Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

If this happens along with the Coca-Cola redevelopment + the beautification of the corridor, I think it will be a shift in the right direction. I was hoping that the motel on west main street would have been redeveloped also, yet it appears that cosmetics changes was the extent of the work done. There's also the DAN trail that will be cutting across that area. Anyone know whatever became of the apartments that were going to be built at Cohen's?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

NAI Earle Furman announced today that Gibbs International has leased 18,500 SF on the fifth floor of the former QS/1 building for their new headquarters office, effective January 2024.  They're relocating from 9855 Warren H. Abernathy Hwy.  They sold that land last year for $35M.  Not sure if they're still using it for their actual day-to-day operations, but it's great to see them move their office downtown!

• 2 weeks later...

At Monday's meeting, City Council will have executive session on two "Matters Relating to Economic Development":  "Project TFV" a Potential Mixed-use Development in the Downtown Area, and "Project Railyard" a Potential Mixed-use Development in the Downtown Area.

The October 9 meeting had an executive session about “Project Red” a Potential Mixed-use Development, and “Project Nativity” a Potential Community Development.

Any guesses on what these projects might be?  My guess on "Project Railyard" is either that parcel on St John Street north of Wakefield (that's been under-contract for months), or the land between Wofford and Pine Street behind Vic Bailey.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Plywood is off the front of 134 Magnolia (where Cara Bella Boutique will be one tenant).  Windows are open on the Spring Street side, so they're still doing significant interior work.  I believe January is the projected opening for Cara Bella.  Cool ghost sign on the inside wall. 

PXL_20231125_205832471.thumb.jpg.d0d712b1ef656b93304cdef87b9f4a0a.jpg

PXL_20231125_201830608.thumb.jpg.4e24639fae0f73ce5e2d28e3296d8d6f.jpg

Also, 124 Magnolia (above Nacho Taco) is leased, but I don't know to whom.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, djh1963 said:

Does anyone know what happened to the workforce housing apts that were to be build adjacent to the Kennedy Street garage? 

It relies on tax credits from State and/or Federal sources, which are competitive (only certain projects get them each year) and take a long time to secure (paperwork, etc).  But I have no idea if they're still working through that process or not. 

I suspect that affordable housing projects may have a tough time getting built in the current financial environment, at least without more direct public contributions toward their construction.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 5:15 PM, westsider28 said:

Plywood is off the front of 134 Magnolia (where Cara Bella Boutique will be one tenant).  Windows are open on the Spring Street side, so they're still doing significant interior work.  I believe January is the projected opening for Cara Bella.  Cool ghost sign on the inside wall. 

PXL_20231125_205832471.thumb.jpg.d0d712b1ef656b93304cdef87b9f4a0a.jpg

PXL_20231125_201830608.thumb.jpg.4e24639fae0f73ce5e2d28e3296d8d6f.jpg

Also, 124 Magnolia (above Nacho Taco) is leased, but I don't know to whom.

Saw today that 128 Magnolia (2-story building next to the Children's Museum) is now a co-working space.  It's been vacant for years, so it's good to see something finally go in there (even if it's not as good as retail/restaurant).

• 3 weeks later...

Townhomes are planned for 214 and 218 Oakland Avenue (NW corner with St. John).  The project will go before the DRB for preliminary approval at their Jan. 2 meeting.  Looks like 214 Oakland is zoned DT-5, while 218 Oakland is DT-4.  Not sure how that may affect the design.  Ideally, I would've liked a small mixed-use building here, but townhomes are still solid infill.  And building on a parking lot is always good!  Will be interested to see how many are planned and what they'll look like.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Townhomes are planned for 214 and 218 Oakland Avenue (NW corner with St. John).  The project will go before the DRB for preliminary approval at their Jan. 2 meeting.  Looks like 214 Oakland is zoned DT-5, while 218 Oakland is DT-4.  Not sure how that may affect the design.  Ideally, I would've liked a small mixed-use building here, but townhomes are still solid infill.  And building on a parking lot is always good!  Will be interested to see how many are planned and what they'll look like.

Glad to see more residential infill. I think that area has a lot of potential given that it’s an in town neighborhood with some character still intact.  I love the little green building on the corner of Oakland and St. John. I think it would be such a cool spot for a small restaurant or beer/wine shop.. or anything really!  

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 12:23 PM, westsider28 said:

Here's a link to the DRB agenda packet for the Jan. 2 meeting.  The townhome development is 10 units (impressive density!), 3-stories each (+ rooftop decks, it appears), and intended to be for-sale.  Combo of brick and siding (all-brick first floor + extra, mainly siding upper floors).  The interior driveway is planned to be made of permeable pavers, which is nice.  Some screenshots are below.  Overall, it looks like a really solid project to me.

With the exception of recommending that a large oak tree is preserved, that entrances to interior units are improved and that the streetscape is shown in more detail, the City consultant recommends approval.

1799549473_OATangle4.thumb.jpg.af8f3a7080db2ff77cfc98f392a622cf.jpg

1353365298_OATstreet-StJohn.thumb.jpg.1de2e0b8916e948296baf66d19c28a6a.jpg

194042287_OATstreet-Oakland.thumb.jpg.ac1d8e5df3f9c4ac0d1149fa7b47b5bf.jpg

1650830526_OATsiteplan2.thumb.jpg.d89959f5bd4db7234e6f165ea5f03312.jpg

1209909015_OATangle1.jpg.3fb1b2c644fd4839255b0ecfe3f37191.jpg

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2023 at 3:55 PM, westsider28 said:

Here's a link to the DRB agenda packet for the Jan. 2 meeting.  The townhome development is 10 units (impressive density!), 3-stories each (+ rooftop decks, it appears), and intended to be for-sale.  Combo of brick and siding (all-brick first floor + extra, mainly siding upper floors).  The interior driveway is planned to be made of permeable pavers, which is nice.  Some screenshots are below.  Overall, it looks like a really solid project to me.

With the exception of recommending that a large oak tree is preserved, that entrances to interior units are improved and that the streetscape is shown in more detail, the City consultant recommends approval.

1799549473_OATangle4.thumb.jpg.af8f3a7080db2ff77cfc98f392a622cf.jpg

1353365298_OATstreet-StJohn.thumb.jpg.1de2e0b8916e948296baf66d19c28a6a.jpg

194042287_OATstreet-Oakland.thumb.jpg.ac1d8e5df3f9c4ac0d1149fa7b47b5bf.jpg

1650830526_OATsiteplan2.thumb.jpg.d89959f5bd4db7234e6f165ea5f03312.jpg

1209909015_OATangle1.jpg.3fb1b2c644fd4839255b0ecfe3f37191.jpg

Here's a GoUpstate article with more info.  The project received preliminary approval from the DRB Tuesday evening. The board approved the form, massing and placement designs, conditional upon a final design with front entries for all units and a completed streetscaping plan.  They could start construction as early as May.  The townhomes will be semi-customs, so buyers will be able to make some alterations.  They're expected to be priced in the $500,000s.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Light DRB agenda for the February 6 meeting (at County Council chambers).  Just a prelim for a new residence at 186 Harris Place, and final for the ground floor apartment at 249 E. Main (which the board approved against the recommendation of staff...)

I'm surprised the baseball stadium hasn't come back for final approval yet.  It seemed like there was a lot of urgency at the prelim approval meeting.  Maybe they determined they could go ahead with substantial construction without final approval? (since the items they need for final are relatively minor: cladding details and streetscaping plan)

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Light DRB agenda for the February 6 meeting (at County Council chambers).  Just a prelim for a new residence at 186 Harris Place, and final for the ground floor apartment at 249 E. Main (which the board approved against the recommendation of staff...)

I'm surprised the baseball stadium hasn't come back for final approval yet.  It seemed like there was a lot of urgency at the prelim approval meeting.  Maybe they determined they could go ahead with substantial construction without final approval? (since the items they need for final are relatively minor: cladding details and streetscaping plan)

Ugh. Hate that 249 will be residential. On a brighter note,  the property next door at 251 E Main will be restored and used as an art studio for a local artist. 

On 1/23/2024 at 10:56 AM, MidtownSpartanburg said:

Ugh. Hate that 249 will be residential. On a brighter note,  the property next door at 251 E Main will be restored and used as an art studio for a local artist. 

249 and that whole block in general is severely cramped by the fact that the parking in the back area was sold off to SCC some years back. Many potential buyers that I know of and that I showed the property to walked away because of the inability to have sufficient parking for business purposes. Wonder if Broad Street could not be closed off to create more parking. Not sure we really need it...? 

3 hours ago, NotNotSanti said:

249 and that whole block in general is severely cramped by the fact that the parking in the back area was sold off to SCC some years back. Many potential buyers that I know of and that I showed the property to walked away because of the inability to have sufficient parking for business purposes. Wonder if Broad Street could not be closed off to create more parking. Not sure we really need it...? 

The best thing to help that area would be an East Main road diet that created more on-street parking and added protected bike lanes.  Also, they could easily have a night-focused business (like a bar) and negotiate off-hours parking-share agreements with SCC (and/or BoA and First Baptist).  Long-term, I'd like to see both BoA (site owned by Johnson Dev, I'm pretty sure) and the First Baptist parking lot redeveloped with mixed-use, including parking decks.

But also, we need to work to continue to change the mindset of both business owners and customers to not expect front-door parking and be more willing to accept walking.  It's downtown!  I bet they go to Greenville and are willing to walk...

• Like 1

Fair, lol.  Does First Baptist ever tow?  I feel like you could rely on that parking "unofficially" anyway.

But IMO, road-diet is most important.  I believe that section is owned by SCDOT.  The City really needs to take control.  Also, it's on the list to be repaved with the new penny tax.  I'd love to see at least a restriping at that time, if we can't get a more significant streetscaping with new curbs, etc.

• Like 2

Anyone know what's going on at the Herald-Journal building?  There have been two large dumpsters in the parking lot.  Is the paper moving out?  I know this block will eventually be redeveloped (as part of the stadium agreement).  I believe I heard the Greenville News is moving out of their building, and both papers are on death's doorstep...

10 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Anyone know what's going on at the Herald-Journal building?  There have been two large dumpsters in the parking lot.  Is the paper moving out?  I know this block will eventually be redeveloped (as part of the stadium agreement).  I believe I heard the Greenville News is moving out of their building, and both papers are on death's doorstep...

At one point, the building owner's plan was to move the paper into the Wells Fargo building when they were ready to demo the HJ building. I know the hotel they're planning for that block isn't scheduled (according to the dev agreement) to get started for a couple of years, but it could be that the Johnson Group is going to go ahead with demo? Or at least go ahead and get everything out of there?

• Thanks 1

I parked on Liberty Street between Main and Broad the other day and noticed a large QR code on the window of the building on the Broad side of The Local Hiker that most recently had a salon.  Coming in "Spring" is The Club House, another indoor golf simulator / bar.  Similar to Streaking Birdies below Rockers, I presume.  There's also a similar business coming to the shopping center behind IHOP and the new Popeye's on the Eastside.  Definitely a "hot" concept right now.  But anyway, I'm glad to see a night time attraction in this part of downtown.

122annotated.thumb.png.c7c359e3c47a4f9e42ec6c63701287d4.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This H-J article says the newly renovated buildings on Magnolia Street will be home to an expansion of The Children's Museum of the Upstate.  I assume that will be in the basement / Spring Street portion, since Cara Bella Boutique is immediately adjacent to the current Museum.  They also mention a jewelry store, but that might just be a reference to Cara Bella (the wording is unclear).  Pic from a few days ago:

PXL_20240214_221917586.thumb.jpg.92d0fdc6859b64c5847df09b68b6150f.jpg

• Like 1