Broad Street Revitalization

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the Broad Street clean-up goes on! Ryan Ramsey at RCW says he has seen dunmpsters outside of 200 and 201 East Broad. Meanwhile, read the following story from today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...09-01-0150.html

I think Jemals April deadline is starting to really have some truth to it.

Also, since it is along Broad St, a new Convenience store opened up at the intersection of 4th and Broad called 'World Market'. Having already stopped in, I do believe this store is a HUGE step in the right direction. As it will offer grocery items and many local needs in the convenience categories! So if you work downtown be sure to check this place out, it is clean and new and looks spectacular, not to mention the staff was extremely helpful!

I think Jemals April deadline is starting to really have some truth to it.

Also, since it is along Broad St, a new Convenience store opened up at the intersection of 4th and Broad called 'World Market'. Having already stopped in, I do believe this store is a HUGE step in the right direction. As it will offer grocery items and many local needs in the convenience categories! So if you work downtown be sure to check this place out, it is clean and new and looks spectacular, not to mention the staff was extremely helpful!

I noticed work was going on there when I was visiting a month ago. It's in the old art deco W. T. Grant store which has a curved fascade on the corner of 4th and Broad. I hope they have decent signage outside.

How about some pix, journi?

I noticed work was going on there when I was visiting a month ago. It's in the old art deco W. T. Grant store which has a curved fascade on the corner of 4th and Broad. I hope they have decent signage outside.

How about some pix, journi?

I will see what I can do. I am visiting the Jackson Ward revitalization section tonight for a home-viewing...

Right next to it I do believe...

Are you sure it is not the building I described on the south/west corner of 4th and Broad? It was being renovated when I was there.

Broadway is on the north side of Broad just west of the Convention Center and next door to Prodigy Ptnrs' planned CANVAS Restaurant.

The Broadway started its life as a Sears Roebuck store.

Are you sure it is not the building I described on the south/west corner of 4th and Broad? It was being renovated when I was there.

Broadway is on the north side of Broad just west of the Convention Center and next door to Prodigy Ptnrs' planned CANVAS Restaurant.

The Broadway started its life as a Sears Roebuck store.

To be honest all of those buildings are either being renovated or have recently been renovated.

To be honest all of those buildings are either being renovated or have recently been renovated.

Well, on which side of Broad is the World Market you described -- north or south side of Broad? Your original post said the intersection of 4th and Broad and there is no such intersection on the north side.

I noticed a convenience store opened recently in the space next to the Foot Locker (left of it if facing the building) which is in the Broadway. I think it was in the Broadway.

That would be the one. So the north side to answer your question burt.

OK. But next time you are in that immediate area, check out the location I mentioned and let us know if there is any activity going on at that site as well. I'm sure something was going on there.

Here's the revival of an idea I posted a long time ago. It didn't get far then, and it's unlikely to spark any interest this time around, either. But it's a fanciful dream that I wish could have been suggested at the Charette:

Research, restore and mount on buildings west from 4th to Belvidere on Broad reproductions of the wonderful neon and electric signs that used to brighten Richmond's "Great White Way" prior to 1950. It could be an outdoor museum of electric signs, such as the still working animated Sauer Company chef pouring vanilla and many others including a re-lit Coca Cola, the ticker Times-Square like news strip that once wrapped around the corner of 6th and Broad, Tantilla Ballroom, Wakefield Grille and even rooftop signage from hotels and theatre marquees.

Imagine how they would light up the corridor that is finding new life! :good:

Here's the revival of an idea I posted a long time ago. It didn't get far then, and it's unlikely to spark any interest this time around, either. But it's a fanciful dream that I wish could have been suggested at the Charette:

Research, restore and mount on buildings west from 4th to Belvidere on Broad reproductions of the wonderful neon and electric signs that used to brighten Richmond's "Great White Way" prior to 1950. It could be an outdoor museum of electric signs, such as the still working animated Sauer Company chef pouring vanilla and many others including a re-lit Coca Cola, the ticker Times-Square like news strip that once wrapped around the corner of 6th and Broad, Tantilla Ballroom, Wakefield Grille and even rooftop signage from hotels and theatre marquees.

Imagine how they would light up the corridor that is finding new life! :good:

The Broadway building is following that ethic with the Sideways Broadway sign and the now World Market sign. As far as that building on the corner you speak of, I cant see anything directly going on with it, but it could be lost in the bus lane repaving they are doing right now. The convenience store is a hit I am hearing, and heres' hoping it sticks around! Like I have said in a few other threads today, Ill check em out and get some pictures when I am not driving all over the country!

Definitely some interior gutting going on in 2 buildings at 2nd and Broad.

Ive noticed the same. If people are interested, I would suggest you check out the demo-work on Miller and Rhoads... they are leaving the lights on at night and you can see in. WHAT A HUGE SPACE! Can anyone confirm demo work for CANVAS yet?

Archived