Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

On 12/26/2023 at 3:55 PM, westsider28 said:

Here's a link to the DRB agenda packet for the Jan. 2 meeting.  The townhome development is 10 units (impressive density!), 3-stories each (+ rooftop decks, it appears), and intended to be for-sale.  Combo of brick and siding (all-brick first floor + extra, mainly siding upper floors).  The interior driveway is planned to be made of permeable pavers, which is nice.  Some screenshots are below.  Overall, it looks like a really solid project to me.

With the exception of recommending that a large oak tree is preserved, that entrances to interior units are improved and that the streetscape is shown in more detail, the City consultant recommends approval.

1799549473_OATangle4.thumb.jpg.af8f3a7080db2ff77cfc98f392a622cf.jpg

1353365298_OATstreet-StJohn.thumb.jpg.1de2e0b8916e948296baf66d19c28a6a.jpg

194042287_OATstreet-Oakland.thumb.jpg.ac1d8e5df3f9c4ac0d1149fa7b47b5bf.jpg

1650830526_OATsiteplan2.thumb.jpg.d89959f5bd4db7234e6f165ea5f03312.jpg

1209909015_OATangle1.jpg.3fb1b2c644fd4839255b0ecfe3f37191.jpg

This townhome project is on the March 5 DRB agenda requesting full and final approval.  Good to see it moving along quickly.

Also, 251 East Main (art studio) is on the agenda requesting preliminary approval.

On 2/12/2024 at 1:48 PM, westsider28 said:

Looks like a Berkshire Hathaway realtor office has gone into 124 Magnolia Street (former selfie studio above Nacho Taco).  Not a huge foot-traffic driver, but a good quality tenant.

For those more in the know than me... is this a relcation or a new office? Seems like Berkshire Hathaway taking an interest in Sparkle City would be newsworthy...

Updated Oakland Ave. Townhomes plans in the March 5 DRB packet.  Rooftop decks changed a bit, and we've got a detailed site/landscape plan that improves the sidewalk there.  Again, I really like this project and hope it's approved.

OATaerialrender1.jpg.thumb.png.69f0636ac77589edf06b99dba1a6859e.png

OATOaklandelev.jpg.thumb.png.6eaba51be3d84c65e4bb4bf4a51927a0.png

OATunitelev.jpg.thumb.png.bbdf0c7d13b1d69b135c19d4b1067998.png

OATsite-landscapeplan.jpg.thumb.png.d195a618179651f53ff9e785a9bda9b8.png

Also noticed a (large) new house on the final lot on Woodward Street nearby.  Great single-family density here.

PXL_20240303_224910681.thumb.jpg.620a807856b097a6e7691310964ed43a.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 3:15 PM, westsider28 said:

Updated Oakland Ave. Townhomes plans in the March 5 DRB packet.  Rooftop decks changed a bit, and we've got a detailed site/landscape plan that improves the sidewalk there.  Again, I really like this project and hope it's approved.

OATaerialrender1.jpg.thumb.png.69f0636ac77589edf06b99dba1a6859e.png

OATOaklandelev.jpg.thumb.png.6eaba51be3d84c65e4bb4bf4a51927a0.png

OATunitelev.jpg.thumb.png.bbdf0c7d13b1d69b135c19d4b1067998.png

OATsite-landscapeplan.jpg.thumb.png.d195a618179651f53ff9e785a9bda9b8.png

Well, I'm surprised and disappointed to learn that this project was not approved at Tuesday's DRB meeting.  "The board commented that the design was flat and boxy and that the facade details were too visually busy. They encouraged the developers to come back with a simpler design, provide more detailed elevation drawings, and include additional details on the landscaping."  I'm with the developer who said, "I feel like some of those comments should have been made on the preliminary [submittal]."  But the developer is still optimistic about getting approval and starting construction in May or June.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

City Council agenda for March 25 is out, and there are several interesting executive session items:  “Project New Vision” a Potential Mixed-Income Residential Development near the Downtown Area, and "Project Wrap" a Potential Mixed-use Development in the Downtown Area (this one has been an executive session item in the past).

Edited by westsider28
formatting
  • Like 1

Are we EVER going to hear about these projects or is it just going to be executive session after executive session? Ridiculous. Come on Spartanburg. Get your head out of your ass already. 

Edited by gman430

57 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Are we EVER going to hear about these projects or is it just going to be executive session after executive session? Ridiculous. Come on Spartanburg. Get your head out of your ass already. 

Executive session projects are often in the feasibility stage, and some of them don't turn out to be feasible and are never heard from again.  That's normal.  Even the projects that make it usually go to executive session initially over a year in advance of public announcement.  This kind of secrecy early in the process is pretty standard operating procedure.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hub-city said:

There is a Post and Courier  article on why the two Main Street developments have been idle.  I can't read the article so if anyone can post some Cliff notes I'd be grateful.

Sure thing.

-According to the developer, one of the hold ups with the 109 and 111 East Main Street project is due to Duke Energy and where to locate the transformer to power the project. Duke Energy on the other hand is blaming the developer and is stating that they need to allocate space for the new transformer which they haven’t done yet. Inflation and interest rates along with slight design changes which don’t need DRB approval due to none of the changes being external are also playing a factor with the delay. The developer states no financing has been secured yet and construction costs of the project have gone up significantly. Ouch. 

-According to city officials, one of the hold ups with the 127 to 163 East Main Street project is with design changes which will be revealed to the public either this Spring or Summer. I guess that’s why the developer never went back for final DRB approval. High interest rates and construction costs are also delaying it according to these same officials. No word on any potential groundbreaking. The developer also refused to comment to the Post & Courier on the status of the development even after numerous attempts by the newspaper. Ouch.

Personally I don’t see either of these projects ever getting built. We’re in a different time now and only developers with strong financial backing and government funding will see their projects get built like you see with the baseball stadium. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1

Yeah interest rates, construction costs, and the general state of the housing market +  waiting to see what happens with the office market crash everyone is talking about. It wouldn't surprise me if this ones sits dormant for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Word on the street is that the reason that the east side Bank of America expanded is to accommodate workers/functions from the Bank of America near the downtown which will be closing, as their lease was not renewed for the sake of construction. This is per an employee, so nothing official, but curious as to what the best and highest use of that lot would be if this is indeed true. 

• Confused 1

On 4/19/2024 at 2:34 PM, NotNotSanti said:

Word on the street is that the reason that the east side Bank of America expanded is to accommodate workers/functions from the Bank of America near the downtown which will be closing, as their lease was not renewed for the sake of construction. This is per an employee, so nothing official, but curious as to what the best and highest use of that lot would be if this is indeed true. 

I actually wondered about that.  The downtown BoA land is owned by Johnson Development.  I remember they did some soil drilling a year or two ago.

Edit: Just found the real-estate listing.  Looks like they're keeping the building and trying to lease the space.  11k-19k SF, office or retail, available Nov.  I'd love to see a restaurant here, for now (and a full redevelopment of the site in the future).

Edited by westsider28
added info
  • Confused 1

On 3/8/2024 at 3:23 PM, westsider28 said:

Well, I'm surprised and disappointed to learn that this project was not approved at Tuesday's DRB meeting.  "The board commented that the design was flat and boxy and that the facade details were too visually busy. They encouraged the developers to come back with a simpler design, provide more detailed elevation drawings, and include additional details on the landscaping."  I'm with the developer who said, "I feel like some of those comments should have been made on the preliminary [submittal]."  But the developer is still optimistic about getting approval and starting construction in May or June.

The Oakland Ave townhomes are trying again for final approval at the May 7 DRB meeting.

• Confused 1

On 4/19/2024 at 2:34 PM, NotNotSanti said:

On 4/20/2024 at 3:12 PM, westsider28 said:

I actually wondered about that.  The downtown BoA land is owned by Johnson Development.  I remember they did some soil drilling a year or two ago.

Edit: Just found the real-estate listing.  Looks like they're keeping the building and trying to lease the space.  11k-19k SF, office or retail, available Nov.  I'd love to see a restaurant here, for now (and a full redevelopment of the site in the future).

I spoke to the branch manager at East side BofA and here's the scoop. 

The DT branch is being shut down because the owner of the property has "other plans" for it. Hope to see large-scale development. It's a HUGE lot. 

The DT Merrill Lynch office (owned by BofA)  is being relocated to the E. BofA property and hence the building expansion to make room for Merrill. 

• Confused 1

Post & Courier confirms that the Herald-Journal building will be demolished "in the near future," though demolition permits have not yet been issued by the City.

I'm not looking forward to having a completely empty block in the heart of downtown in the near future, so hopefully redevelopment moves quickly here.

• Confused 1

On 4/24/2024 at 1:11 PM, westsider28 said:

Post & Courier confirms that the Herald-Journal building will be demolished "in the near future," though demolition permits have not yet been issued by the City.

I'm not looking forward to having a completely empty block in the heart of downtown in the near future, so hopefully redevelopment moves quickly here.

My sense is that this is part of the Superblock - some of the developments that are part of the baseball stadium, office buildings, hotels, apartments are actually happening on this block.  JDA already owns the HJ building, and has an option on the rest of the block, so really the HJ block is going to get redeveloped as part o the larger office-apartment-hotel development.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Historyguy said:

My sense is that this is part of the Superblock - some of the developments that are part of the baseball stadium, office buildings, hotels, apartments are actually happening on this block.  JDA already owns the HJ building, and has an option on the rest of the block, so really the HJ block is going to get redeveloped as part o the larger office-apartment-hotel development.  

Yeah, I know.  I just hope the timeline is such that the block doesn't sit empty for years while they build closer to the stadium or something.