Broad Street Revitalization

wrldcoupe4

Also: Theatre IV/Barksdale has taken note of renewed activity along the Gallery corridor and will risk opening a major production of GUYS AND DOLLS at the Company's beautiful old Empire Theatre, 212 West Broad Street. It will run June thru August, with valet parking available. Here's a way to support your local theatre, enliven Broad Street and enjoy a fun-filled, elaborate musical comedy.

I have never understood why the Empire Theater is so underutilized. It's a beautiful theater. I didn't realize it was owned by Barksdale. They should abandon their lousy strip mall locale and move to the Empire permanently.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never understood why the Empire Theater is so underutilized. It's a beautiful theater. I didn't realize it was owned by Barksdale. They should abandon their lousy strip mall locale and move to the Empire permanently.

I have heard that the Barksdale will start using The Empire and the kid's shows will move to Willow Lawn. Perhaps this is the start of that. Good news if true.

I have heard that the Barksdale will start using The Empire and the kid's shows will move to Willow Lawn. Perhaps this is the start of that. Good news if true.

If that's true, it's great news and long overdue. I go to the Firehouse Theatre but never the Barksdale solely because of the Barksdale's strip mall location.

I like the International style more in highrises unless it's a house. Those are pretty odd and striking espeically for our area. But I'd much prefer the Second Empire that used to stand there.

And the Empire Theater, isn't that Theatre IV? I'd love to see that restored with its original fa

Speaking of the empire, here is a then & now clip.

That's a wonderful fade-in/fade-out, source. Thank you.

Theatre IV would love to have the money to restore the entire theatre, including facade, but money is a BIG issue. The much maligned VPAF originally included the Empire complex in its overall performing arts development program, but no need to rehash the good and bad of that plan. I believe they WERE instrumental in securing the lot immediately east of the old Walker Theatre for Theatre IV with hopes of building a 200-seat black box performing space to augment the Little Theatre within the old Walker. As far as I know, Theatre IV DOES own that empty lot and still has expansion dreams.

With the revival of the neighborhood, more attention will be paid to The Empire.

Speaking of the empire, here is a then & now clip.

This building opened in 1911 as The Empire, a legitimate theatre featuring stock companies and vaudeville. Subsequently, it was known as The Strand and continued presenting stage plays. Later, in those segregation days, it was renamed The Booker-T and was the premier African American movie theatre in the City. The building just to the east was constructed as a motion picture theatre just a few years after the Empire. Both the Booker-T and The Little Theatre, which had been renamed the Walker in honor of America's first female banker, closed in the early 1960's. After languishing vacant for several years, an enterprising gentleman bought both and cosmetically restored them. The Walker reopened as The Edison showing art films and The Empire became home to The American Revels company, a regional theatre which lasted about two years. Theatre IV purchased both buildings, performed major renovation, and has been operating them ever since.

That's a good fade... I have an even older picture of it because the pic they used was after an earlier renovation probably about the time of the name change.

Cam, if you (or anybody) has old photos of the Hippodrome on North 2nd Street together with construction date and interior features, I'd sure like to see and read them. I don't think any pix of the original Hipp exist. The theatre was destroyed by fire in the 1940's and replaced by the present structure.

Practically next door to the Hipp was a small movie house called The Globe. I believe it was demolished in the 1950's.

Not only that, where are the people? It looks like a scene from that movie "The Day After."

It must have been very early on a Sunday morning. I guess they chose that spot to show what a "modern" downtown we had.

Newcomers feeling the love: Artwalk meets goals of showcasing area, creativity

"Here's your headline," said Stephanie Jenks. "We don't get this stuff in the North, just walking up and down the streets.

"I grew up in an area with a dark downtown you didn't visit. This isn't scary. It's totally user-friendly."

Jenks, 28, moved to Richmond's Bellevue neighborhood from Syracuse, N.Y., about a year ago....

"It's just so nice to see so many people out," said Jenks, assistant director of special events for VCU's Massey Cancer Center.

"I didn't expect to see so many people," Brown added. ARTWALK

Based on attendance counts, organizers estimate that about 5,000 people hit the Artwalk each month.

With local universities still in session, the May crowd skewed slightly 20-something. But older adults, middle-aged couples and children crowded the sidewalks as well.

"We're getting more and more families," Newton said. "It's exciting to see kids introduced at an early age to art and culture." .....

The 4-story white building just beyond the National is Franklin Federal before it was clad in black and tan metal.

I know that preservationist had a fit when Thalhimer's was demolished, claiming that the several buildings beneath the ugly aluminum coating were worthy of salvation. Maybe so, but IMO the only worthwile section of Thalhimers was the attractive 1940's addition at the corner of 6th and Broad. Anyway, it's all gone and the entire street from this cameraman's perspective is vastly better now.

On the other hand, the addition of trees, while adding soft greenery curbside also shields some significant architecture from view. I'm all for the median planting, but perhaps thinner, spaced trees along sidewalks would compement building facades.

That thing is just hideous.... WHERE ARE THE TREES??? Did people in Richmond hate trees back in the day or something?

I hate the trees downtown too, but only because I parked under one in front of the Times Dispatch building and 2 hours later, I had thousands of bird droppings on my car. Man! I was bummed-out about that.

I have, most of times, parked in garages to avoid the bird droppings and the occassional air-headed drivers.

I like trees in an urban setting only if the sidewalks are 20 feet wide. When trees get to be too large, they take up sidewalk space and roots cause the sidewalks to buckle (i.e. Fan and Museum Districts).

Archived