Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

^that looks like a textbook stolen car scenario.  Car crash followed by what appears to be the driver fleeing the scene (bystanders would typically move back a bit but will be focused on the accident that just happened, not just blindly running off).  Looks like a Dodge Challenger which is known to be targeted by car thieves.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I for one think this was a mistake.  I-77 will never be widened in our lifetimes now….

• Like 1

https://news.yahoo.com/nc-rejects-cintra-plan-still-192715754.html

Reading is fundamental.

Actually the Cintra proposal was rejected not the idea of pursuing a public-private partnership to widen and add managed toll/flex bus lanes to I-77 from I-277 to the NC/SC state line. The project will be fully analyzed with the environmental assessment document. The project will be sent out for fully advertised open bids for the P3 either as early as 2025. The CRTPO will decide which bidder works best after the bid submission closes.  I highly doubt it'll be Cintra/ I-77 Mobility Partners in the end.

On 8/18/2023 at 7:55 AM, Nathan2 said:

Honestly, I think it's a good thing. More lanes, toll or not, are not going to benefit the community in the long run. Tolls lanes on 77 North already don't make much of a difference and only benefit those who can afford it. We shouldn't be throwing billions at projects that are band aids. Maybe the continued crazy traffic will get the State and Local officials to think outside of the box (transit). 

I agree that High Volume Transit (Train/BRT/etc.) is a good thing but with the NCGA in control of Politicians not keen on funding Public Transit, I wouldn’t hold my breath with the thought/fantasy  that they’ll relieve any Charlotte Pain/Grief derived from the woefully inadequate/insufficient infrastructure needs here in the Great State of Mecklenburg.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2023 at 1:00 AM, nicholas said:

^that looks like a textbook stolen car scenario.  Car crash followed by what appears to be the driver fleeing the scene (bystanders would typically move back a bit but will be focused on the accident that just happened, not just blindly running off).  Looks like a Dodge Challenger which is known to be targeted by car thieves.

Even if the most recent incident was a stolen vehicle, there haven been several catastrophic vehicle incidents along Independence due to speed and roadway design to be a major freeway not a surface, at-grade boulevard. NCDOT is dragging their feet on the full conversion into a limited access because it's not a priority & costs per the Division office staff response. Right-of-way acquisitions is very costly but if you prioritize it in one methodical strategy with a firm timeline then it wouldn't be as pricey as their dragging their feet. 

Look at the US1 conversation through Southwest Wake County to I-40 or in Alabama with Memorial Parkway (US 231) through Huntsville as prime examples firm time lines leading to sufficient roadway conversions from at-grade to limited access in the midst of rapid growth and development along said corridors.

Edited by kayman
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2023 at 2:44 PM, kayman said:

The Charlotte MPO nor NCDOT haven't ever tried to use ramp meters at all. As a matter of fact there is a congestion management process (CMP) https://crtpo.org/projects-plans-programs/congestion-management-process/ doesn't even mention ramp meters.

That link is the federally mandated congestion management process that requires an update every few years by the metropolitan planning organization with 200,000 or greater populations such as the Charlotte urban area MPO. 

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/ITS and Signals Resources/01. Executive Summary Ramp Metering Study for Metrolina.pdf

They did a study and they decided not to use them throughout because they didn’t like how it was working though I’m not sure what is meant by that. I heard this from someone at NCDOT. The study summary is linked there. Not sure of anything other than that they looked into it and nothing came of it. I haven’t read anything in about the study either but I’m sure there’s results out there and analysis of how it functioned in Charlotte.

Edited by JRCLT
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JRCLT said:

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/ITS and Signals Resources/01. Executive Summary Ramp Metering Study for Metrolina.pdf

They did a study and they decided not to use them throughout because they didn’t like how it was working though I’m not sure what is meant by that. I heard this from someone at NCDOT. The study summary is linked there. Not sure of anything other than that they looked into it and nothing came of it. I haven’t read anything in about the study either but I’m sure there’s results out there and analysis of how it functioned in Charlotte.

Oh I'm familiar with that bs report from NCDOT. That's their bureaucratic way of saying we see the need for something (in this case ramp metering) but we would rather do it elsewhere to satisfy TPTB.

A reliable source who worked with & retired from NCDOT after 2 decades,  affirmed what NCDOT is aware of what/why certain measures are needed in Metro Charlotte.  However, they also said NCDOT rather implement necessary measures more elsewhere in NC. Although those very measures are more appropriate for Charlotte aka the Metrolina region (NCDOT 10 & 12) as a trial region for congestion management/mitigation performance measures. However, it is an appease maneuver that tends to results in Charlotte having to pay for things itself or half-a**ed deals when it's in dire need of implementation like what resulted in the I-77N Managed Lanes operated by Cintra/I-77 Mobility Partners for example of a poorly executed yet rushed P3. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2023 at 3:58 PM, Crucial_Infra said:

Some days I like to peruse the traffic cams in Charlotte and Raleigh to compare and contrast the vibes. Yes, we should not celebrate traffic and yet, it’s a good sign for a bustling city 😬

IMG_3026.jpeg

IMG_3024.jpeg

IMG_3023.jpeg

IMG_3027.jpeg

P.S. When I become governor, I’m updating all NCDOT traffic cameras. 

I do the exact same thing... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NotSoAlien said:

Does anyone know whats going on Hwy 16? Between the areas circled in red below. They have been cutting the center grass area out and putting what appears to be turn around areas. They are also doing work off the sides of the roads near the bridges. Does anyone know why they are doing any of that?

123.thumb.png.83e186c8e3a15cdf7f39ea665532cfc1.png

Probably to make left turns from Pleasant Grove as inconvenient as possible because "safety" and "traffic flow".

On 9/8/2023 at 2:38 PM, NotSoAlien said:

Does anyone know whats going on Hwy 16? Between the areas circled in red below. They have been cutting the center grass area out and putting what appears to be turn around areas. They are also doing work off the sides of the roads near the bridges. Does anyone know why they are doing any of that?

"Superstreet"/reduced conflict intersections (u-turn to turn left or cross road).

Project plans: https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Division 10 Letting/07-20-2022/P_meck_DJ00421_07202022.pdf

Edited by cowboy_wilhelm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

0% chance this happens, but I wonder how effective an alternative project to I-77 widening/tolls would be. Like, say, putting in a commuter rail (sort of the opposite of the Red Line) in the median or alongside 77 all the way down to Rock Hill. 

Edit: now that I look at it, there are already tracks (guessing freight?) that go from downtown Rock Hill to Gateway in Uptown. They follow along with the southernmost portion of the Blue Line before diverging west for a bit, crossing 77, and then looping back into Uptown by joining the Amtrak tracks. Is this something that has been explored in the past as a regional or commuter rail option? 

Edited by Reverie39
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, kayman said:

It is being explored but not commuter rail rather regional passenger rail corridor btwn Charlotte & Columbia. The issue is getting elected officials to push for South Carolina to support this alignment.  This is also a situation where both North Carolina and South Carolina could work together.

Kayman, I appreciate your knowledge of transit/transportation. Can you tell us (specifically me) what the differences are between commuter rail and regional passenger rail? I'm not sure I know the differences and am eager to learn. 

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

Kayman, I appreciate your knowledge of transit/transportation. Can you tell us (specifically me) what the differences are between commuter rail and regional passenger rail? I'm not sure I know the differences and am eager to learn. 

Commuter rail is basically a form of regional transit within a commutershed of a principal city or cities of a MSA or CSA. Regional passenger railway is basically short-distance intercity rail between different cities like the BrightLine in FL, the Carolinian btwn Charlotte and Raleigh for examples

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2