Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

I wonder if Ally's lease agreement requires there to be that amount of parking and if that would impact redevelopment. Ally provides free monthly parking passes to all 2,000+ employees in Charlotte and the new building allowed them to consolidate being spread over 6 parking decks down to 1.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

I wonder if Ally's lease agreement requires there to be that amount of parking that would impact redevelopment. Ally provides free monthly parking passes to all 2,000+ employees in Charlotte and the new building allowed them to consolidate being spread over 6 parking decks down to 1.

I am assuming, if Ally wants to expand (They do, they are already projected to be over capacity in the new building, and are growing in Charlotte), they will look at the Garage is a development site. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheRealClayton said:

Not what I'm saying at all. That actually is exactly why they didn't put retail in the bottom of the deck, because they do expect it to one day be a goner. is it tomorrow no, is it 5 years from now, probably no but could be, 10, I would not be at all surprised. They wanted to be prepared for a time when we are less reliant on cars for travel, what better way than by building something that could be easily dismantled. By god's lips to your ears.

That's the most creative way I've heard of saying prefab parking decks are the cheapest to build... Easy to dismantle LOL

Edited by JHart
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unless Hill St. Becomes a pedestrian haven there’s no reason for retail at that parking deck and this project already has quite a bit of retail already. Isn’t Legacy having some trouble even filling up their retail spaces? I guess it would be good to have whenever there’s actually depend for retail space but if you think about it Hill St. isn’t that busy and at least the parking deck doesn’t front stonewall. (Not saying it’s a good looking and useful parking deck but I don’t think it needs retail at least not now or in the near future imo. It’s just not necessary).

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

speaking of retail in the Ally Center new announcement today. 

""Brown Bag Seafood Co. expects to open its first Charlotte restaurants in 2022.  The Chicago-based, fast-casual seafood chain has snapped up two locations. It is known for dishing up quick, fresh and sustainably sourced seafood.  Brown Bag will open a 2,542-square-foot establishment at the Lowe’s Global Technology Center in South End. A second, 2,756-square-foot restaurant will be located at the Ally Charlotte Center in uptown. Both locations will have in-store and patio dining, as well as take-out, pickup and delivery service.""

Brown Bag Seafood Co. to add South End, uptown restaurants - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Reviewing their website, the menu looks delicious.  I noticed that 3 of their restaurants are closed indefinitely in the Chicago market (all within the city limits) and all their restaurants which are only in Chicago and 2 in Atlanta are cashless...only credit or debit cards accepted!

• Thanks 2

On 11/30/2021 at 1:14 PM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Oh, that explains why they didn't put any retail at the bottom of their parking deck (developers knew it was a goner) lol jk...

That deck was just built guys...it ain't going anywhere anytime soon.  I just take his comment as South End continues to boom and the buildout along Morehead and Uptown Cab sites develop/mature  etc (plus the addition of a cap over 277)...the land will be so valuable/coveted that there will eventually be a better use for that land than the current parking deck.  Honestly, you could say the same sentiment about any parking deck Uptown (it may be eventually torn down for redevelopment). 

I'd like to think there's Demand for Pedestrian-oriented Retail as long as Place-Making is incorporated and an enticing environment is there to capture walkers.

Retail just a sidewalk away from cars zooming one-way down Church Street, well maybe not so much.

Did see today that Green City Foods in South End on East Park Avenue closed, and quite a few empty spaces along that stretch.  Was bummed about that.

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

The success of the Ally pedestrian experience really highlights how bad Legacy Union did in that department. People are activating Ally anytime the retail spaces are open, and there's never ANYONE hanging around outside of Legacy Union.

I feel like if more people knew about how cool looking Legacy Unions stairs were at night, that would be a huge photo-op. And now with nightswim  coffee there in the lobby, door traffic should go up.

• Like 2

Earlier tonight, guy in a sport jacket and jeans was leaving the Ally Center courtyard - perhaps leaving dinner - with a brisk pace, and was being tracked by a slovenly guy who happened to be wearing a hoodie.  Sport jacket guy was accelerating as hoodie guy followed.  I decided to listen carefully to hear what was happening.  Here's what I hear:

Hoodie:  C'mon man, you ain't got 2 dollars?  It's just 2 dollars.  I know you got that.

Sport Jacket Guy: Sorry, I don't have it.  

Sport Jacket approaches his mercedes on the curbside of South Tryon and you hear the chirp of unlocking doors.

Hoodie:  Oh, look at that, you got a mercedes too!  I know you got 2 dollars...really?

Sport Jacket:  Have a nice day.

Hoodie let out a very audible huff and walked toward a young guy in a collared shirt coming out of the Duke Energy building after a workday that appeared to extend well into the evening.  

10 hours ago, RANYC said:

Earlier tonight, guy in a sport jacket and jeans was leaving the Ally Center courtyard - perhaps leaving dinner - with a brisk pace, and was being tracked by a slovenly guy who happened to be wearing a hoodie.  Sport jacket guy was accelerating as hoodie guy followed.  I decided to listen carefully to hear what was happening.  Here's what I hear:

Hoodie:  C'mon man, you ain't got 2 dollars?  It's just 2 dollars.  I know you got that.

Sport Jacket Guy: Sorry, I don't have it.  

Sport Jacket approaches his mercedes on the curbside of South Tryon and you hear the chirp of unlocking doors.

Hoodie:  Oh, look at that, you got a mercedes too!  I know you got 2 dollars...really?

Sport Jacket:  Have a nice day.

Hoodie let out a very audible huff and walked toward a young guy in a collared shirt coming out of the Duke Energy building after a workday that appeared to extend well into the evening.  

This sounds like the same guy who approached me on Sunday night in front of Golden Cow asking for my food and jacket as I was in the middle of eating. He stands on the corner of Stonewall and Tryon yelling at people. 

15 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

^^^ I'm so confused

That address (546 W 8th) is not close to Spirit Square (or at least relative to many other landmarks), and the picture is of "The Square", not Spirit Square, and def not near the address.

That's where the shooting happened, he was apprehended at spirit square but I think they gave chase at "the square."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1