>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

The Broad St Y will be closing so that the new one on Adelaide Avenue can open. Not that it is much closer than the Cranston one (which is pretty nice) The pool at the East Side Y always made me sick, but the westin fitness center is quite nice, but the pool is about the size of an egg crate. If i still worked downtown I would have kept my Westin membership.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a 3 month membership at Brown U once a few years ago. I think it worked out to about $50/month which is a little pricey, but you have use of everything - pool, squash, weights, track, gym, etc (but that's not what you're looking for). You could check out Planet Fitness, there's one in Seekonk I think, and one on 117 in Warwick, which is about 10-15 min from Oak St.

You can join by the month and it's really cheap - $10 or so. Clean, and pretty basic, and none of the meat heads at places like Golds, Bally's etc (no offense to anyone who goes to these gyms, I went to Bally's for a few years up until the spring and it's just the way it is).

My wife belongs to Davol Square, which is probably the gym I would join if I were independently wealthy. I also heard about a gym in the complex where the Wild Colonial is on S. Water street - not sure what it's like, but it looks nice.

Noticed the Daily Bread building on Broadway now has paper in the windows...anybody in the know?

Also hear there is a gluten free bakery opening on Broadway...wondering if the two are connected. Seems unlikely that a specialized bakery would go into that much space though...

Sign in the window at Talk of The Town (Sierra Suites victim) says they are moving to 529 Atwells Avenue which seems to be the building that sits in the triangle between Harris and Atwells. I soooooo want to see that building put to good use, I hope they are able to spruce it up a bit. I may have to be their best customer if they move there just so I can ensure that something finally sticks in that building. Could also be a good new home of the Decatur refugees.

Sign in the window at Talk of The Town (Sierra Suites victim) says they are moving to 529 Atwells Avenue which seems to be the building that sits in the triangle between Harris and Atwells. I soooooo want to see that building put to good use, I hope they are able to spruce it up a bit. I may have to be their best customer if they move there just so I can ensure that something finally sticks in that building. Could also be a good new home of the Decatur refugees.

I always wanted to buy that corner mansard.. But the owner seems to think 400k-ish is the right price.. I love that house.. Its like RI's version of the Flat Iron Building.. :thumbsup: No parking though.. Tough spot for that.. I guess you could park on Harris.. It could be such a good bridge from Fed Hill Atwells to Eagle Square..

Also, from Projo:

http://www.projo.com/ri/providence/content...12.35a26c8.html

I love the quote about Allepo St.. Hilarious..

Personally, that don't cross / baby with glock nine line used to be Atwells, not Manton.. But I will even walk the dog below Atwells now.. Manton, not yet, no offense to the great things happening down there..

was she carrying a water bottle? :rofl:

I am not poo-pooing O'ville.. I love it.. I'm just saying that Manton Ave has a long way to go.. The rest of the O is, for the most part, not even remotely bad..

I like what O'ville Housing does, I plan on volunteering.. Maybe they will let me volunteer to drive out the Olneyville Neighborhood Association... There's no room for that terrorist organization in our neighborhood... They need to go sell crazy somewhere else..

Because any non-dealer or non-prostitute loves the improvements. And since most of the low income residents they act like they want to protect are on some type of assistance (judging by many rental applications), maybe they should focus their energy not on disrupting the improvements to the quality of life here but on the quality of social services..

• 2 weeks later...
Noticed the Daily Bread building on Broadway now has paper in the windows...anybody in the know?

Also hear there is a gluten free bakery opening on Broadway...wondering if the two are connected. Seems unlikely that a specialized bakery would go into that much space though...

Two small round signs appeared in the display windows in the last 2 weeks with an illustration of a Bettie Page lookalike and the letters SMJ. The signs facing Ringold Street show stylized illustrations of cupcakes with the SMJ initials. Given the spaces previous incarnation as a bakery, I'm thinking you're right.

Outside of the paper in the windows and the recent addition of the signs, there hasn't been much other activity from what I can tell.

Archived