South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to win the SEC Tournament this year. It sucks that in baseball, that's all that counts at the conference level. It's not going to be easy either. Vandy and Georgia are in our bracket (UGA was 4th in the SEC after Carolina, Vandy, and Florida). Florida has it relatively easy in the other bracket with the SEC West being down this year. Should be a good tournament :shades: While I enjoyed hanging around the top all season, I'm glad that we finished the regular season ranked #1.

I guess props are also in order for Clemson. They've recovered from a very bad start and put together a decent season, ending up ranked #14.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Carolina's undefeated post season campaign and second consecutive National Championship has truly set a new bar for excellence in the Palmetto State. The Gamecocks set new records for post season victories in the NCAA Tournament and in the College World Series over traditionally strong teams like LSU, Southern Cal, and Texas. These records and championships place Carolina squarely among the nation's elite baseball programs. As an alumni, I was thrilled to see USC win it all.

Go Gamecocks!!!

sc_medium.png

Spurrier might be finally getting his kind of quarterback.

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2011/07/12/134214/nosovitch-commits-to-gamecocks.html

I can't read that link since I'm not a subscriber... But Conner Shaw and Tanner McEvoy are supposed to be "Spurrier's kind of QB" so I'm hoping one of them pans out. The new kid, which I assume the article is about, doesn't impress me at this point, but then he's mostly unknown.

We have a solid recruiting class lining up next year. The future keeps looking better and better for Carolina :shades:

Winning the SEC East outright last year was crucial to the success in recruiting. It proves we have momentum and that we can do big things when we have the tools to do it.

Spartan, the article talks about three Georgia high school football players who chose USC over traditional powerhouse programs, and about how that used to be virtually unheard of. I won't mention which traditional powerhouses for fear of starting an argument, but the article quotes the players saying they think South Carolina is a good environment and that they really liked Columbia, the coaches and the whole experience of each visit here. Go, Cocks! Spartan, have you tried visiting The State's website and reading the articles from the sports section? It doesn't work?

Cool, thanks for the information! People always throw around "traditional" powerhouses as a reference to teams that used to be good (and in some cases still are). Notre Dame is probably the best example of this. People get used to a concept of a team doing well, and when they aren't it doesn't make sense for some reason. Carolina used to be average, so therefore people will make that analogy. Based on Florida's example, you need to be consistently good/great for about 10-15 years before you will be considered a regular powerhouse team.

The State's sports section lets me read all articles except those that are in the "GoGamecocks.com" section. It will occasionally let me read one of those, which tend to be articles about larger USC topics (National Champions, etc), but typically not. Since they went to the subscription plan, I've been using the Post & Courier and another message board for most of my Carolina news.

In other news, Carolina is ranked #12 in the pre-season Coaches Poll. While I still don't take much stock in pre-season rankings (Auburn was unranked last year), it is noteworthy that this is the highest pre-season ranking USC has ever had. I also have to admit that it's fun to see the Gamecocks in the national discussion.

• 1 month later...

Clemson, Carolina, Wofford (beat PC), Coastal Carolina (beat Furman), and The Citadel all won this past Saturday.

In other sports news, Clemson defeated the University of South Carolina in men's soccer last Friday night. The 2-0 victory at Historic Riggs Field also marked Clemson's first soccer goals against the Gamecocks since 2006 or something ridiculous like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived