Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
Ally is pretty vibrant.  It’s amazing what some retail tenants can do for a development.

Quite the opposite from its neighbors. What it lacks in aesthetics crowns it more than makes up for it at the pedestrian scale lol. The crown would have made too good.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

i found it frustrating that developers decided to place a tree there. such an insipid decision.

i live in uptown and walk along tryon/brooklyn nearly everyday. i cannot count how many times i’ve seen people take pics with that weird disco bird in front of the bechler. it’s ugly for sure, but at least it gives people something interesting and unique to take picture with to say “this was in charlotte.” similar to chicago’s bean.

just wish ally would have given tourists another option. there’s plenty of trees along the sidewalks in uptown already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Confused 9

i found it frustrating that developers decided to place a tree there. such an insipid decision.

i live in uptown and walk along tryon/brooklyn nearly everyday. i cannot count how many times i’ve seen people take pics with that weird disco bird in front of the bechler. it’s ugly for sure, but at least it gives people something interesting and unique to take picture with to say “this was in charlotte.” similar to chicago’s bean.

just wish ally would have given tourists another option. there’s plenty of trees along the sidewalks in uptown already.

Being a relatively new Charlotte resident and out of sheer curiosity; what did this weird disco bird look like?

I find that the tree is a living work of art (especially this oak tree) no tree exactly the same and it’s background like no other. Aesthetically it is a very solid decision based on the amount of plants that are sorely lacking in our urban environments. This project is unique and that plaza I think is iconic. Let me know if you find anything similar to it and it’s background ally itself and it’s surroundings.

Had to comment because the decision to add the tree is anything but insipid. It is a great addition and one that ties the plaza together. It’ll continue to improve the plaza as it grows.

a tree, in comparison to an actual work of art, is not insipid? look, i’m not anti tree. i’m pro interesting. pro unique. and i’d beg to differ that a tree surrounded by concrete and an unkept flower bed is “tying the space together.”

no one is taking pics of, or with, that tree. and no casual tourist values it the way you, an urban enthusiast, does. tourists and casual uptown strollers are just looking for something cool to take a pic with.

developers putting something cool and unique there could’ve drawn people there to experience the retail even if they hadn’t planned to.

everyone enlighten me on how the ally tree is anymore beautiful than this one in front of the parking deck. i’m not an arboriculturist, but come on..5599c75520952bd72a57b3186f315c72.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, norm21499 said:

The Firebird statue is definitely not ugly. Might as well call Chicago's Cloudgate bland. As far the as live oak tree, these trees become more and more beautiful as they grow bigger and age. It's not just "another tree".

ugly, not ugly, don't care, your opinion. that's not the point - the firebird is way more interesting and attracting than a tree. a few more feet and branches won't ever change that...

we cry everyday on this app for more street activation and here ya'll are defending an oak tree no cares about but the people on this app.

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, ClassicColtrane said:

a tree, in comparison to an actual work of art, is not insipid? look, i’m not anti tree. i’m pro interesting. pro unique. and i’d beg to differ that a tree surrounded by concrete and an unkept flower bed is “tying the space together.”

no one is taking pics of, or with, that tree. and no casual tourist values it the way you, an urban enthusiast, does. tourists and casual uptown strollers are just looking for something cool to take a pic with.

developers putting something cool and unique there could’ve drawn people there to experience the retail even if they hadn’t planned to.

everyone enlighten me on how the ally tree is anymore beautiful than this one in front of the parking deck. i’m not an arboriculturist, but come on..5599c75520952bd72a57b3186f315c72.jpg

This is the same type of tree that is in front of Ally, but only a few hundred years older.  Its just a different type of art....we need both types around Charlotte IMO.

IMG_5267 (1).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkeveryone enlighten me on how the ally tree is anymore beautiful than this one in front of the parking deck. i’m not an arboriculturist, but come on..5599c75520952bd72a57b3186f315c72.jpg

That is your opinion and I respect that. You wish it were more appealing to you in the form of art. That’s is fine. Someone could just have easily had the opinion on art and flashy as you view the tree. The developer made a choice and what I was referring to was my opinion on the tree. Truly it does not matter what the developer puts there whether this beautiful oak tree or beautiful piece of art. Don’t think it would really change the dynamic any more or any less. That bird doesn’t get as much attention when I walk by it as the many pictures lead you to believe on a daily just as this tree. Also this tree and this plaza is new. I’d wait to judge it in a couple years it has the potential to be an attraction, only time will tell. At the end of the day it was the developers choice and I wouldn’t call it insipid simply because it doesn’t agree with you, but if that’s what think it is. That’s what you will see.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong though, I love art. I wish that spinning head on the fountain in a business park off 485 (ugh.) were somewhere in uptown or southend instead of where it is. It is such a cool piece to be so isolated. “Metalmorphosis”

051d53f7cd1acff1c05d1bbc26c39922.jpg
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

That is your opinion and I respect that. You wish it were more appealing to you in the form of art. That’s is fine. Someone could just have easily had the opinion on art and flashy as you view the tree. The developer made a choice and what I was referring to was my opinion on the tree. Truly it does not matter what the developer puts there whether this beautiful oak tree or beautiful piece of art. Don’t think it would really change the dynamic any more or any less. That bird doesn’t get as much attention when I walk by it as the many pictures lead you to believe on a daily just as this tree. Also this tree and this plaza is new. I’d wait to judge it in a couple years it has the potential to be an attraction, only time will tell. At the end of the day it was the developers choice and I wouldn’t call it insipid simply because it doesn’t agree with you, but if that’s what think it is. That’s what you will see.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong though, I love art. I wish that spinning head on the fountain in a business park off 485 (ugh.) were somewhere in uptown or southend instead of where it is. It is such a cool piece to be so isolated. “Metalmorphosis”

051d53f7cd1acff1c05d1bbc26c39922.jpg

LOVE Metalmorphosis! I used to work out there when I was in grad school and we would have lunch at the tables surrounding it and plenty of people would take pics. again, nothing wrong with trees used as art. the more greenery the better in most cases.

but geeeez, that intersection of brooklyn & tryon has so much gravity and i would've loved to have something a little spunky and experimental that made people say "ok this is cool as hell. this is thing everyone takes a pic with when they come to charlotte."

• Like 2
  • Confused 1