Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

🚧🚧🚧🚧

We are continuing weekday blasts as part of our New Horizon expansion project for roadway improvements and the extension of Concourse D. The Tennessee Department of Transportation (myTDOT) is conducting simultaneous blasting operations to improve access to BNA. Check out the designated blasting zones on our map. Thank you for your patience.IMG_4344.thumb.jpeg.9ee9d023af17d24734ff49cbb0d8284b.jpeg

📣 The next phase of blasting at BNA for Terminal Roadway Improvements begins tomorrow (May 9) at 1 p.m. 

What you need to know:
*Blasting operations will commence in the yellow highlighted zone designated in the graphic, starting at 1:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and last roughly five minutes. 
* This will temporarily impact traffic flow along Terminal Drive. 
* Our Department of Public Safety officers will stop traffic at designated locations along Terminal Drive during the blasting operation to ensure public safety.IMG_4345.thumb.jpeg.1fafec5d05bcf09e7667752594b91e89.jpeg

• Like 3

On 5/3/2024 at 3:15 PM, Bos2Nash said:

but but but, these oversized roads lead to massive economic development. Don't you guys know anything?!

Shifty Eyes GIFs | GIFDB.com

I don't know how else to explain this but this post feels like "opposite day Argo"

• Haha 4

Sites 4 and 6 would make the most sense to me. Specifically Site 6 because of its adjacency to Briley Parkway. Site 4 does make sense too due to its adjacency to Murfreesboro Pike and the plans for BRT connection and possible APM at the airport.

I think if they were to build on Site 3, they are just ASKING for additional traffic problems. No matter how much transit there is going to and from a terminal, if we are talking about 30 million passengers going in and out of that single site it is going to be chaos!

• Like 3

Minor question. But why is the plan to rebuild A with a turn in it like C, instead of extending B to mirror C, and also rebuilding A to mirror or be even larger than D? 

Bad photoshop example below. It would be a lot more visually appealing from the air! 

mirror airport.jpg

• Like 3

Site 4 I think is the best option-you could have directional signs at the Briley Parkway exits on both I-40 and I-24 to exit there for terminal 2 instead of everyone getting off the current airport exit which is bad enough I hear. Then  they could get on Murfreesboro Rd to get there.

Site 3 would absolutely be a traffic nightmare. So if site 4 is chosen, then site 1 is probably where they would relocate the Air Guard and general aviation.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

Site 3 would absolutely be a traffic nightmare. So if site 4 is chosen, then site 1 is probably where they would relocate the Air Guard and general aviation.

The Guard indicated they plan to move to the Smyrna airport. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, volsfanwill said:

Minor question. But why is the plan to rebuild A with a turn in it like C, instead of extending B to mirror C, and also rebuilding A to mirror or be even larger than D? 

Bad photoshop example below. It would be a lot more visually appealing from the air! 

mirror airport.jpg

Not too shabby on the quick photoshop lol

If I had to take a guess this approach would be limited specifically by Terminal Drive with its direct access to I-40. We can see in the snip below the fill project occurring to allow the Terminal A expansion. Being hemmed in by the interstate access would make expanding B too tight for aircraft to then maneuver around to A.

image.png.f52e8037de19cdccca6f5bde17eac83d.png

Also out here is what appears to the water treatment (?). This would also need to be relocated (and presumably a TON of underground piping) to allow for a second satellite concourse to be built.

image.thumb.png.ca6fa0a3570697e83a7cf160d1f0848e.png

Personally, I like the second Terminal idea. I would think one terminal could be for domestic or short international (think Caribbean/Central America/Canada) and the second terminal could be true international terminal that could service large aircraft. Obviously we need the runway expansion to go hand-in-hand with that idea, but it would be cool to one day see A380s land at BNA (if they are still flying when this happens haha)

• Like 3

Another garage seems like a boondoggle considering the express lot is still closed. They have the capacity and choose not to use it. Same with economy C only being 3/4 available. Best of both worlds would be to build a garage on that land like the BWI daily garage which has 4 stops at elevator banks which are 100% covered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Interesting...

Currently, a runway separates the existing terminal with Site 4. In all likelihood, the runway would be closed and decommissioned to more easily link the two terminals, Kreulen said.

That is the runway that causes all the flight path issues for height restrictions above 750' in the central core.   So, if that runway is eliminated during the construction of Terminal II, it would seem that those FAA restrictions will no longer apply from that point onward.  

I like that site even more now. Perhaps, that’s why they did not choose site 1, as it may be the location of a future runway. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, markhollin said:

Interesting...

Currently, a runway separates the existing terminal with Site 4. In all likelihood, the runway would be closed and decommissioned to more easily link the two terminals, Kreulen said.

That is the runway that causes all the flight path issues for height restrictions above 750' in the central core.   So, if that runway is eliminated during the construction of Terminal II, it would seem that those FAA restrictions will no longer apply from that point onward.  

Had the exact same thought when I read it.  @Luvemtall

Edited by nashville born

13 minutes ago, nashville born said:

Had the exact same thought when I read it.  @Luvemtall

Airport wants to cheap out again and have buses linking them?   Better to have frequent underground autonomous shuttles.  Or at least something like Orlando and Tampa have.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nashville born said:

Perhaps I need a human body in the picture for more accurate scale.  As is, seems pretty narrow.

This section will be pretty narrow, as it has to fit around the new Central Utility Plant(I believe), the new gates will be in a wider section beyond this connecting section. 

Edited by downtownresident
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1