Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Also, I believe the picture is inverted. The exterior stairwell on L&C (gray strip) faces south. In the picture, it is on the left. It should be on the right.

Just saw Baronakim's latest response. I agree.

Edited by UTgrad09
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Yes, I see it now.  Though where you got an Idea i thought it was from Edgefield boogles me.  I think the stairway on the L&C helps tie this down.  We are definitely looking st the back face of the L&C Penthouse.  From the position of the Ryman roof and the Broadway steeples, I would place this as near South Street going up the hill south of Edgehill towards 8th. .  My comments on the low end for the interstate loop I think are still valid.  Fort Negley would be to the right of the flipped photo.  That better?

Edgefield was the name in the description and on the photo, as posted by BNABreaker. He had no reason to doubt it. I didn't either, until I noticed something was quite amiss with the placement of the buildings and that the L&C would have to be 180 degrees in opposition to this shot if it were viewed from across the Cumberland. You were correct about the general location of the photo. I think UTGrad may be right about the location, taken from just above Archer on Southside. However, it may also have been taken from 10th, in a location that may now be the interstate. Enormous swaths of that area were demolished en masse not long after this photo was taken.

12 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Sorry folks... didn't mean to cause a kerfuffle... I just went with what the caption said!  🙂

No problem. This isn't the first time an old photo was posted here with the wrong caption and flipped the wrong way. No reason to think it was incorrect, just a nice color photo of an inner-city neighborhood prior to "revitalization." It piqued my curiosity, because I wanted to find the exact spot today, only upon closer inspection, noticing the buildings faced the wrong way and it couldn't be East Nashville it was taken from. Too bad the photographer didn't note the precise location when they took it (unless they did and the caption was lost to time).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Alley said:

edgehill0021 unknown street in Edgehill.jpg

Now, that looks almost recognizable... and apparently taken somewhere to the west of 8th Avenue south. Is that Cannery Row right above the trees at the center left? Looking to the right of the L&C, there are the JC Bradford and Noel Hotel buildings... and the large antenna would be about where the ATT building on Second Avenue is.

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

I recall someone asking for locations of vintage brick smokestacks in the area last week. I spotted one today as I drove past the former Clover Bottom Development Center campus on Stewarts Ferry Pike in Donelson. Images shared from Google Maps.

IMG_2228.jpeg

IMG_2230.jpeg

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: Lower Broadway, 1986.

Broadway 2, 1986.jpg. x.jpg

Broadway 3, 1986.jpg x.jpg

Broadway 6, 1986.jpg x.jpg

You should post these photos on the "I Remember Nashville When" Facebook group for all the people that whine about how good that area was in the good old days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1