South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And once again USC finishes another regular season barely above .500. When is USC going to stop worrying about Clemson so much and worry about their own team who only has ONE conference championship and ZERO national championships in 117 seasons? Waiting for the "but we're in a harder conference" excuse. How long are USC fans going to ride that train for? If Florida, Alabama, and LSU can compete in the conference why can't USC?

As a Bama alum, I can answer that. While it may be the same conference, the quality of the programs between Bama and USC or Vandy is vastly different. Bama has a long history of a solid winning program dating back to the Bear Bryant days. While there have been off years, Bama is serious about football. There is an expectation at Bama that I have never seen at USC or Clemson for that matter. It also helps that Bama has the highest paid coach in the SEC, if not the nation. The amount of money Bama spends on the football program is staggering....too much most outsiders say....I tend to agree, however I sure do love the wins! :P

I hope we lose to USC in basketball just to make the last week look perfect.

I'll second that. :P

Actually I will give Clemson some props, they came to play and hung in there. I had thought GT would win but Clemson certainly showed up. I do want to say that as I listened to sports talk this past week, I found it hilarious how much many of the fans tried to downplay the loss to SC with talk of "looking ahead" and how they had "bigger fish to fry." I wondered how they expected to fry the "big ones" when they couldn't even fry the "little ones." Guess they have to do without fish at all this year. Fans are fans of course, but for years I have heard it from the Clemson fans about SC fans making excuses and such, maybe now Clemson fans are getting a dose of their own so to speak. Even though I think Clemson will win today, go Gamecocks! :good:

I didn't get to see the game, but looking at the recap it looks like USC hung in there, even though they lost to Clemson. I expect the injuries didn't help our situation, and I'm assuming Clemson's greater depth helped them out since it was a close game until the last few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Darrin Horn is moving the basketball program in the right direction but a simply HORRIBLE loss tonight to a 5-6 Southern Conference Wofford. No offense meant to Wofford, but SC should not be losing to them. :(

Coach Horn... Darrin Horn is the man who said that Richmond was the best team that they had faced so far this season. It's ok, you don't have to recognize Clemson's talent and coaching, but I'm glad to see the fourth smallest school in NCAA Division I basketball whoop your team. The last few minutes looked like high school kids running around flailing their arms about. Go Terriers!

The last few minutes looked like high school kids running around flailing their arms about.

Can't argue with that. While I think Horn has brought back some intensity that has been missing from the program, I am having some real trouble with his style of play. They just seem to run no offense. They either get transaction layups or throw up a 3. Case in point; with about a minute and 10 left they are down by 2, but instead of running an offense they throw up a 3, which wasn't needed, miss it, then Wofford gets a transiton basket. Now you're down by 4 with 50 seconds to go. BIG difference. :wacko:

I'm starting to think you just like saying that, corgi.

USC has a good basketball tradition, and this is the first loss to Wofford in 70 years. It's not the big of a deal. Even Clemson or dare I say it -UNC- loses to the little guys occasionally (Clemson lost to Wofford in 99). Injuries are really hurting us, but all these "great" freshmen we recruited need to step up.

I think we play Furman tonight, so this one becomes a must win.

• 2 weeks later...

That writer thinks we'll be #21. The official preseason polls (which I object to on principle) don't come out until August. USC played fairly well this year for such a young team, isn't loosing to many to the NFL, and has a favorable schedule, so next year should be interesting.

And following College of Charleston's OT win against UNC, Clemson dominated the Tar Heels last night at Littlejohn Coliseum. It's great to see two South Carolina teams beat North Carolina this year, despite how 'down' some may claim them to be. It's a shame that Clemson doesn't play the Heels in Chapel Hill, this could be the year to end the hideous streak up there... Oh well, GREAT win, tigers!

Hah, I love to see a Tar Heel beatdown, even if it comes from Clemson.

If the Tigers can beat NC State, Duke, and Wake Forest they will have beaten every team in North and South Carolina on their schedule (of which there are a surprisingly high number of teams).

USC

CofC

SC State

Winthrop

Presbyterian

Furman

ECU

WCU

UNCCH

UNCG

Archived