Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

22 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Cleaning out boxes of old papers, I found this rendering of a proposal I designed back in the early eighties for a concept called Eurosphere.  The highway on the right is I 65 and the other is Briley Parkway at Dickerson Pike.  This was a massive complex of shopping , hotels and condos based on all European stores...No American stores allowed..  The central areas with the Brandenburg Gate with fountains behind is approximately where Skyline hospital is today.  Other features include the Crystal Palace, the Arc de Triomphe, Harrod's of London with Big Ben, the Ponte Vecchio housing jewelers, a working windmill, the  Hôtel de Ville and other famous European landmarks.  On the far right is a full scale Flavian Amphitheatre for a proposed Olympic to be held in Nashville in 1996. All the parking was under it with elevators and escalators ascending directly into the mall.It failed but inspired the creation of an Atlanta Olympics committee which did succeed.  The Eurosphere proposal  was designed in the early eighties to open in 1986.  If you look carefully, you can see Haley's comet in the rendering.  The proposal got fairly well along  including getting engineers on board (Gresham)  along and Harrod's tentatively agreeing to open it's first NA store.   The project was scuttled with a bad downturn in the economy.

IMG_20210929_095525134.jpg

This would have been awesome 

• Like 2