Broad Street Revitalization

wrldcoupe4

Douglas Development Completes Purchase of 4 Buildings

Washington developer Douglas Jemal has completed the purchase of four buildings at a key intersection in downtown Richmond, including three properties that the city had targeted for blighted conditions.

Jemal, president of Douglas Development Corp., confirmed today the completion of his purchase of the buildings at the intersection of East Broad and North Second streets. He did not give a sales price.....

"I'm very pleased that it worked, so we didn't have to use public funds," said Rachel Flynn, director of community development. "We always wanted the private sector to do it. City Building Commissioner Arthur Dahlberg told council this week that the work plan aims at restoring the buildings for occupancy by next April. Dahlberg could not be reached today for further details of the plan and Jemal would not elaborate.

Good news. I'd love to see work begin on sprucing up these buildings especially with an anticipated completion date of spring 08.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Douglas Development Completes Purchase of 4 Buildings

Good news. I'd love to see work begin on sprucing up these buildings especially with an anticipated completion date of spring 08.

Agreed, Coupe. This is indeed good news. Jemal is on the move! If I read it correctly, plans for redevelopment of the properties has already been submitted to the City. Is that your interpretation?

Jemal hasn't released much info about his plans for the cluster of buildings he's purchased on Broad around 2nd Street except to say that there will be residential on upper floors after they are restored.

I hope his company does as neat a job as the owners of the old Schwartzchild building at the s/w corner of 2nd and Broad.

Here's today's reprint of the story with a little more information:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....07-27-0081.html

Jemal hasn't released much info about his plans for the cluster of buildings he's purchased on Broad around 2nd Street except to say that there will be residential on upper floors after they are restored.

I hope his company does as neat a job as the owners of the old Schwartzchild building at the s/w corner of 2nd and Broad.

Here's today's reprint of the story with a little more information:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....07-27-0081.html

if they hope to have them done by April they should have already filed for a building permit. I dont remember seeing one listed. Also with all the other construction downtown where is he going to get the work force to do such a fast build... unless he only means certain parts of the buildings will be redone by april... Maybe we might get some of those more affordable apartments we are always asking for finally....

• 2 weeks later...

New restaurant coming to E. Broad Street

Another new restaurant is being planned for East Broad Street in downtown Richmond.

Plans call for Canvas restaurant to open at 306 and 308 E. Broad St., about a half block from the Greater Richmond Convention Center.

The art gallery-themed restaurant would occupy the two buildings on all three floors. A caf

Now, that's good news... finally something big in one of those depressing blocks.

Hey they will put Valentino's out of business!!! Looks like Jemal might have some more competition, he better hurry up.

Oh and has anyone met any of these 5 locals who are running this development company?

Im not sure it will be productive, but I emailed greg at the TD to get some more information if he has it....

Well then again....

from Greg:

from prodigy partnership's press release: The five Managing Partners of Prodigy Partnership are as follows: Jake Crocker, a Partner and Brand Marketing Director with Martin Branding Worldwide, D. Hayden Fisher, a Partner and Attorney with Schaffer & Cabell P.C., Jim Kennedy, Managing Director of Providge Consulting, Patrick McLynn, General Manager and Co-Owner of Metro Grill and Gary Richard, Vice President of Banner Industries. Additional projects being developed by Prodigy Partnership include the development of the historic Lighthouse Diner on Hull Street in the Old Manchester District of downtown Richmond.

Thought that might be helpful!

Apparently they are also hoping to play a role in a revamped Hippodrome. I hope soon we'll hear more concrete plans from Douglas Development. They own large amounts of property nearby. I can't wait for the day when the CNB tower is back to life and we can wander through that amazing arcade.

Apparently they are also hoping to play a role in a revamped Hippodrome. I hope soon we'll hear more concrete plans from Douglas Development. They own large amounts of property nearby. I can't wait for the day when the CNB tower is back to life and we can wander through that amazing arcade.

I can't wait until the CNB turns back on the white lights and each floor is lit at night!

I can't wait until the CNB turns back on the white lights and each floor is lit at night!

Greg mentioned that Jemal knows the market and will redo the property in due time... I didnt press the issue of what 'in-due-time' meant... but I would say if he meant April, we should see something by the end of next year, it is Richmond after all ;)

Look for Jemal to buy up more property downtown in coming months :)

This is very good if that is the case. Heres a brain picker for everyone... anyone know anything about the mother hubbard bakery project? Along Marshall in the vicinity of the dairy condos and 27 and the like...

Archived