South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great game today! Carolina's dismantling of Clemson was a true pleasure for me. This was the first Palmetto Bowl I've watched recently where Carolina was unquestionably the better team, and the dominating score and stats of this game reflect that. Clemson is a good team though, and I'm sure they'll make a good run at the ACC Championship game.

And for what it's worth, I expected no less :whistling:

I guess I'll stick around Columbia after all. Gamecocks-themed stores are very excited about the holiday shopping season now! It will be a big boost to the local economy. This game is a tremendous game changer for USC's football program. We'll lose only nine seniors.

What a great game today! Carolina's dismantling of Clemson was a true pleasure for me. This was the first Palmetto Bowl I've watched recently where Carolina was unquestionably the better team, and the dominating score and stats of this game reflect that. Clemson is a good team though, and I'm sure they'll make a good run at the ACC Championship game.

And for what it's worth, I expected no less :whistling:

While I did not expect it, I had hoped for it, and nice to see it happen! Way to go gamecocks! I am sure Clemson fans feel like they "gave some" to Carolina, but I think Carolina "gave" just as much to them if not more; 7 pts right off the bat, interception, fumble, bonehead play after the blocked punt right before the half, roughing the passer on the 3rd down in the second half, etc. This is the first time since 94 that I felt like SC really dominated Clemson, and it was in every catagory. About 100 of Clemsons total yards came in the last few minutes after SC went to the prevent D. This game was not as close as the score. Good win for the team and this looked more like the "New Carolina" I have been hearing about but not seeing enough of. The stage is set for USC to have some really good teams the next 2-3 years. Let's see if they can perform! :thumbsup:

Bad day for the ACC? :lol:

The Ball Coach really handed it to That Boy. It feels so good to wake up to beautiful headlines and pictures in the paper. Columbia was buzzing last night. There'll be no more Clemson football hubris around here for a while. I do hope they win their little conference game to make us look that much better.

The Ball Coach really handed it to That Boy. It feels so good to wake up to beautiful headlines and pictures in the paper. Columbia was buzzing last night. There'll be no more Clemson football hubris around here for a while. I do hope they win their little conference game to make us look that much better.

The gamecocks beat the Tigers yesterday. Plain and simple. As for you Corgi, I hope you never enter politics. Your emotional rollercoaster of gamecock athletics and Columbia is nauseating. :sick:

Clemson hasn't lost its pride. This was a much more important game to South Carolina (it always is). I'm not saying that I don't want to see Clemson beat the chickens, but the Tigers are playing for bigger things. A win in an ACC title game against a huge rival and a BCS invite is a bigger prize than "bragging rights" over the gamecocks. Clemson's lowest bowl prospect should be the Chickfila in Atlanta... The Palmetto Bowl isn't going to produce any less Clemson hubris around here.

I highly suggest watching this vid of the USC pregame. At 1:40, a gamecock fan says "I wish just everybody wears orange. Like at Clemson where everybody wears orange and it looks so good on tv". :lol:

Since I have no affiliation with either USC or Clemson, I'll say this. I honestly believe that USC will beat Clemson this year. I've watched a couple of USC games and I've watched a couple of Clemson games. USC has played like the better, more serious team. I won't be shocked one bit if USC wins this year, I expect them to.

Now as regards USC and Bama...........ROLL TIDE baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I called it correct almost two months ago. :lol:

I was out of town and busy with family.....only watched part.

From what I saw, Clemson looked like a high school team. They simply had no energy and didn't seem like they showed up to play. Even on the sidelines, I saw no energy from the Clemson coaching staff. USC clearly played a better game and had energy. USC deserved the win.

On the other hand, when I got back in town today, heard two girls at the store talking about the game (they were both USC fans). You would have thought USC just made a lunar landing on the moon! :lol: Shows this is a team with very few wins under their belt.

On the other hand, when I got back in town today, heard two girls at the store talking about the game (they were both USC fans). You would have thought USC just made a lunar landing on the moon! :lol: Shows this is a team with very few wins under their belt.

Well, you do have to remember that out of the 107 match-ups between the two on the football field, this was the chickens' 38th win. It's a rather momentous occasion! :silly:

As for the two girls talking, they sound like my Clemson co-workers when Clemson beats USC, going up and down the halls visiting their Clemson cohorts' offices, talking about the game as loudly as they please and laughing, knowing they're within easy earshot of Gamecocks fans. I guess they won't be so giddy tomorrow. It's Clemson's athletics facilities, not USC's, that has a permanent list of five goals hanging on the wall, one of which is to beat USC.

Thus the significance of this rivalry to this state. That game proved a lot of theories about Carolina football right, and the implications on the program and its future are huge. Next up is the bowl game, wherever we end up. Winning the season on a high note will hopefully keep a lot of momentum next year, since we're only loosing a few seniors. I'm personally hoping for another ACC matchup against Virginia Tech in the Peach/Chick-fil-a Bowl.

As for the two girls talking, they sound like my Clemson co-workers when Clemson beats USC, going up and down the halls visiting their Clemson cohorts' offices, talking about the game as loudly as they please and laughing, knowing they're within easy earshot of Gamecocks fans. I guess they won't be so giddy tomorrow. It's Clemson's athletics facilities, not USC's, that has a permanent list of five goals hanging on the wall, one of which is to beat USC.

I don't have a dog in this fight. My team is Bama (which rolled over USC and is also undefeated....Roll Tide), but since you responded to my post with the typical Clemson/USC tit for tat, I will say to your last sentence (which I bolded), according to GvilleSC, if USC has only won 38 out of 107 match-ups, then Clemson has obviously done very well with achieving their goal they have posted on the wall. :lol:

That's fine, but it's not always a more important game to USC than it is to Clemson, and that was my point.

I don't agree with that statement. The Clemson-Carolina game has always been important to both schools since its inception, and it always will be. Perhaps Clemson did lose focus this year since they have high post-season prospects, but it doesn't diminish the importance of Carolina's win or the rivalry. The banner you speak of isn't permanent, its something Dabo put up as goals for the season. Until Spurrier showed up, Carolina had a similar banner, except it had only one thing on it: "Beat Clemson." IMO, Spurrier has given the Gamecocks a good dose of reality since he's been there.

On a slightly separate note, I've heard that the athletic directors at both universities are considering moving the game to the first game of the year. That, IMO is a terrible idea. I look at the Clemson-Carolina basketball game as an example of why. I view that as a less intense/important game. Part of it is the nature of basketball, and the longer seasons with more games gives either school plenty of opportunity to recover. The other part of it is that early in the season both schools are still figuring things out, and the intensity does not have time to build. A later basketball game -and football game- allows a greater possibility of a high-ranking match-up between the schools. This is something I would like to see in my life time because it would add more national prominence to our rivalry (eg: Auburn-Alabama, Florida-Florida State).

I've talked to fans of both teams, and most like the idea of moving the game back to state fair week and bringing back Big Thursday. The game would still be rotated between stadiums, but having a nationally televised rivalry match on Thursday would be much easier to accomplish in terms of TV scheduling, and it is truly a unique tradition in this rivalry.

I've talked to fans of both teams, and most like the idea of moving the game back to state fair week and bringing back Big Thursday. The game would still be rotated between stadiums, but having a nationally televised rivalry match on Thursday would be much easier to accomplish in terms of TV scheduling, and it is truly a unique tradition in this rivalry.

To my knowledge, Big Thursday was never play at Clemson. Would the State Fair come to Clemson every other year? Or, why have the State fair line up with Carolina's biggest away game of the year when they play at Clemson?

I'm not a big fan of moving the game. I'd rather see Clemson set a fixed date with rival Georgia Tech to raise its game prestige.

To my knowledge, Big Thursday was never play at Clemson. Would the State Fair come to Clemson every other year? Or, why have the State fair line up with Carolina's biggest away game of the year when they play at Clemson?

I'm not a big fan of moving the game. I'd rather see Clemson set a fixed date with rival Georgia Tech to raise its game prestige.

You're right, "Big Thursday" was never played at Clemson, but the State Fair would just be the week of the event if possible. The game would still rotate between the two schools. The idea is to revive the Thursday portion of the tradition since it's now possible to do Thursday games on ESPN and not have it the last game of the season (assuming that is the objective of the two AD's). The State Fair isn't a major scheduling factor for current Carolina games as far as I know. Sometimes they play big games during that week, sometimes they don't.

And once again USC finishes another regular season barely above .500. When is USC going to stop worrying about Clemson so much and worry about their own team who only has ONE conference championship and ZERO national championships in 117 seasons? Waiting for the "but we're in a harder conference" excuse. How long are USC fans going to ride that train for? If Florida, Alabama, and LSU can compete in the conference why can't USC?

I don't agree with that statement. The Clemson-Carolina game has always been important to both schools since its inception, and it always will be. Perhaps Clemson did lose focus this year since they have high post-season prospects, but it doesn't diminish the importance of Carolina's win or the rivalry. The banner you speak of isn't permanent, its something Dabo put up as goals for the season. Until Spurrier showed up, Carolina had a similar banner, except it had only one thing on it: "Beat Clemson." IMO, Spurrier has given the Gamecocks a good dose of reality since he's been there.

On a slightly separate note, I've heard that the athletic directors at both universities are considering moving the game to the first game of the year. That, IMO is a terrible idea. I look at the Clemson-Carolina basketball game as an example of why. I view that as a less intense/important game. Part of it is the nature of basketball, and the longer seasons with more games gives either school plenty of opportunity to recover. The other part of it is that early in the season both schools are still figuring things out, and the intensity does not have time to build. A later basketball game -and football game- allows a greater possibility of a high-ranking match-up between the schools. This is something I would like to see in my life time because it would add more national prominence to our rivalry (eg: Auburn-Alabama, Florida-Florida State).

My statement was that it's not always a more important game to USC than it is to Clemson, and I don't see what there is to disagree with in that statement, but that's just MO.

And once again USC finishes another regular season barely above .500. When is USC going to stop worrying about Clemson so much and worry about their own team who only has ONE conference championship and ZERO national championships in 117 seasons? Waiting for the "but we're in a harder conference" excuse. How long are USC fans going to ride that train for? If Florida, Alabama, and LSU can compete in the conference why can't USC?

Maybe you haven't noticed, but since Spurrier took over, the objective has been to win the SEC. The rivalry with Clemson is not the sole focus as it has been in the past. It's kind of hard to accomplish though, when your conference has produced national champions 3 years in a row, and this year two teams are contenders. My point is not to make excuses, but provide explanations. The foundation for success is being built at Carolina. The competition level is extremely high, so it's not a feat that can be accomplished in a short amount of time (and as a side note, that is why I want Spurrier to stay as long as possible). After this season, even though it's another 7-5, I am more optimistic than ever because I've never seen a Carolina team play at a consistently higher level as this one (compared to previous years). In the past, the old Carolina would have given up, but this one kept its head high, competing toe-to-toe with the best in the nation on multiple occasions, and defeating some highly ranked opponents.

To that end, I hear all of this stuff about Clemson's history and past championships -not just from you but other Clemson fans as well. That's all well and good, but until this season the Tigers haven't produced a team that was a contender for the ACC championship in over 15 years. Brag all you like about the past, but their recent history is no better than Carolina's, except their margin of victory in the Palmetto Bowl during that time frame. This is the reality of college football in the Palmetto State.

I will once again compare it to Clemson's attempts to win the ACC in basketball. There are zero championships there, but I hear that same excuse all the time- the ACC is arguably the best conference in college basketball. The competition isn't going to give it away. When does it finally happen? Who knows.

Despite the rivalry with Clemson, I would like to see more prominence nationally with both universities, and I think that athletics are one means to that end in addition to a solid academic core. I think the future remains bright for all, and I hope to see some nationally prominent rivalry match-ups in sports other than baseball in my lifetime.

Oh I agree that both Clemson and Carolina have been nothing but average the last 15 years. Hopefully that will change soon for both teams. It already is for Clemson as you can tell by their conference championship game this weekend. Yeah, the ACC might be a cupcake conference but it's not Clemson's fault that happened. Same goes for USC for being in the SEC and the same division as Florida. I'm not going to use the excuse that the ACC which is one the best conferences in basketball is why Clemson doesn't have an ACC championship. Clemson has never really been a big powerhouse basketball team like UNC or Duke, so they aren't able to attract the talent those other schools are able to as easily. Yes, Clemson is getting better every year at basketball but they're still a little ways off from knocking off both UNC and Duke for the ACC Championship in my opinion. I do have to give credit to the Tigers though for beating Duke last year and holding them to under 50 points along with beating #10 Butler recently. Now if only they could do the same this year to UNC then that ACC championship title might not be a long way off anymore.

What I saw Saturday was basically a group of USC underclassmen performing as they had been trying to perform all season, especially the offensive line. I had given up on them and they showed me something. After the Spiller kickoff return I figured I was about to witness another thrashing, but they stepped up and played like leaders. I hope their youth and confidence pay off next year and the next, and that by two seasons from now it will just be a matter of reloading like the really good teams always do.

I find it amusing that after the loss, Clemson fans including plenty of my friends and co-workers act like this wasn't a big game and that Clemson had their eyes on a bigger prize. Since when is losing this huge in-state rival NOT a big deal? Last year Clemson fans were bragging just as well. Good luck in the ACC Championship....I will be pulling for the Tigers.

Archived