CONSTRUCTION THREAD: TD Bank Regional Headquarters Campus

g-man430

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi.gif, Jagsfan! Great to have you onboard with us and I hope you'll feel like contributing often! :thumbsup:

Okay, I am very glad to experience the improvements in our media options these days. It seems that each of the ones we look to most have become far more focused on delivering info we want to hear/read/see. That being said, there is still PLENTY of room to grow. Take WYFF4 this evening: The report about the "I-85 Boom Corridor" was a great idea, but when the map was shown fullscreen to display what projects are in the works, they never mentioned Millennium Campus, The Point, and The International Trade Center. If this was to be an accurate representation (as we would only have it) of everything happening along the interstate, they failed miserably in this report by Tim Waller (sp?). I have noticed several splashes of misinformation here and there in our media outlets. I hope they work to improve this problem. Reporters need to be more involved in the Greenville community so that they will instinctively write factual information. :thumbsup:

They did mention and show The Point, but they didn't mention or show Millennium Campus or the International Trade Center.

-What is the International Trade Center and where is it located? Is there a website for it?

-And Skyliner they did not fail miserably. They showed Greenville Mall, Verdae, ICAR, South Financial Group HQ, and The Shops at Greenridge. Also, they spent at least the first 5-10 minutes of their 30 minute broadcast talking about the new South Financial HQ coming here, a lot more time then I was expecting. I thought they did a good job, personally. You are right though that they still need improvement and that the reporters need to get involved with the Greenville community more.

G-man, you ought to read the forum a little closer, as the website for the International Trade Center has been linked to more than once. ;)

I did say that they (our local media professionals) have done a great job lately.

Tim only briefly mentioned The Point, but did not show it on the fullscreen map with the other projects. The only two large corporate and research developments shown were ICAR and Verdae. Incompletion in reporting (when the complete info is available) is a miserable failure, IMO. I know many of these reporters who have not been out in the area keeping up with everything that is happening. Kind of ironic, eh? :rolleyes:

Thanks, Skyliner. I sure do appreciate it. :thumbsup:

-When is construction going to begin on this? In the rendering on the homepage of the International Trade Center, it looks like that is Laurens Road going by it on the left and then the new J.L. Mann high school tennis courts, football field, and baseball field in the background. Is this true?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, but have been keeping up and reading here for a while. I did have the opportunity to attend the press conference this morning and regarding sites in FL, the basic explanation Mack gave was that in just 5 years of being in FL, the FL market represents over 40% of the bank's business and will be where the growth is in the future for the bank. I do think it was a consideration, though it was severely hadicapped from the get-go. And if you can't tell by my tag, I'm originally from Jacksonville. I'm living in Greenville now and am just starting to get as interested in its development as I was in Jacksonville's and still am. I'm looking forward to all these projects in Greenville. You guys do a great job of keeping up on things and hopefully I can help going forward.

Welcome to the Greenville forum Jagsfan! :D Look forward to your imput. I've always enjoyed going to Jacksonville as this city has been really doing well with projects for quite some time.

Hope you enjoy Greenville as much as we all do! :thumbsup:

They did mention and show The Point, but they didn't mention or show Millennium Campus or the International Trade Center.

-What is the International Trade Center and where is it located? Is there a website for it?

-And Skyliner they did not fail miserably. They showed Greenville Mall, Verdae, ICAR, South Financial Group HQ, and The Shops at Greenridge. Also, they spent at least the first 5-10 minutes of their 30 minute broadcast talking about the new South Financial HQ coming here, a lot more time then I was expecting. I thought they did a good job, personally. You are right though that they still need improvement and that the reporters need to get involved with the Greenville community more.

I have noticed that most of the TV News services have been combining ICAR and Millenium as one Project. The keep saying the headquarters are next to ICAR and never mentioning the fact that Mellenium falls between the site and ICAR.

I have noticed that most of the TV News services have been combining ICAR and Millenium as one Project. The keep saying the headquarters are next to ICAR and never mentioning the fact that Mellenium falls between the site and ICAR.

That seems to be the case here: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/assets/gif/BS22420317.GIF

Not to keep harping on a negative tone, but I forgot to mention that during the report by Tim Waller, I expected to hear several names of the headquarters located or locating along the "I-85 power corridor," but very few, if any were mentioned other than BMW. Why has Hubbell Lighting been excluded so often? It is very hard to overlook such a large and imposing structure directly off of the interstate.

These are the ones I can think of with major presence along I-85 in the Upstate:

(Please add any you can think of not mentioned.)

• BMW
  • Michelin
  • Hitachi
  • Hubbell Lighting
  • South Financial Group - coming soon
  • Bosch
  • Walgreens - massive distribution center
  • Datastream
  • Rockwell Automation
  • Budweiser of Greenville
  • Budweiser of Spartanburg
  • Nissan - distribution
  • Caterpillar of Greenville

A lot more people have heard of ICAR than Millenium campus. Most people have never heard of Hubbell. I had never heard of them until they announced there move to Gville. TV is produced for the masses, you have to simplify things.

I understand your concept, vicupstate, however I disagree with offering only a few of the details. They spent plenty of time going over the same facts, but missed the opportunity to show just how great an impact the I-85 corridor is making on the Upstate. A few details more and they would have been there, and in the same amount of time. ICAR and Millennium Campus are seperate - a fact that everyone should be aware of.

We're down to the details with WYFF4 and that's good progress from a year ago. However, there is room to grow and I expect to hear and see nothing less than the "whole" story regarding each project.

While on the subject of TV stations, what in the World is up with WSPA7 these days? They make very little effort to reach beyond the small viewership in Spartanburg County. Watching their news makes you believe they think Spartanburg is the center of the Universe. South Financial Group HQ expansion gets a back row seat to several stories of weekly Spartanburg crimes. In the end, though, you get better coverage of Spartanburg from WYFF4. How ironic! :blink:

We're down to the details with WYFF4 and that's good progress from a year ago. However, there is room to grow and I expect to hear and see nothing less than the "whole" story regarding each project.

While on the subject of TV stations, what in the World is up with WSPA7 these days?

As a general rule, TV news is not heavily relied upon for information purposes. I think that for anyone who is interested in getting reliable information, print media is the preferred choice. That's not unique to this market.

Wanted to see if anyone has heard the below concerning the South Financial campus. The source I heard this from is only moderately reliable......my two really good reliable sources are both out of town.

I heard the South Financial campus was going to have a retail / restaurant component for the public....very upscale.....built as a promenade along both sides of the lake in the center of the campus. Again, my source on this one is only average reliable. However, knowing some of what we know, could this be true?

We have heard the following through media reports and announcements:

1. We know from the renderings we've seen, there will be a linear lake in the center of the campus.

2. We've heard this will be unlike any corporate campus the Upstate has ever seen.

3. We heard there will initially be 1,500 parking spaces, but 600 employees....more than two spaces per car? A little odd.

4. We know the square footage that has been talked about is much larger than that needed for 600 plus employees. Again, a little odd.

5. We heard there will be MUCH spinoff business....could some of this be retail and restaurant related?

6. We know many upscale restaurants are looking at this area and some of them are usually not freestanding....ie: Ruth's Chris, Cheesecake Factory.

7. We've heard there will be some "surprises" about this campus.

Anybody else heard this, or thinking along these lines? Just curious. I for one, think we are in for some more great surprises! :thumbsup:

There is absolutely no doubt that South Financial Group has major plans not made public yet. An initial investment of $100 million, and confident disclosure of three additional phases in the future adds up to something unlike anything we've seen locally. I expect to see some colaboration with Verdae Development before long. :shades:

I've wondered what the spinoff business would be for a financial company. I can see restaurants and such, but is that really a spinoff? To me, that's more of other companies taking advantage of an enlarged market. If you look at BMW, they are an assembly plant. All of the parts are made by spinoff suppliers and shipped to BMW. To me, that's spinoff. Can someone lend a bit of insight? :blink:

I noticed that as well. Greenville News says that as well. I think they have selective memories.

Archived