The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

On 3/9/2022 at 10:27 AM, GVLer said:

Does anyone know what is going in the former Liberty Taproom space?

Someone told me that they heard Rick Erwins  Seafood is relocating there.  Haven't heard anything official though.  

17 minutes ago, SVL said:

This whole thing is interesting. The Drive owner is going to try and draw people to his restaurant/bar space on the Main Street side of the field. Meanwhile, the City has invested (at the encouragement of the Drive organization) to create a fan-oriented space that will inevitably draw people to (yet-to-be-named) competitor businesses in the new Jackson apartments' ground floor. Ultimately, the entirety of the spaces around the ballpark are going to create one fantastic gameday experience for fans. I look forward to finding out more, and taking in games this summer. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

They are moving to a new location, yet to be disclosed.   The previous location doesn't yet have a consistent high level of foot traffic, despite being close to Fluor Field.

22 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I've heard about this. Apparently there's already something planned for the space. It should be a nice addition to the culinary offerings of downtown. 

This is what is coming in it's place.

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/eat-drink/a-scoundrel-of-a-restaurant-is-coming-to-downtown-greenville-sc/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SVL said:

Wow, this guy certainly sounds confident.. well deserved with a resume including Per Se and Noma though.  Hoping the dining experience truly is accessible and price meets the value (the table-side schtick kinda worries me though, usually only see that at places that need to do that in order to get people in the door... the food should do that itself)

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

The more I read about it the more it sounds like we could have our first Michelin starred restaurant on our hands: 

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/2022/04/01/new-restaurant-opening-downtown-greenville-handi-restaurant-space/7037869001/ 

That would be hard considering you have to be in NYC, California, Chicago or DC to get Michelin reviewed.  Miami is being added this year.

What we'll be looking for is some major James Beard award attention though.

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 1