>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

i have to agree with cotuit on this one... even from what i read on the steelyard's site, it sounds like they were a little upset with the outcome of the trash cans since they weren't what were ordered. when a true artist does contract work for someone with certain requests, they should follow through and give the customer what they're looking for.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont care about it being true art or not. This is a basic contract dispute. Both OHC and Lu should have had a final design review. They both failed professionally. Not surprising since neither one of the are real businesses. To cry censorship is idiotic. Its not censorship, its bad business practice. Business lessons are to be learned here, to make it into anything else is simply sensationalism.

Okay, Okay, first of all, this is ridiculous. Olneyville is vibrant, whether or not you or I happen to approve of the lifestyles (for lack of a more descriptive term) of people who live there. Never mind the fact that it has essentially nothing to do with the actual ethical issue at hand here.

Secondly:

I've come to expect much more from a clearly competent, intelligent individual such as this one. To say that anybody's work is "not art", or that it makes them "not a true artist" based on the nebulous, badly-conceived business contract that was supposed to govern their work, is to make an unscrupulously broad inarticulate statement, and it absolutely blows my mind. True, this artist may not have made the smartest business decision under contract, but to see why it was made, just consider the contract itself:

"When Struever heard about the program, the developer donated $25,000 for whatever displays the local organizations saw fit to create, with no conditions."

No conditions, people! Should there have been design review if the sponsors of the project had conditions in mind? Yes. Do the sponsors have the right to impose such conditions in return for payment? Absolutely Yes. But it was made clear that there were none in writing, and unfortunately for the company, there's no way around the fact that their hands have been tied by their own lack of planning. It isn't fair to hold this artist responsible for violating imaginary conditions that, quite frankly, do not legally exist. If the cans are not displayed anywhere, it would fly directly in the face of the artist community in olneyville that this project was supposedly designed to help make peace with, not to mention the huge base of people who respect Providence's unique position as a daringly creative place.

you're missing the point of that "contract" you quote. keywords here: whatever the local organizations saw fit

that means the OHC, who was not happy with the cans. it wasn't struever who had the problem, it was OHC.

also, the "artist" had presented an initial sketch that had relevant facts about olneyville and its history. these were much different (according to the same article you're quoting) than the final product because the wording was not what it was in the sketches. it sounds like this woman purposely tried to scam them, or perhaps after she presented the sketch, she learned struever was behind some of the money and got pissed because they're "evil".

I dont care about it being true art or not. This is a basic contract dispute. Both OHC and Lu should have had a final design review. They both failed professionally. Not surprising since neither one of the are real businesses. To cry censorship is idiotic. Its not censorship, its bad business practice. Business lessons are to be learned here, to make it into anything else is simply sensationalism.

The "artist" has now painted OHC with the brush of censorship, thems some strong words. Now when someone else is considering going to the Steel Yard for some "art" do you think maybe they'll think twice? If I am to believe that an "artist" can do whatever the f*ck she wants with the money I give her (which seems to be the arguement here), do you think I'm going to contract work from "artists" anymore? Looks like the starving "artists" of Olneyville are gonna continue to be hungry. This "artist" has done serious damage to the Steel Yard and the other artists who work there. The word censorship never should have come into the equation, this "artist" was told to do a job, she did not do the job as contracted, now she's crying censorship. No, that is not the mark of a true professional artist.

Sincerely,

The Chancellor :rolleyes:

If you are looking for someone to faithfully interpret some pre-existing design hire an ARTISAN, not an ARTIST. There is a world of difference here.

"When Struever heard about the program, the developer donated $25,000 for whatever displays the local organizations saw fit to create, with no conditions."

No conditions, people! Should there have been design review if the sponsors of the project had conditions in mind? Yes. Do the sponsors have the right to impose such conditions in return for payment? Absolutely Yes. But it was made clear that there were none in writing, and unfortunately for the company, there's no way around the fact that their hands have been tied by their own lack of planning. It isn't fair to hold this artist responsible for violating imaginary conditions that, quite frankly, do not legally exist. If the cans are not displayed anywhere, it would fly directly in the face of the artist community in olneyville that this project was supposedly designed to help make peace with, not to mention the huge base of people who respect Providence's unique position as a daringly creative place.

More power to her! Daring, sparking discussion, raising tempers, inciting argument, demanding thought and attention -- that's what artists *do*! They shake up perspectives.

I'd take this over a million milquetoast urbanist "photoblogs" any day of the week, but chacun a son gout! and thank god for that...

If this on street parking thing goes through.. And I decide to rip up all my horrifically Draconian (which I don't even know what that means but kind of like being called it anyway) paved over property and decide to hire a landscaper to design and plant a lawn and green space..

And I get home from work and "Screw You The Ank" is mowed in the lawn like the decorative sox emblem @ Fenway.. Well.. I'm not paying him.. You can call it art or peoples history all you want.. That landscaper can call the ACLU on me.. I'm not paying.. Its this simple..

The funniest part of the whole thing.. Her calling it "peoples' history".. I bet she just read Zinn's Peeps History and was feeling all saucy and drunk off patchoili martinis and decided to make "FU Struever" barrells to settle the score for The Arawaks once and for all..

you're missing the point of that "contract" you quote. keywords here: whatever the local organizations saw fit

that means the OHC, who was not happy with the cans. it wasn't struever who had the problem, it was OHC.

also, the "artist" had presented an initial sketch that had relevant facts about olneyville and its history. these were much different (according to the same article you're quoting) than the final product because the wording was not what it was in the sketches. it sounds like this woman purposely tried to scam them, or perhaps after she presented the sketch, she learned struever was behind some of the money and got pissed because they're "evil".

I'm tired of hearing about Streuver bros.. They are no more the enemy then Brown, Risd, Patrick Connely or any other of the many developers through out the city. Just because they've tried to show an interest in the community and the arts it doesn't make them bad people. On another Lu Hientz is an artist. She is also a horrible human. Any one can be an artist but it takes a lot of evil to be a disgrace to the human race. If this was such a big deal why didn't she return the money she was paid to "Streuver". Because she is a greedy self-centered person. The money came from a bulk of several different sources anyway. She does not pay taxes here she is not a resident and she comes from an over privileged place. As does Xander and so many others. I agree with whoever said Olneyville already has a culture with or without artists. In the end however these artists have picked a 4 mile radius to advocate for the poor. There is a whole city out there that needs help in certain areas. Why? so they can have cheap housing or maybe street cred. Not many of them have ever really had to work, support a family or pay their own way. While I'm at it Brian Chippendale sucks at life. The stuff that come out of his mouth is like the stuff i scrape off my tongue after a couple cups of coffee, a few cigarettes and a hardy breakfast. After his idiotic rant at the Steel Yard forum i believe he owes a few people an apology and they will get it! Whoever responds to this negatively, if anyone, keep in mind i have waited and observed for some time now and i have my facts and opinions in order.

if by "private" you mean "nearly 1/3 funded by public subsidies", I guess so. ALCO was budgeted at $333M and they financed about $100M of that through various federal, state, and city tax breaks, TIFFs and grants.

If you read up on SBER, you'll see that a major component of their business model is choosing to enter markets that offer considerable public financial incentives. They're only interested in development projects where they can secure a significant portion of their financing from the local government. It's kind of like the Walmart model of expansion -- go wherever you can extort the most public money.

While I am certainly no apologist for developers of any kind, I think it may be important to remember that Streuver Brothers' subsidies are coming in various forms, like historic tax credit which allows them to save a lot of the history of the industry in Providence. So, we really don't get to applaud some developers for saving buildings (and benefitting from the credit, and revile others just because its popular to do so.

In addition, all the city subsidies are vetted at the City Council level and there are at least TWO hearings for each one of these kinds of tax incentives, and so when people have a beef with the city giving away money for developers to come here, how about showing the f*ck up at city hall and saying so, rather than just complain later, again, when it is popular to do so.

And ironic as it may seem, I think that post calling out the Olneyville/Fort Thunder/Dirt Palace artists is highly inappropriate and should be edited.

I gotta say it is weird how charged Olneyville is soooo long after Fort Thunder and all the other stuff went down. Alot of lingering bitterness related to Feldco has been applied to Streuver, and it just seems EVERYONE is skeptical and wary of everything all the time. This has got to be unique to Providence...(maybe Brooklyn? who knows...I know Fort Point in Boston is pretty calm...). Just curious to me.

I gotta say it is weird how charged Olneyville is soooo long after Fort Thunder and all the other stuff went down. Alot of lingering bitterness related to Feldco has been applied to Streuver, and it just seems EVERYONE is skeptical and wary of everything all the time. This has got to be unique to Providence...(maybe Brooklyn? who knows...I know Fort Point in Boston is pretty calm...). Just curious to me.

On another Lu Hientz is an artist. She is also a horrible human. Any one can be an artist but it takes a lot of evil to be a disgrace to the human race............ She does not pay taxes here she is not a resident and she comes from an over privileged place. As does Xander and so many others.... In the end however these artists have picked a 4 mile radius to advocate for the poor...... Why? so they can have cheap housing or maybe street cred. Not many of them have ever really had to work, support a family or pay their own way.

This was just pure poetry.. I almost wept, honestly.. And then runawayjim drops some knowledge with:

"personally, i think it's nice and all that they're thinking of others, but i don't think their intentions are completely in line. i have a feeling a lot of it is self-serving, trying to "fight the man" and "fight capitalism"."

You see.. I'm not an evil person.. I don't kill kittens.. I don't steal and I rarely lie.. I work hard and pay taxes, begrudgingly on the taxes..

And then I read the paper and some trust funder takes a field trip to the ghetto and tell us in OUR NEIGHBORHOOD, where we LIVE how to live and whats good for us.. Wearing out their soapboxes.. That all these formerly burnt out buildings that were haven for crime but now house well to do intents are EVIL.. Well.. Its tired..

Honestly, the only reason these losers get ink is because they try to get ink.. Thats her whole reason for this, right?? Its distortion, its noise.. Rising Sun secret video, LuLu Heizes trash, all noise.. Its sad because the REAL residents here LOVE the transformation.. You won't find a single RESIDENT who doesn't.. Rents are still cheap.. But just expensive (I hope) so the trash can't afford to live here..

Thanks MIJ.. I wouldn't say old school.. To me old school in PVD is Buddy Cianci and the old guard.. Awful.. I voted for Cicilline.. I agree with changes the city is making, most of them make me downright giddy.. The city has come a long way, and I love it.. Buddy being back here makes me nervous..

But to me, these people, the Lu Heintz's impose their will, swill, and misguided opinios on other people.. I am 100% against that.. I do my thing, you do yours.. As long as what I do doesn't neg effect your life, all is good, end of story..

I don't design any trash cans.. I don't hold press conferences saying that The Steelyard is an eyesore to me, that it looks like a auto junk yard on acid when I drive by every day.. Its not my business or place to say..

I'm not against the message on the can, per se.. I'm against the message on the can that was paid for.. If the Steelyard wants to paint a Anti-Gentrification mural on their newly refaced bricks, then go for it I say.. Thats their right..

I think for the most part, regular everyday people are impressionable.. They enjoy being lied to, its a sense of comfort.. Its sad.. But true.. So when The Steelyard spews these lies of gentrification and rising rents and displacement.. People will believe them.. Because the opposition, the people who love the change.. Are at work, and too busy working to pay the taxes that pay for the subsidies given to developers to make our life better in The O...

Thanks MIJ.. I wouldn't say old school.. To me old school in PVD is Buddy Cianci and the old guard.. Awful.. I voted for Cicilline.. I agree with changes the city is making, most of them make me downright giddy.. The city has come a long way, and I love it.. Buddy being back here makes me nervous..

But to me, these people, the Lu Heintz's impose their will, swill, and misguided opinios on other people.. I am 100% against that.. I do my thing, you do yours.. As long as what I do doesn't neg effect your life, all is good, end of story..

I don't design any trash cans.. I don't hold press conferences saying that The Steelyard is an eyesore to me, that it looks like a auto junk yard on acid when I drive by every day.. Its not my business or place to say..

I'm not against the message on the can, per se.. I'm against the message on the can that was paid for.. If the Steelyard wants to paint a Anti-Gentrification mural on their newly refaced bricks, then go for it I say.. Thats their right..

I think for the most part, regular everyday people are impressionable.. They enjoy being lied to, its a sense of comfort.. Its sad.. But true.. So when The Steelyard spews these lies of gentrification and rising rents and displacement.. People will believe them.. Because the opposition, the people who love the change.. Are at work, and too busy working to pay the taxes that pay for the subsidies given to developers to make our life better in The O...

Archived