Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

This is speculation on my part. No proof. The Memphis airport number are 4.36 million passengers last year but up from the 2 million in 2020 but way down from the high in 2007 of 11.26 million. They have flights to India, Asia and Europe including carriers of Air Japan, Air France, Korean Air & Emirates, not to mention United and Delta that fly international out of Memphis. So, there is a lot to protect. 

If Nashville got international flights, I would say the international out of Memphis would greatly reduce or disappear altogether. I think most of those carriers would be flying onto Nashville instead.

Wow I honestly had no idea that was such a big airport. 11 million??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think the airlines were connecting. It was hard to find info on the fly for Memphis until I did about 5 searches and finally found info. It seems as if Iflymemphis is about the 1oth item to come up. 

I think you mean they were codeshare.  Any Air France or Korean Air flights would be on Delta aircraft, for example.  There are zero international passenger flights out of MEM.  FedEx, however, is another story with its cargo flights:  Bogotá, Calgary, Cologne, Dubai, Edmonton, Guadalajara, Liège, London, Mexico City, Monterrey, Montréal, Ottawa, Panama City, Paris, Querétaro, Quito, San Jose (CR), Seoul, Tijuana, Tokyo, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think the airlines were connecting. It was hard to find info on the fly for Memphis until I did about 5 searches and finally found info. It seems as if Iflymemphis is about the 1oth item to come up. 

https://www.flightconnections.com/flights-from-memphis-mem

They currently don't have any international passenger routes. They have a Calgary route beginning in October.

12 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

I think you mean they were codeshare.  Any Air France or Korean Air flights would be on Delta aircraft, for example.  There are zero international passenger flights out of MEM.  FedEx, however, is another story with its cargo flights:  Bogotá, Calgary, Cologne, Dubai, Edmonton, Guadalajara, Liège, London, Mexico City, Monterrey, Montréal, Ottawa, Panama City, Paris, Querétaro, Quito, San Jose (CR), Seoul, Tijuana, Tokyo, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg.

I think when I first looked that is what I found. Sorry for the confusion.

So, the REAL key statement from FAA dude in Memphis is

"The Runway 2L-20R Justification Study did not provide data or rationale to support a major runway extension. The document did not show a demand that required a major extension.”

https://simpleflying.com/why-the-faa-wont-let-nashville-airport-extend-its-runway/

Which, uh, isn't any more comforting and might actually be more disconcerting.

From the online Tennessean (paywall) https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2023/08/31/monells-at-the-manor-genesco-threatened-by-nashville-airport-runway-extension/70723045007/ 

Nashville's Monell's at the Manor, Genesco could be torn down for airport runway expansion

...  The Federal Aviation Administration has blocked the airport's effort to extend the north-south runway, saving Monell's for the time being. 

...  The mansion that houses Monell's was bought by the airport in 1940 and has leased three consecutive proprietors for various restaurant operations over the years. Monell's opened at the location in 2011.

... The mansion sits in the airport’s future building restriction line and must be removed to allow for standard airfield design criteria associated with Taxiway A, the relocated perimeter vehicle service road and a security fence, according to documents provided by the airport.

... In previous years, King said airport leadership has discussed transferring the mansion's ownership to Monell's and moving the building. But where the building would go has remained a mystery.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1