Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

8 hours ago, davidclt said:

I'm not clear on why you'd be moving with your hazard lights on? Regardless, it not illegal in NC but it is against the law in quite a few places: When You Should Use Your Hazard Lights When Driving.

That article clearly says you can use them while moving. For instance, funerals.   I've seen folks using them (in rare instances) while speeding down the fast lane. I always assumed they had a baby on the way or someone was bleeding and would give them plenty of room.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

That article clearly says you can use them while moving. For instance, funerals.   I've seen folks using them (in rare instances) while speeding down the fast lane. I always assumed they had a baby on the way or someone was bleeding and would give them plenty of room.

Sure you can, but the question is, should you? If you're on a limited access highway, I maintain if you're moving and using your hazard lights, you're doing it wrong and you need to not be on the highway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davidclt said:

Sure you can, but the question is, should you? If you're on a limited access highway, I maintain if you're moving and using your hazard lights, you're doing it wrong and you need to not be on the highway.

I now live in a region wherein drivers commonly use hazards while driving in harsh weather (thunderstorms, deluges, snowstorms) or sudden traffic incidents. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

That article clearly says you can use them while moving. For instance, funerals.   I've seen folks using them (in rare instances) while speeding down the fast lane PASSING LANE. I always assumed they had a baby on the way or someone was bleeding and would give them plenty of room.

I thought it was customary to use hazards during funeral processions.  Especially since traffic is usually following smaller local roads, not interstates.

Aside from that exception, most of the times hazards are used is to alert other drivers of a car sitting idle on the side of the road/moving very slowly.  It can be extremely confusing when hazard lights are on and the car is still driving at a regular speed, especially at night in the rain.  There have been a number of times that I have not been able to tell how far away I am from a moving car with its hazards on, because it keeps moving and changing lanes (which can't be signaled in most cars due to turn signals doubling as hazard flashers).

• Like 4

On 10/23/2023 at 12:58 PM, Windsurfer said:

On another topic, it's pretty awesome that in London the lights turn yellow before turning green, in addition to turning yellow before red.  Nobody runs the yellow (probably because of all the millions of cameras around) an there're never delays in traffic from folks not paying attention.

This is common in many countries where manual transmissions still reign supreme. It gives the first driver time to get back in gear and get ready to move.

• Like 2

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/relief-coming-congested-i-485-interchange-west-charlotte/S4STCHHY4JCCXKRFNYO34G7BWA/?outputType=amp

Good news on the front of improving congestion at the 485 interchange in west Charlotte. As a resident of this side of town and someone who uses the 485/85 interchange daily, I can say this is needed and overdue. Always thought this was horribly designed. The article doesn't mention when work is expected to start but gives the impression it will be soon as funding is being allocated from a House contingency fund. Had this needed to wait on DOT, it would be 2033 before anything would be done. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FLOSC843 said:

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/relief-coming-congested-i-485-interchange-west-charlotte/S4STCHHY4JCCXKRFNYO34G7BWA/?outputType=amp

Good news on the front of improving congestion at the 485 interchange in west Charlotte. As a resident of this side of town and someone who uses the 485/85 interchange daily, I can say this is needed and overdue. Always thought this was horribly designed. The article doesn't mention when work is expected to start but gives the impression it will be soon as funding is being allocated from a House contingency fund. Had this needed to wait on DOT, it would be 2033 before anything would be done. 

And while Moore was here peacocking about finding $45 million taxpayer dollars in his couch cushions he decided to twist the knife in the heart of transit expansion again by saying Charlotte residents are not smart enough to decide how to spend our own money:

Prominent NC lawmaker delivers a blunt message on Charlotte's $13B transit plan

“I’ve been very candid with the mayor and with others,” he said. “I’m very resistant to raising taxes. I think we need to find other ways to fund these kinds of projects [transit]. We don’t have a shortage of dollars; I think it’s a matter of repurposing what we have and making sure we’re using dollars in the wisest way.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/11/03/tim-moore-vi-lyles-transit-taxes-nc-ncga.html

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, FLOSC843 said:

I wonder if Tim Moore's appearance on the west side has anything to do with this? 🤔

Republican NC House Speaker Tim Moore running for Congress | Charlotte Observer

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FLOSC843 said:

I think this is great news and it was built and designed wrong from the beginning.  With CLT airport right there and that is the shortest bypass it should have built 2 lanes ramps from the get-go.  I am glad the state is moving it up as many have said it is a real choke point and almost backed up all day long.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Hey to get back to highways and state maintained roads around the south.  I have been to almost every state in the south this year and here are my power rankings of highways in them.

Top of the list would be Texas as their urban highways and interchanges are best in class but their rural roads and highways are good too.

Not in particular order but Virginia, Georgia, Florida,, Kentucky and yes North Carolina would be in the 2nd best group.  All have decent urban highways and rural roads and highways.

Next level down on the list would be Alabama which is better than Mississippi but both are decent.   I would rank South Carolina in with these 2 states but the worst of them but I would alway say SC seems to be improving their roads the most of these 3 states .  

At the bottom of my power rankings would be Tennessee and Louisiana.   Both have serious deficiencies in the urban areas and rural areas.   

Like I said I have driven in all the above states this past year.  

couple of photos from the winning state in this region  1, photo of the High 5 in Dallas LBJ Freeway and N Central ie I-635 and US 75   2. I-10 Katy Freeway west Houston 16 lanes total including 4 express HOV lanes   3. Loop 410 and I-10 interchange being rebuilt in San Antonio.  This is typical Texas style of compact urban major interchanges.  

Texashigh5.jpg

20231026_144918.jpg

20231029_101224.jpg

• Like 2

I live in Tampa and can say that without a doubt that every major city needs to invest in mass transit. The traffic here is horrible. The state spent millions on big shiny roads that are either useless or parking lots pretty much all day everyday. Even if you have to do it segments, building alternative ways of getting around is paramount for growing cities. If something isnt done here in Tampa soon, I feel it will choke on its own growth. The city council here cancelled a cross bay ferry and voted down a tax hike for transit funding. SMH, I don't know who or where thsese folks live but can they see the traffic build up on the Selmon, I-4/275 interchange and 75 north from Riverview to the MLK. Its bad. 

• Like 3