown.  That then led into a discussion on policing in uptown, its relative absence, and the general resource-constrained state of the police.

I’m saddened you understood it that way. You or anyone are welcome to counter that in an appropriate thread if there is one, because this is a city wide issue and should get some attention as I wasn’t aware before of the lack of recruitment. Just make sure tag me! ;) I would never pass up an opportunity to read about someone’s opinions or ideas. I am up to discuss but clearly it was getting a bit far off topic of Ally in that statement that you made about solutions to fix the departments deficiencies. I wasn’t disagreeing exactly just saying that it already exists and could be seen in the wrong light. That is all.

3 hours ago, JeanClt said:

I’m saddened you understood it that way. You or anyone are welcome to counter that in an appropriate thread if there is one, because this is a city wide issue and should get some attention as I wasn’t aware before of the lack of recruitment. Just make sure tag me! ;) I would never pass up an opportunity to read about someone’s opinions or ideas. I am up to discuss but clearly it was getting a bit far off topic of Ally in that statement that you made about solutions to fix the departments deficiencies. I wasn’t disagreeing exactly just saying that it already exists and could be seen in the wrong light. That is all.

It's fine, I'm moving on.  Security perception matters though.  Unlike in many other sunbelt cities, we have private developers with the confidence to make massive investments in our urban core, but we need to meet them halfway.  We need a robust (AND VISIBLE) security infrastructure downtown, one that creates the perception of security just as much as it actually does security. 

It shouldn't feel like an urban tightrope walk or flirtation with danger for anyone in our region to spend an evening shucking the car and strolling about a density of venues and streetscape amenities in our metro's urban core.  No one should feel they must be a daredevil to go to Uptown at night.  Have city officials become complacent about Uptown?

We need high-quality police everywhere in our city including Uptown, and need them to feel valued and cherished.  We really can't fully compensate them for all they do and confront, and if special and local recognitions of their importance can be a type of non-cash compensation, then I'm all for it.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

I also think security personnel at most of these buildings are simply there to collect a paycheck. Nearly every major office building in Uptown has 24/7 security who are more concerned about what you’re taking pictures of rather than the suspicious person nagging people in the complex. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was in uptown taking pictures for a client on Saturday, had to talk to three different security officers, and ended up having to check in at the buildings loading dock, just so I could take a few pictures of the tower's courtyard.

In the meantime, the Israelites set up a freaking stage in the courtyard and were shouting about how abortion is murder and everyone is going to hell. Not sure why they can set up whole stage up, but god forbid I want to bring my camera into uptown and take a few pictures.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I was in uptown taking pictures for a client on Saturday, had to talk to three different security officers, and ended up having to check in at the buildings loading dock, just so I could take a few pictures of the tower's courtyard.
In the meantime, the Israelites set up a freaking stage in the courtyard and were shouting about how abortion is murder and everyone is going to hell. Not sure why they can set up whole stage up, but god forbid I want to bring my camera into uptown and take a few pictures.

“The Israelites”??? Really?? Why not just say “protesters”? My 7th grade son reminds me often that I use certain descriptors unnecessarily. He’s not wrong. [emoji1308]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, TheMightyBK said:

“The Israelites”??? Really?? Why not just say “protesters”? My 7th grade son reminds me often that I use certain descriptors unnecessarily. He’s not wrong. emoji1308.png

I mean, why wouldn't we use a racial power groups name? Protesters are one thing, these people are like the KKK and a hate group. 

20 hours ago, a2theb said:

January 18th for all vaccinated individuals is what I have heard. Should be 3-4 days in the office a week.

Ally, Wells, and BOA are all coming back in some form in January. So uptowns about to get a bit more crowded. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, why wouldn't we use a racial power groups name? Protesters are one thing, these people are like the KKK and a hate group. 

To be clear, not all Black Israelite groups are hate groups. The SPLC classifies a lot of them as such, but not every local Israelite group is. The group here may or may not be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMightyBK said:

“The Israelites”??? Really?? Why not just say “protesters”? My 7th grade son reminds me often that I use certain descriptors unnecessarily. He’s not wrong. emoji1308.png

I promise I wasn't trying to stir anything up,

I don't even keep up with the groups in uptown, but they had it all over their folding signs.

• Like 4

On 12/7/2021 at 3:53 PM, RANYC said:

What struck me last night was that during the entire length of my drive through Uptown, I didn't see a single police officer on foot.  Not even a police vehicle on this particular night.

If we want a downtown where growing numbers of people stroll and linger, I do think the city will need to do a bit more than it currently does.  Some downtowns have experimented with ambassador programs, where trained personnel walk the streets in conspicuous dress to provide assistance and direction to visitors, to ensure the surrounding environment is hospitable, and to serve as symbols of security, of surveillance and as deterrents to would-be scofflaws and menaces.

Looks like even if we had more police officers, they aren't ticketing or charging people for violating city ordinances, which includes panhandling, littering, trespassing, et.... right now, so they'd just watch the aggressive panhandling occur.

"In September, Gov. Roy Cooper signed a new law decriminalizing some city ordinances. That prompted a review process for all communities to determine which ordinances will still have criminal penalties. The city of Charlotte hasn’t finished its review process yet, so as of Dec. 1, none are enforceable."

Source: https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/cmpd-no-longer-enforcing-city-ordinances-that-are-being-reviewed/6NNOSA2FMVCNNPWV75J5UJCVAY/

29 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Looks like even if we had more police officers, they aren't ticketing or charging people for violating city ordinances, which includes panhandling, littering, trespassing, et.... right now, so they'd just watch the aggressive panhandling occur.

"In September, Gov. Roy Cooper signed a new law decriminalizing some city ordinances. That prompted a review process for all communities to determine which ordinances will still have criminal penalties. The city of Charlotte hasn’t finished its review process yet, so as of Dec. 1, none are enforceable."

Source: https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/cmpd-no-longer-enforcing-city-ordinances-that-are-being-reviewed/6NNOSA2FMVCNNPWV75J5UJCVAY/

I mean, I'm not a legal scholar, but the list of affected ordinances don't seem to have anything to do with any of what you just listed. 

Legislature Decriminalizes Local Ordinances - Coates' Canons Coates' Canons (unc.edu)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I mean, I'm not a legal scholar, but the list of affected ordinances don't seem to have anything to do with any of what you just listed. 

Legislature Decriminalizes Local Ordinances - Coates' Canons Coates' Canons (unc.edu)

Not sure why the city needs so much time to "analyze" the list.