Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

• 3 weeks later...

A screen cap from the Bravo TV show, The Tankards. (Number two rated cable TV show).

This view shows all of the Nashville urban core from Mid town to SoBro and more.

NashArial1_zps43bf015f.jpg

This shows how Nashville's skyline is much more than a cluster of high rises downtown. It is a 40 block long east/west skyline and stretching 10 blocks north and south.

• Like 3

A screen cap from the Bravo TV show, The Tankards. (Number two rated cable TV show).

This view shows all of the Nashville urban core from Mid town to SoBro and more.

NashArial1_zps43bf015f.jpg

This shows how Nashville's skyline is much more than a cluster of high rises downtown. It is a 40 block long east/west skyline and stretching 10 blocks north and south.

Great shot. What in the world is a Tankard?

That's an awesome angle of Nashville! I wish it was a higher quality photo instead of a TV screen shot. 

The reality show is actually called Thicker Than Water:The Tankards and I believe they are based in Murfreesboro. According to his wiki, Ben Tankard is a former pro basketball player turned gospel/jazz musician. I know many are not a fan of these reality shows about Nashville, but at least this one isn't inspired by the country music industry and shows a different side of metro Nashville. 

Edited by ariesjow
  • Like 1

I really like the Luxus.  Thanks for the pics.  I never saw that snuff factory close enough to notice how nice and Deco its lines are.  It's actually a handsome building.  I'm guessing 1940s industrial?  

I fear that Boyle is going to botch the NorGu (hmmm, maybe not!) site.  That tunnel looks like it could be somewhere in Hickman county on a forgotten country road (ok, without the sidewalks perhaps).  I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be surprised to see low-rise suburgatory with cheap materials. 

Edited by MLBrumby

Please forgive my ignorance and withhold the laughs. I should probably go back to Urbanplanet 101, but what exactly is core drilling? I always read it on here and until now I never realized that I don't actually know the purpose behind it.

Edited by bigeasy

^^^well, I'm no expert on the subject, but this is what I've always understood about it. A "core drill" is a technique of drilling with a hollow bit on a planned construction site. The resulting "core sample" is a cylindrical shaped sample of the actual earth and geological conditions of the site. Taking multiple cores from a site gives a real world picture of the varying densities of earth and bedrock at the site. This helps engineers to plan structural design and excavation techniques.

There are probably other things it helps to determine, which I'm not aware of, like water table line, environmentally sensitive zones and the chance of historical significance (although I'm sure the later is not the point of core samples).

• Like 2

I really like the Luxus.  Thanks for the pics.  I never saw that snuff factory close enough to notice how nice and Deco its lines are.  It's actually a handsome building.  I'm guessing 1940s industrial?  

I fear that Boyle is going to botch the NorGu (hmmm, maybe not!) site.  That tunnel looks like it could be somewhere in Hickman county on a forgotten country road (ok, without the sidewalks perhaps).  I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be surprised to see low-rise suburgatory with cheap materials. 

Oh no, NorGu ain't going to happen like fetch in the movie "Mean Girls."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

By my count their could be as many as 13 cranes by the first of 2015! 1515,1212,Gulch crossing,HCA and North Gulch,SoBro,Westin,Hilton Garden Inn,Buckingham and maybe one or two in Germantown. Right?

1212 Will be down within a month, more than likely. But yes... there is certainly potential to have quite a few cranes, and larger projects like Buckingham & 1515 will probably require two, maybe even three at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is going on Rosa Parks right across from Crest Cadillac in MetroCenter?  When I bought my car from Crest Honda last fall, there was construction going on at that site.  I went in for an oil change this morning and there is still construction going on.  Apparently not much progress has been made.