CONSTRUCTION THREAD: TD Bank Regional Headquarters Campus

g-man430

I've wondered what the spinoff business would be for a financial company. I can see restaurants and such, but is that really a spinoff? To me, that's more of other companies taking advantage of an enlarged market. If you look at BMW, they are an assembly plant. All of the parts are made by spinoff suppliers and shipped to BMW. To me, that's spinoff. Can someone lend a bit of insight? :blink:

That was my thinking as well. Great minds think alike, ya know :lol:

When referring to spinoffs, I would have thought CPA's, Attorneys, Insurance (title,business, etc). I guess we will have to see.

As far as GSupstate comments, here is my take. The 600 jobs figure is probably a lowball figure. By lowballing it prevents trouble later on incentives agreements that often are tied to the number of jobs. Given the excess number of parking spaces, excess square footage and acreage, they no doubt expect to hire more than 600 pretty soon after completion.

Of course, considering they expect three additional phases, there is plenty of anticipation of growth.

Hopefully, this will be the white-collar equivalent of BWM. BWM only promised like 400 or 600 jobs initially, yet 4,500 work there now. Spinoff suppliers employ even more than BMW itself.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully, this will be the white-collar equivalent of BWM. BWM only promised like 400 or 600 jobs initially, yet 4,500 work there now. Spinoff suppliers employ even more than BMW itself.

According to a report on BMW's statewide economic impact as of 2002, for every employee at the plant itself, four others were hired by suppliers around the state. Very impressive! :shades:

When referring to spinoffs, I would have thought CPA's, Attorneys, Insurance (title,business, etc). I guess we will have to see.

Most definitely. I think these will be the principal spin-offs. I do think however, (actually after a conversation I had today, it's more than think....it's knowing) there are a couple of great surprises up their sleeves. :D

For those that may want to follow South Financial's stock, the stock symbol is TSFG. They are up today at the moment.

On a side note, I'm in the process of changing my accounts from Wachovia to Carolina First in light of the South Financial announcement. Keep the money in Greenville! :thumbsup: I would encourage others who take a serious interest in Greenville to do the same. We help South Financial grow and they help us grow. A win / win! :thumbsup:

I'm also contemplating changing my account from Wachovia to a state-based bank. Carolina First is actually in the process of building something here in Rock Hill on one of our main thoroughfares. I also remember them building something in Spartanburg (on Main, I believe).

I'm also contemplating changing my account from Wachovia to a state-based bank. Carolina First is actually in the process of building something here in Rock Hill on one of our main thoroughfares. I also remember them building something in Spartanburg (on Main, I believe).

Woohoo! Keep the Green in Greenville. I, too, need to do this. Unfortunately, my home equity is with Wachovia and I'll have to pay an attorney to switch. Durn attorneys. Grumble, grumble.

While on the subject of TV stations, what in the World is up with WSPA7 these days? They make very little effort to reach beyond the small viewership in Spartanburg County. Watching their news makes you believe they think Spartanburg is the center of the Universe. South Financial Group HQ expansion gets a back row seat to several stories of weekly Spartanburg crimes. In the end, though, you get better coverage of Spartanburg from WYFF4. How ironic! :blink:

I'm a little late on this one but.....

:offtopic: WSPA is Spartanburg's station. It is after all WSPA. A friend of mine who used to work up there said that when they show too much coverage of other places in the Upstate, they get numerous calls and complaints, etc. You guys know that I love Spartanburg, but even I have had to stop watch Channel 7 (in favor of Channel 4) due to their... well, Spartanburg-centric view on everything. They don't have to be Greenville-centric, but they can be much more balanced than they are. They have offices in Greenville and Anderson, so why don't they use them!? I think their problem is mismanagement personally. Its probably why their ratings are falling. Channel 4 even has the advantage of having a downtown office in Sparkle City, which they could use to bolster their status. :offtopic:

Off of my horse now. Perhaps that topic deserves a thread of its own?

Go with First Citizens. Those suckers are in every town small or large in this state :thumbsup:

Walking down Orange Avenue in downtown Orlando this past week and passed by a Mercantile Bank. I must have had a big cheesy grin, because my business peer noticed and ask why I was scoping out Mercantile. Told them the whole South Finanical thing. I must say, the image at the Mercantile I saw was clean and modern. South Financial seems to be doing things right! :thumbsup:

Archived