The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

20 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Does anyone know when Bricktop's is set to open? The interior looks great from the outside.

Side note: I think their awnings are too low. It's a rather big design flaw that Hughes should not have allowed. 

Late August or early September. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article regarding the Sabor closure

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/why-did-greenvilles-sabor-latin-street-grill-close-so-suddenly/article_1055930a-382f-11ee-8534-b7542e75d2a6.html

Sabor owner was looking to transfer ownership to a local operator / franchisee and apparently missed a required date for lease renewal and the landlord leased it out under him.  Sounds like the owner had several other issues understanding/following Greenville's processes for restaurants

• Thanks 3

All, given gman430's repeated posts that knowingly and intentionally include false information, I've added gman430 to my "ignored users" list.  I think it's better to tune gman430 out than to engage with him.  You can click on your username on the upper-right part of the screen, then click on "ignored users" and do it that way.  It's disappointing that the utility of this forum is devalued by people who knowingly and intentionally post false information, but I'm not going to let my time be wasted anymore by such people.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I get frustrated with gman430 too, I think his overall negative attitude toward Greenville is ridiculous (and so do all the people and businesses who are flocking here) and I get really annoyed when I think there is some new news I get excited to click on and instead  he wastes my time with at "This is dead. Sad." post. However, I think he puts a lot of effort into researching what's going on in this town and provides invaluable information to the board. Also, he's welcome to his opinion, however much I disagree with it, and I think it's better to engage, debate, and try to persuade people who disagree with me than tune them out. All of that said, knowingly and willfully posting false information really is a serious transgression. Can you provide examples of his having done this and your evidence that if he did it wasn't an honest mistake?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, clemsonfan said:

I get frustrated with gman430 too, I think his overall negative attitude toward Greenville is ridiculous (and so do all the people and businesses who are flocking here) and I get really annoyed when I think there is some new news I get excited to click on and instead  he wastes my time with at "This is dead. Sad." post. However, I think he puts a lot of effort into researching what's going on in this town and provides invaluable information to the board. Also, he's welcome to his opinion, however much I disagree with it, and I think it's better to engage, debate, and try to persuade people who disagree with me than tune them out. All of that said, knowingly and willfully posting false information really is a serious transgression. Can you provide examples of his having done this and your evidence that if he did it wasn't an honest mistake?

And nice, high-res drone shots cover a multitude of sins. Though I haven't seen any of late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, clemsonfan said:

Thanks.

I for one make a LOT of mistakes.  However, when something I post is shown to be wrong, I will either delete it and mark the post as "Deleted due to error in post" or something, or specifically add "EDITED TO ADD" and then add the correct information.

My issue with gman430 is that he repeatedly and knowingly posts things that are wrong.  If something online is a joke, it should clearly and consistently state that.

For example, just in the past few weeks on this board (and there is another forum online where he has posted false information):

There are lots more; I will dig them up.

GMAN430 just likes to tease. Considering how long he's been on these forums, he of all people understands that Greenville had made a lot of progress but also likes to pretend it's doomsday here when a project isn't moving forward quickly enough. He's perhaps the most connected person to the development industry in this forum (outside of Trey Cole of course), and seems to even have connections at P&C and Greenville News which gives us all an advantage yet likes to post in every thread with a dead project asking us when its going to get started. If you dont know when the project starts GMAN, we likely dont either. He's absolutely on the side of growth here in Greenville but just likes being facetious is all. Would absolutely recommend him to be unblocked. 

Edited by GVLover
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, GVLover said:

GMAN430 just likes to tease. Considering how long he's been on these forums, he of all people understands that Greenville had made a lot of progress but also likes to pretend it's doomsday here when a project isn't moving forward quickly enough. He's perhaps the most connected person to the development industry in this forum (outside of Trey Cole of course), and seems to even have connections at P&C and Greenville News which gives us all an advantage yet likes to post in every thread with a dead project asking us when its going to get started. If you dont know when the project starts GMAN, we likely dont either. He's absolutely on the side of growth here in Greenville but just likes being facetious is all. Would absolutely recommend him to be unblocked. 

I can save us all some time, without having to deal with the negativity and misinformation.

Greenville posts all building permits online.  If you have a question about what's going on at a property, go to CoG C2G Building Permits (aspgov.com) and click on "Select Application".  On the next screen, type scroll to "Address" and type in the address.  Then the building permits will appear. 

Design Review Board agendas, with details about upcoming projects in and around downtown, are at Design Review Board - Urban Panel | Greenville, SC - Official Website (greenvillesc.gov).

Lots more information is directly available online.  Perhaps this forum should have a master page with these links.  

It's not as though Albert Einstein is hiding and revealing kernels of wisdom to us via gman430's posts; these things are publicly available and easily accessible.  

Edited by PuppiesandKittens
  • Like 1