Cotuit

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

apparently the old east side mario's on the corner of pleasant valley pkwy and promenade st is being renovated into an IHOP. while i would have preferred to see the building knocked down and something built on the corner of the lot at the sidewalk to help with the transformation of the area into a more walkable area (with ALCO, etc), i do welcome IHOP. hopefully they'll stay open late. i miss having denny's and the like nearby open 24/7.

i had noticed for about a week or so that people have been working on the site and the other day they put up a sign saying IHOP is now hiring (though it doesn't say "coming soon").

Wow, that place was vacant since my sophomore year, all this time and an IHOP is the result. I say take out that building and BK to allow space for a more urban development, something that ties into the "green way" and provides the nearby residents with a sense of place. The location is tough, but there has to be something better than suburbia in the city. There certainly is a high traffic count to make the location desirable, better design needs to be pushed for.

Wow, that place was vacant since my sophomore year, all this time and an IHOP is the result. I say take out that building and BK to allow space for a more urban development, something that ties into the "green way" and provides the nearby residents with a sense of place. The location is tough, but there has to be something better than suburbia in the city. There certainly is a high traffic count to make the location desirable, better design needs to be pushed for.

Does anyone know about the small developement project on Wollcott St. in the Valley? Its just up the hill from ALCO. It looks like they are converting a small industrial building ( I would not call it a mill) in to lofts. Its high enough up on the hill that it probably has nice views of downtown.

Was wondering who was developing it, how many units, prices.....

I am not sure I believe that for one minute. The Artists in Olneyville, and who work with the SteelYard are incredibly talented, brilliant and savvy. The money for those cans came from a number of sources, one of which was the city. What makes anyone think that the city, Olneyville Housing, or any of the other groups that worked to get the Steel Yard that contract would sign off on that language? Methinks there is is far more to this story than what the Journal chose to report and I officially call BullSh*t.

Do not get me wrong--I think the cans sound pretty cool, but you know, if you contract someone to paint your house blue, and she paints your house pink, are you censoring her? Are you obligated to pay her? If you pay a mechanic to do an oil change on your car and instead he installs a new transmission...

When you accept money for a product you live by the terms of the agreement, regardless of whether you're an artist, a house painter or a mechanic. I do not think you get to cry foul just because you're an artiste.

The SteelYard has up to now lead a seamingly charmed life of a young non profit, received incredible $upport from the city and the community at large, and I hope this doesn't damage the trust or their ability to do cool things for both.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was going to call the Art Police for a video replay, but now I don't have to!

seriously, though, what you are saying is insane. What qualifies you or anyone to make a claim like this? neighborhood politics and all other issues aside, this kind of thinking turns my stomach.

Archived