>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

Noticed in the Board of Licenses meeting tmw that there is a license transfer request to transfer the alcohol license from the Green Bar to the "Westminster Public House". New ownership group, but could be the same owners. Still, maybe they will fix it up...

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Providence Tomorrow Charettes coming to Olneyville, Smith Hill and Valley Neighborhoods.

When: Monday, Dec 3 to Thursday, Dec 6

Where: Eagle Square Shopping Center, 579 Atwells Ave (between Flexible Physical Therapy and T Nails)

The workshop studio will be open from 9 to 9 each day. And a series of workshops has been sheduled to discuss specific subjects.

For more information:

Contact Melanie Jewett @ 401-351-4300 ext. 522

www.providencetomorrow.org

Or if you want to e-mail me I will send you PDFs of all the Charette materials.

[email protected]

whatever the case, it seems to me that eagle square has proven itself to be the big wet dud that so many of us predicted when we were fighting the feldco design of this development back in the day down at city hall. all the other mill complex projects since have been renovating existing buildings, keeping the fabric intact as the cost has been proven to be worth it.. but this one is gross. and even most of the stores seem to be backing out. i just went thru there and it appears the laundromat has also closed up shop.. bad urban design..bad bad.

I think the reason it is not performing up to par is because FELDCO placated preservationists.. The layout is jumbled due to keeping some existing buildings.. Just my opinion.. They should have either went full out new or full out old.. The mix is hodge podge..

The former Daily Bread will become Sweet Miss Jill's, a gluten-free eatery serving coffee, pastries, pizza, desserts and wine. According to the bldg. permit, the work is all interior; no exterior work will be done (which is too bad because the facade is looking a bit tired). Should be a nice addition to the street.

i suppose we like to be contrarian with every topic. but the reason is not because they placated preservationists, but because they didn't listen enough to preservationists. the value of the development now would be much higher if it was a rehabbed mill complex with character, not just another suburban style strip mall piece of schlock. i do agree with the hodge-podge factor. you've got a couple authentic rehabbed mill bldgs sitting next to crappy looking recreations of something like a mill building....all plopped in the middle of a weird maze of a surface strip mall type parking lot. its just weird. not to mention the bad design. eg. that dumpy new bldg they put up with the dunkin donuts,etc. the side facing atwells is basically a brick wall with fake small windows. not very interesting or inviting..

I assure you that the vast majority of the general public and nearby residents can't tell the new from the old.. So whether or not they patron a store has little to do with the age of the bricks..

Its about functionality and appeal.. If you asked 20 non-UP people which was old and which was new 18 would say they had no idea.. So as much as UP'ers would hate it, it would have been far more functional as a suburb strip mall or the like..

Besides Providence is so hodge podge anyway.. There was no rhyme or reason to how stuff was built.. The city was asleep at the wheel for centuries apparently.. Its the one thing I hate about this city.. The buildings are built like someone threw them up after a night of drinking.. No uniformity, no plan.. That and the fact that there are no brick rowhouses.. What gives with that???

Besides Providence is so hodge podge anyway.. There was no rhyme or reason to how stuff was built.. The city was asleep at the wheel for centuries apparently.. Its the one thing I hate about this city.. The buildings are built like someone threw them up after a night of drinking.. No uniformity, no plan.. That and the fact that there are no brick rowhouses.. What gives with that???

Very angry, pseudo.. And let me just preempt the libertarian haters out there.. Yes I think building code is important even though it is anti-personal freedom.. Because if I toss up a barn next to your pretty brick rowhouse, my crappy building affect your beautiful one..

Seriously though.. Doesn't Providence's age mean it should have more brick?? what happened?

There are a few like Atheneum Row on Benefit. But it's true unlike in Boston's South End, detached wood-frame housing is standard in Providence, I guess because it never had the same density as parts of Boston or NYC.

You see brick mostly in mansions on the East Side and in commercial blocks and mill buildings.

I assure you that the vast majority of the general public and nearby residents can't tell the new from the old.. So whether or not they patron a store has little to do with the age of the bricks..

Its about functionality and appeal.. If you asked 20 non-UP people which was old and which was new 18 would say they had no idea.. So as much as UP'ers would hate it, it would have been far more functional as a suburb strip mall or the like..

I'm not anti New England, I grew up here.. I live here.. It was just something I noticed.. Its hard to not notice the lack of brick.. And Boston's South End isn't the only brick area.. all of Boston Proper is, for the most part, brick..

South End was not the only filled, planned area, Back Bay was as well.. And that stock was built roughly the same time as the vast majority of stock in PVD, 1880-1920ish.. Basically, the mid circle of Providence, SMith Hill, Valley, O'ville, South Prov, West End, fed hill, etc..

Only, Boston is exclusively brick.. It has to be $$ right? Brahmins up there vs slave driver factory owners down here building stock for their workers.. Only theory I can come up with..

I'm not anti New England, I grew up here.. I live here.. It was just something I noticed.. Its hard to not notice the lack of brick.. And Boston's South End isn't the only brick area.. all of Boston Proper is, for the most part, brick..

South End was not the only filled, planned area, Back Bay was as well.. And that stock was built roughly the same time as the vast majority of stock in PVD, 1880-1920ish.. Basically, the mid circle of Providence, SMith Hill, Valley, O'ville, South Prov, West End, fed hill, etc..

Only, Boston is exclusively brick.. It has to be $$ right? Brahmins up there vs slave driver factory owners down here building stock for their workers.. Only theory I can come up with..

Archived