The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

For old Cook’s Station on Augusta: 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/greenville-west-end-boutique-to-double-space-in-relocation-add-cafe/article_7cdcd346-458a-11ed-bf29-4b3cf715bef6.html 

Good to see a retailer expanding in size downtown. 

Edited by gman430

28 minutes ago, gman430 said:

That is nice to see! Happy to see Augusta keeping its boutique niche. I'm interested to see what proposal comes out for their former Main Street location. 

• Like 1

Women’s clothing store Madewell to open 2nd SC spot on Greenville’s Main Street

125 N. Main St.

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/womens-clothing-store-madewell-to-open-2nd-sc-spot-on-greenvilles-main-street/article_cfad1a56-4fdd-11ed-a1c5-6bf7dcc5623d.html

Is Camperdown that expensive? Sheesh. 

Edited by GVLover

4 hours ago, GVLover said:

Women’s clothing store Madewell to open 2nd SC spot on Greenville’s Main Street

125 N. Main St.

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/womens-clothing-store-madewell-to-open-2nd-sc-spot-on-greenvilles-main-street/article_cfad1a56-4fdd-11ed-a1c5-6bf7dcc5623d.html

Is Camperdown that expensive? Sheesh. 

I wonder if this could be the tip of the iceberg for national retailers entering downtown? 

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

There are already a bunch, from Lululemon to J. McLaughlin.

From Anthropologie to bluemercury. I fully expect we will see more come downtown due to the lack of space at Greenridge (2 spaces available) and Haywood Mall (5 spaces available). There’s more space available at Magnolia Park but some reason clothing retailers don’t seem to wanna locate there. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Brooks Brothers closing but the whole company wasn’t doing well so it is what it is. Greenville definitely wasn’t alone with losing one of their stores: https://www.businessinsider.com/brooks-brothers-closing-stores-list-addresses-affected-by-covid-19-2020-7?amp

I was really hoping Lucky Brand would have gone downtown as the new Greenville store will be their only full fledged non outlet retail store in the state. Not even Charleston has one if you don’t count the outlet locations. I guess Haywood Mall is better than nothing though. Still in the city limits so that counts for something. 

Coming soon signage up for Jack Brown’s.

Coming soon signage up for Chef 21 at McBee Station: https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/eat-drink/chef-21-tea-republic-to-open-in-mcbee-station/

Permanent signage up for Peoples Tap at Riverplace.

Work well underway for new outdoor plaza area for O-Ku and Indaco. 

Larkin’s at Camperdown is now open. 

Scoundrel is now open. 

Coming soon signage up for Sofrito’s.

Coming soon signage up for the Mockingbird at old Coast space for the Peace Center.

Mama Mozzarella is now open at Gather: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/life/food/2022/10/21/new-restaurant-mama-mozzarella-italian-deli-opens-at-gather-gvl/69572303007/?itm_source=premium_bundle&itm_medium=onsite

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

And my comment is addressing the possibility of much more. I'm curious about what it says that they chose a one-off storefront versus a larger development. Maybe nothing? 

The new location is next to Bluemercury and a bunch of other (I guess) higher-priced women’s clothing stores.

Camperdown has Southern Tide, but no other clothing stores for women.

I’d guess being close to similar stores is what made it locate on North Main.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Addy’s to close. Add this to the long list of empty retail spaces downtown. Sad times. :( 

I appreciated that they gave an explanation in the Journal article regarding their water damage issues and legal fight. I hate to see them go, but hope someone will fill that cool tiny spot on Coffee Street.

2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I appreciated that they gave an explanation in the Journal article regarding their water damage issues and legal fight. I hate to see them go, but hope someone will fill that cool tiny spot on Coffee Street.

That's so sad to hear.  One of the last original spots downtown.  Moved here in '94 and it was Addy's, Dempsey's and Henni's downtown.  That was pretty much it.  Always loved the vibe at Addy's.

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

Addy’s to close. Add this to the long list of empty retail spaces downtown. Sad times. :( 

Bummer to see it go but (1) it could open elsewhere and (2) I see a huge amount of good news with new national and local stores and restaurants flocking downtown.  I don’t see many retail vacancies.

11 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Bummer to see it go but (1) it could open elsewhere and (2) I see a huge amount of good news with new national and local stores and restaurants flocking downtown.  I don’t see many retail vacancies.

There are at least 13 empty spots on Main Street alone:

-Former Strawberry Bowls

-Next to Comedy Zone (2 spaces)

- Former Cochran Jewelers 

-Former Southern Tide

-Former iStore

-Camperdown (2 spaces)

-Former Army Navy Store 

-Former Husk

-Former Cooks Station

-Homewood Suites (2 spaces)

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

There are at least 13 empty spots on Main Street alone:

-Former Strawberry Bowls

-Next to Comedy Zone (2 spaces)

- Former Cochran Jewelers 

-Former Southern Tide

-Former iStore

-Camperdown (2 spaces)

-Former Army Navy Store 

-Former Husk

-Former Cooks Station

-Homewood Suites (2 spaces)

Many of them already have tenants lined up.

Even the most successful shopping districts are bound to always have a few vacancies. If the district is thriving, the rents will rise so that eventually the weaker stores will get pushed out even if they were otherwise doing well. What percentage of storefronts are vacant? I walk around downtown all the time and don't think it an egregious amount.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Many of them already have tenants lined up.

Not sure what you mean. Literally all of those spaces I listed have “for lease” signs up. If they had tenants lined up, they wouldn’t be for lease.

Edited by gman430

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

Not sure what you mean. Literally all of those spaces I listed have “for lease” signs up. If they had tenants lined up, they wouldn’t be for lease.

Just for one example, the Army Navy store: the building was bought and is being renovated.

Clearly that’s a sign of a thriving downtown, even if the building is now vacant.

If only a vacancy rate mattered, then it would be better to still have Woolworth’s and a wig shop next to it, instead of ONE (and Anthropologie, etc.).  Is that what you want?