South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

While I do not agree that professional sports at the minor league level are economic development drivers (aside from the NFL, it is even questionable at the major league level), I am glad to see the new mayor looking to position Columbia for a team at some point. With a metro approaching 800k, the support for the team would be there, especially with a nice stadium in the Vista (though I would not want to see a team play at Carolina Stadium). The challenge will be, as it is with all cities, financing the stadium. Even though I think newspaper comments are almost 100% worthless, without even a plan, you see the same comments of don't use tax money to build a facility. Columbia will have to be creative to get a deal done. But, a stadium down on the river in the Vista would be a tremendous setting for minor league ball. Along with Carolina Stadium, it could make a nice bookend to the planned riverfront park.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does a minor league stadium cost these days (Single A). Carolina Stadium was in the 36-40m range but, I think that would be high for a single A team.......any thoughts? Also, how much flexibility do SC cities have in taxing hotels/rental cars for stadium projects? How were the stadiums in Charleston/Greenville financed?

What does a minor league stadium cost these days (Single A). Carolina Stadium was in the 36-40m range but, I think that would be high for a single A team.......any thoughts? Also, how much flexibility do SC cities have in taxing hotels/rental cars for stadium projects? How were the stadiums in Charleston/Greenville financed?

The Drive paid for Greenville's Fluor Field. The City just provided the land.

I have a question for Spartan- what about people who didn't go to Carolina? Should Columbia not make itself attractive to college graduates other than gamecocks? :dontknow:

You're probably asking the wrong person because I don't see what difference it makes. I like 'BCS' level college sports. If I lived in Raleigh I would go to NC State games; in Athens I would to to UGA games, etc. It doesn't matter to me who's playing. IMO, 1-A minor league baseball isn't much different from college from an athletic perspective and that's probably what Columbia would get.

I'm not opposed to a minor league team in Columbia, I'm just opposed to building another stadium in downtown.

• 3 weeks later...

South Carolina is sending 5 teams to the NCAA Tournament this year: Coastal Carolina, Carolina, Clemson, The Citadel, and CofC.

Coastal Carolina is hosting a regional which includes CofC

Carolina is hosting a regional witch includes The Citadel

Clemson is playing at the Auburn regional

All and all a good year for South Carolina college baseball!

http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/2010/ncaa_bracket_DI_baseball.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm glad that Clemson made it as far as they did. Clemson, Coastal Carolina, and the other South Carolina teams that made it to the tournament really showed our state in a good light. (They also made the road to the Championship a little sweeter for Carolina) :shades:

And by the time the regionals, super regionals and College World Series are over, we get to find out who really is the best team in the country. In this case the smartest team won. The Gamecocks' GPA was the highest of the eight teams in the CWS.

• 1 month later...

There's nothing wrong with baby steps in such a tough conference. Most Gamecock fans are in the same mode as Spurrier: wait and see. The Tide might learn to swing some bats next year, too.

LOL. With 13 national football championships under their belt, they hardly care about how to swing bats. Now if a college only has a bat to hang their hat on, it may be important. ;)

I guess the Tide will flood the chicken coop again this year. ;)

Alabama has 7 that are recognized by the NCAA. Just a technicality though- I'm not dogging their program :thumbsup: I generally will pull for Alabama in SEC West games. Sometimes Ole Miss too because they are kind of like the Carolina of the SEC West, so I respect their struggle.

Also, just remember that the last time Alabama came to Williams-Brice Stadium, Carolina won. :shades:

The way I see it, we play Alabama early, and we hung in the game last year until the 4th quarter when it all fell apart. Our depth has improved this year, and supposedly the O-line is better too (though I want to see it before I'll buy into that idea). Plus we have a good home-field advantage. I think Carolina will be ready for Alabama, and it should be a good game.

Alabama has 7 that are recognized by the NCAA. Just a technicality though- I'm not dogging their program :thumbsup:

Actually 8 are recognized by the NCAA....just a technicality though. Here are the 8 and the 13 overall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS

How many has USC won? I can't remember. ;)

I also noticed Clemson is on the national champs list I posted. Congrats to the Tigers. :good:

I don't believe in making predictions, but I predicted (no, wait, I knew, wonder why) that the Gamecocks' baseball national championship would be something someone would think laughable. The last image I have in my mind of the Tide coming to Columbia for football is one of a huge camper with 'Bama stickers all over it, slowly pulling out of a gas station on Elmwood and making its way back toward Alabama. Something about the way it was rolling oozed defeat. We can't live in the past, but then all of the Tide's championships were in the past, including last year's. And on behalf of anyone who likes baseball more than they do football, it's not nice to belittle the importance of their sport. At least most college baseball teams aren't often full of thugs.

Archived