South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

A victory over Clemson this Saturday would be a positive accomplishment for the Gamecocks. It would become the first time they have been successful against the Tigers in back-to-back seasons since 1969 and 1970.

I'm hoping Clemson will pull off an upset, but not at the expense of a serious injury to Lattimore.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact is both USC and Clemson suck at football. I love how fan-bases of both sides argue with each other over which team is better when neither one is worth anything. When are the two schools ever going to get REAL football teams that actually win national championships like Nebraska and Alabama?

Clemson was one dropped pass in the end zone away from defeating #1 Auburn on the road, so I wouldn't say they're worthless. A national championship victory is the ultimate acheivement for any college team, but championships aren't the only way to measure success in the NCAA.

A victory over Clemson this Saturday would be a positive accomplishment for the Gamecocks. It would become the first time they have been successful against the Tigers in back-to-back seasons since 1969 and 1970.

I'm hoping Clemson will pull off an upset, but not at the expense of a serious injury to Lattimore.

I won't see a Clemson win as an upset, but only as another example of how the prognosticators who are calling it a would be upset don't know what they're talking about. It's Carolina vs. Clemson for goodness's sake. The Gamecocks got their once-every-few-years win last year. After Saturday they'll have to say wait till next year again.

Clemson winning would be a major upset. Carolina is the favored and more skilled team this year. Plus as everyone has noted- this is a different Carolina. The x-factor is that it's a rivalry game, so anything can happen. Winning "once every few years" hasn't always been the case.

When I was in grad school at CU, I heard this legend:

Through the 1970's, the Clemson-Carolina series was relatively even. Clemson only lead by a little less than 10 games, and Carolina was making some serious gains. Between 1940 to 1975, Carolina led the series 18-16-2 (note that CU still led the overall series). Then in 1975, Carolina won by such a large margin (56-20) that the Clemson players swore that they would never let that happen again. Ever since 1975, Clemson has dominated the series 24-10-1. Part of this dominance is explained by Clemson being extremely talented during the 80s (leading up to and following the '81 National Championship) and that Carolina was so bad during the 1990s (except for a couple of years Tanneyhill was at QB). So, the legend seems to hold true at this point.

Still, my point here is that this rivalry has changed before, and I'm of the belief that it will change again.

Proud as a native Gamecock. Congratulations, cocks. Next: Gamecocks: 35....Auburn: 21

Uhhh, not quite. Not anywhere close as a matter of fact.

Oh well, this year's Gamecocks just weren't any match for Cam and the Tigers. USC should be heavily favored to possibly take the title next year though.

Uhhh, not quite. Not anywhere close as a matter of fact.

Oh well, this year's Gamecocks just weren't any match for Cam and the Tigers. USC should be heavily favored to possibly take the title next year though.

Indeed. There will always be next year. A reverberate theme for South Carolina Football. Go Ducks. :alc:

Auburn 56 and USC 17....that is known as an *ss whippin. :lol:

Kind of backs up my earlier post that USC was in the SEC championship not because they were good, but because the other SEC East teams this year were quite weak.

I watched the game and must say USC looked like the old mistake prone team we all know....turnovers and interceptions.

Carolina beat Clemson today in basketball. For that matter, we've owned Clemson in pretty much every sport in 2010:

• Baseball
  • Football
  • Basketball (men's & women's)
  • Soccer (men's & women's)

Plus we've won quite a few championships:

• SEC East Champions(football)
  • C-USA Tournament Champions (Men's Soccer)
  • NCAA Tournament, reached Sweet 16 ( Men's Soccer)
  • NCAA Baseball National Champions

I watched the game and must say USC looked like the old mistake prone team we all know....turnovers and interceptions.

USC was in the championship game because we won more games than everyone else. It's not our problem we're better than every team in the East this year. USC was a little sloppy, but Auburn is also that good and they got a few lucky TD's (like that hail mary before the half). They're probably going to win the national championship. The good thing is we get to go back to Atlanta for the Peach Bow against FSU. There will be a lot of garnet in that stadium.

Oh and in other news, Clemson made it to the bowl game in Charlotte.

• 3 weeks later...

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=thestate2&page=cbask/scores/final/W50322.htm

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-baskbl/2010-11/releases/20101222euexgs

This is an example of the primary reason why I have become a solid fan of college basketball. Furman University, a small and expensive private school in Greenville, soundly defeated the University of South Carolina, a much larger and more affordable public university from the state capital. I love college basketball stories like these - despite their small size, schools like Wake Forest, Davidson, Butler, and Wofford performing well in men's basketball against much larger schools. Basketball is a sport with fewer personnel requirements, which allows schools of any size the opportunity to compete at the highest level.

• 1 month later...

With baseball season starting soon, it's worth noting that South Carolina is well represented again this year on the pre-season ranking lists:

USA Today/ESPN

5- Clemson

8- Carolina (5)

20- Coastal

Baseball America

7- Carolina

10- Clemson

20- Charleston

College Baseball

4- Clemson

14- Carolina

24- Coastal

35- Charleston

• 2 weeks later...

Clowney chooses the Gamecocks. I watched the announcement, including what some South Pointe faculty members had to say about him. He seems like a genuinely nice and bright young man. He wants to play with some friends of his. ESPN said USC needed him more than Alabama or Clemson did.

• 4 weeks later...

Carolina defeated Clemson in baseball in the rubber game for the series. The Gamecocks were ranked #4 and the Tigers #7.

In other news, this was the last season for the "Reedy River Rivalry Game" in Greenville (for now). I personally hope that the Clemson and Carolina series continues the tradition of playing one game at a neutral site in South Carolina and rotate through the various sites. There are many cities with minor league stadiums that could be used:

Greenville (Drive)

Myrtle Beach (Pelicans)

Charleston (RiverDogs)

Fort Mill (Charlotte Knights)

Spartanburg (Duncan Park Stadium)

I excluded Columbia's old Minor League stadium since it is so close to Carolina Stadium. I also excluded Anderson's because it is fairly close to Clemson.

I would love to see a Clemson vs Carolina game at Duncan Park, but the stadium would need a substantial renovation before that would happen.

In other SC sports news, Wofford College men's basketball team won the SoCon Championship for the second straight year, and will be headed to the NCAA Tournament again!

Archived