Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

As I was leaving today I drove through the Gulch. Crazy how far it has come! Let me just say that the Mondrian/Laurel looks much bigger when right in that neighborhood. I think it "looks" bigger coming west (?) down Demonbreun than even when you drive past on the interstate. It's just hard to tell from pictures pictures sometimes! If the Eakin tower ever gets gets built, and say a 12 story hotel (along with GC), the Gulch will be even more impressive "urban wise!"

Here's another 1864 photo taken around the time of the Battle of Nashville.  This is looking northeast from what is now, essentially, the corner of 10th and Union.  Sadly, all of what you see in the foreground is now a parking lot.  :(:dunno::shok:

nashville02110u_t607.jpg

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

I love well colorized photos. It really helps bring images like that to life, instead of appearing just as some drab 2D representation.  If done properly, it takes the viewer back to when it was taken, without them even realizing it sometimes.  I think we forget that the world was just as colorful, just as lively, 150 years ago than it is now.

• Like 3

I saw this today and just had to share it.  It is a colorized photo taken from the TN state capitol building, looking to the northeast.  It's a stunningly beautiful photo, in my opinion, taken just after a cooling rain on a beautiful morning in 1864, which, of course, is during the Civil War.  However, to me the photo is also a bit sobering as it gives just a slight glimpse at some of the incredible historic architecture that has been destroyed in this city both by man and by nature. 

LaFHhqE.jpg

It's funny, I was thinking about this particular photo just today. Barakat posted it on this thread in the Coffee House forum back in August: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/116105-cool-colorized-1864-photo-from-state-capitol/

I believe the view actually is facing southeast, not northeast. Those homes would be along Charlotte. 

It's funny, I was thinking about this particular photo just today. Barakat posted it on this thread in the Coffee House forum back in August: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/116105-cool-colorized-1864-photo-from-state-capitol/

I believe the view actually is facing southeast, not northeast. Those homes would be along Charlotte. 

Look at all those Federal-style brick houses, which were probably the first houses constructed there in the early 19th Century.  The Second Empire style didn't really get going in the US until the late 1860s and especially the 1870s and 1880s, whereas France's Second Empire actually ended in 1871.

^Those brick homes would've likely replaced earlier, crude wood or log structures. I expect most of those homes in the photo would've been torn down over the next 20 years in favor of those more ornate Second Empire or Victorian/Italianate styles.

As an aside, I was looking at a photo of the old town square. After the Strickland Courthouse was built, the old Nashville Inn apparently still stood on the east side (1850s). But before long, that was demolished for the exquisite set of Second Empire buildings that lasted about a century (before being demolished for the Gay Street Connector and Woodland St. bridge).

square.jpg?w=500&h=322

• Like 2

^Those brick homes would've likely replaced earlier, crude wood or log structures. I expect most of those homes in the photo would've been torn down over the next 20 years in favor of those more ornate Second Empire or Victorian/Italianate styles.

As an aside, I was looking at a photo of the old town square. After the Strickland Courthouse was built, the old Nashville Inn apparently still stood on the east side (1850s). But before long, that was demolished for the exquisite set of Second Empire buildings that lasted about a century (before being demolished for the Gay Street Connector and Woodland St. bridge).

square.jpg?w=500&h=322

Ug. I would trade Lower Broadway for that if we could have kept it.

square.jpg?w=500&h=322

I...I...err...wait...I...um...no...why???  For a road?  FOR A #$%*(&)@#(&%@ING ROAD?  What the hell was wrong with those people?! 

^Beautiful, isn't it ? Looks like it could be a Parisian street scene. And this is what it is today... https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=36.166972,-86.776728&spn=0.000006,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=36.167051,-86.777153&panoid=BJpStkg85nJOugbeclK8Hw&cbp=12,352.03,,0,0.46

There was a stretch of Union Street along the north side running east from 5th that had similar beauties...

NotSure_01.jpg

NotSure_02.jpg

NotSure_03.jpg

The same scene today: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=36.164527,-86.780118&spn=0.000006,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=36.164467,-86.781192&panoid=16jKuD53kIE1FD5l6iWb3w&cbp=12,65.39,,0,-10.43

You'll note the building on the right in the old photo still remains today (alas, it would be the least ornate buildings that survived) and a few more along the south side.

Here's a photo of the old Strickland Courthouse with the Nashville Inn (on the right) which preceded the Second Empire buildings...

CourHouseCivilWar_L.jpg

Edited by fieldmarshaldj

Wow.  The Union Street scene is heartbreaking as well, but due to the fact that those buildings were at least replaced with significant structure, the loss is slightly easier to stomach.  I just cannot fathom destroying those regal beauties for a river of asphalt though. 

walking home from the farmer's market, always loved this vista.

IMG_20131103_142052.jpg

eric b

This photo reminded me of a few I took a few years ago. Not sure the name of this building but this is def a unique angle for it

4082725013_22888940d0_z.jpg?zz=1

Flat Building by 00Accord4cyl, on Flickr

4082223920_73eed5ab95_z.jpg?zz=1

Different view of the Batman building by 00Accord4cyl, on Flickr

4083486280_4dcffe2143_z.jpg?zz=1

Nashville Scenery by 00Accord4cyl, on Flickr

• Like 1

I went in to the Commerce Union Bank Building (now Bank of America)  before it was opened to the public. On the top floor, I stood in that corner as close as I could to where the windows came together at that acute angle and go from floor to ceiling. My feet covered the floor to where I couldn't see it and I had the weird sensation of standing on air, 21 floors above the street.

Don't know what that has to do with anything, but it was memorable.

I always liked that building. The diagonal plaza that cuts across the block between the bank and the similarly styled Radisson (?) Hotel was one of the better downtown, urban 'places'.  

The Pinnacle tower, Encore, and the lovely backside of the new Hyatt place from the 19th floor of the Omni hotel.

10545962444_c47c81348c_b.jpg

Downtown Nashville from the 19th floor of the Omni Hotel by Misty Garrick Miller, on Flickr

10545930805_019d0c8ed2_b.jpg

Downtown Nashville from the 19th floor of the Omni Hotel by Misty Garrick Miller, on Flickr

The tower at 12th & Laurel from 10/20

10408004583_ad9a51fc3f_h_d.jpg

ICON 431 - 600 12th Ave S. #431, Nashville, TN 37203 -14 by evansgoodyear, on Flickr

• Like 3