Broad Street Revitalization

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of the mouths of babes: "Dad, this place is scary."

That's what my 12 year old daughter told me today as we were driving west on Broad Street after sightseeing the city hall showdown, and had stopped at the light at 2nd and Broad. There was a snaggle-toothed old black woman standing at the bus stop, eating a piece of chicken and screaming to the person standing beside her. I could understand nothing with the exception of cursing. Just as the light turned green, I observed her throw her trash to the ground, approximately 3 feet from a trash can.

The busses need to move over to Main, Cary, Marshall and Leigh Streets IMO.

Out of the mouths of babes: "Dad, this place is scary."

That's what my 12 year old daughter told me today as we were driving west on Broad Street after sightseeing the city hall showdown, and had stopped at the light at 2nd and Broad. There was a snaggle-toothed old black woman standing at the bus stop, eating a piece of chicken and screaming to the person standing beside her. I could understand nothing with the exception of cursing. Just as the light turned green, I observed her throw her trash to the ground, approximately 3 feet from a trash can.

The busses need to move over to Main, Cary, Marshall and Leigh Streets IMO.

Ahh yes the 4-5 block mini-ghetto. Bars on all the doors and windows, people standing/wandering around (waiting for the buses I suppose), abandoned or neglected buildings... It's starting to see it's last days though. The Broad St. ghetto used to be much bigger than it is now. It's under attack from all sides now with the National, the Federal Courthouse, a new hotel, and the Arts Center to the east and VCU and the privately owned restaurants and art galleries opening to the west. It's even being attacked from within by Jemal's development group refurbishing some of the buildings. Not sure what the best way to deal with the bus stops is to be honest. I guess splitting them up would clear up the sidewalks more for pedestrians and for businesses who don't want people loitering in front of their places all day.

Well we DO need mass transit in the city and people DO need to wait for it if it's buses or trolleys. How do other cities handle bus/trolley stops? People have always waited for the buses and trolleys on Broad St. What's the difference today? The predominance of scary-looking black folk?

Well we DO need mass transit in the city and people DO need to wait for it if it's buses or trolleys. How do other cities handle bus/trolley stops? People have always waited for the buses and trolleys on Broad St. What's the difference today? The predominance of scary-looking black folk?

In San Francisco not every bus stop is for every bus. That way there is no large concentration of people in front of one stop. A stop on one corner would be for one bus and a stop on the next corner was for a different bus. It isn't the easiest thing in the world for someone from out of town, but it only took me a little while to figure it all out. The busses (routes) for a particular stop were on a list printed on the back of the signs. Maybe if GRTC did that, it would alleviate the masses that concentrate in one particular stop. It would also keep the busses from having to stop at every single stop especially since people waiting for a bus don't know how to wave a bus on when they realize it isn't their bus.

In San Francisco not every bus stop is for every bus. That way there is no large concentration of people in front of one stop. A stop on one corner would be for one bus and a stop on the next corner was for a different bus. It isn't the easiest thing in the world for someone from out of town, but it only took me a little while to figure it all out. The busses (routes) for a particular stop were on a list printed on the back of the signs. Maybe if GRTC did that, it would alleviate the masses that concentrate in one particular stop. It would also keep the busses from having to stop at every single stop especially since people waiting for a bus don't know how to wave a bus on when they realize it isn't their bus.

They tried posting signs, and covering the bus stops. but the people would tear them down.

Actually the most effective way to get rid of a nuisance is to call the police, especially when someone is sitting there screaming obsenities. My favorite example is a bum that used to reside daily in the alcove of the Richmond Center Stages box office. I called the police on her 4 or 5 times in a year. But in the end she would always come back. That is until the police came and told her to clear off so construction could begin. Needless to say she found a new alcove, because when she left guys came in and put up the construction fencing, ruining her habit.... which she tried to go back to within a few days. Given that, Miller and Rhoads now has a security guard at night to discourage such behavior.

When remodels happen around this section of Broad, those who used to be there and were transients clear off due to people being around (the whole reason they are there is because they are seen and heard from less). This is a slow process, but give it time.

Oh and if a bum screams obsenities, please dont stare, actually call the cops and get them in trouble. You only make a difference if you do something.

Bum's such an old fashioned term. I picture them with sticks with polka dotted bundles, lots of patches int heir clothes, and fingertipless gloves. I wonder why they want to go where they can be highly visible? I do find it creepy that when I'm downtown, eyes are everywhere. One day when I was driving by 2nd and Byrd, there was a face in the bushes above the highway! Now that's hidden.

Bum's such an old fashioned term. I picture them with sticks with polka dotted bundles, lots of patches int heir clothes, and fingertipless gloves. I wonder why they want to go where they can be highly visible? I do find it creepy that when I'm downtown, eyes are everywhere. One day when I was driving by 2nd and Byrd, there was a face in the bushes above the highway! Now that's hidden.

theres a tent city in the locale. So are we to start calling them home-challenged?

They tried posting signs, and covering the bus stops. but the people would tear them down.

Actually the most effective way to get rid of a nuisance is to call the police, especially when someone is sitting there screaming obsenities. My favorite example is a bum that used to reside daily in the alcove of the Richmond Center Stages box office. I called the police on her 4 or 5 times in a year. But in the end she would always come back. That is until the police came and told her to clear off so construction could begin. Needless to say she found a new alcove, because when she left guys came in and put up the construction fencing, ruining her habit.... which she tried to go back to within a few days. Given that, Miller and Rhoads now has a security guard at night to discourage such behavior.

When remodels happen around this section of Broad, those who used to be there and were transients clear off due to people being around (the whole reason they are there is because they are seen and heard from less). This is a slow process, but give it time.

Oh and if a bum screams obsenities, please dont stare, actually call the cops and get them in trouble. You only make a difference if you do something.

I remember a woman at the intersection of 5th and Grace that would always be yelling something at me.. I never paid her any attention though. I think she would yell "What are you looking at?" and I never had look over at her.. .LOL

Hahaha once I was at the intersection of 5th and Broad while taking pictures, and this lady came up to me asking me what I was doing... I said just taking architectural photos and she started rambling about how she used to live in this apartment and her landlord put cameras everywhere... bathroom, her bedroom, toilet... and so she didn't really like cameras that much. Sooooo random.

Hahaha once I was at the intersection of 5th and Broad while taking pictures, and this lady came up to me asking me what I was doing... I said just taking architectural photos and she started rambling about how she used to live in this apartment and her landlord put cameras everywhere... bathroom, her bedroom, toilet... and so she didn't really like cameras that much. Sooooo random.

Sounds like my typical day...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This story from today's inRich talks about a "mini boom" on Broad Street, but confines itself pretty much to the new Fed Court House. It's surprising to learn that it does not yet have an official name and won't 'til move-in day:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....10-29-0173.html

I thought that George Allen had introduced legislation early on in the planning stages that would name the building after civil rights lawyer and pioneer Spottswood Robinson III and Robert Mehridge Jr.

I thought that George Allen had introduced legislation early on in the planning stages that would name the building after civil rights lawyer and pioneer Spottswood Robinson III and Robert Mehridge Jr.

Me, too, DC. But as the story says, that is not officially definite.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....10-29-0173.html

I've been having "linking" problems of late. Maybe it will work this time.

I've been having "linking" problems of late. Maybe it will work this time.

You are doing it correctly. The problem is that when a link is put in a quotation box, it gets copied exactly as shown on screen. Since the inRich links are so long, they get messed up. One way around this is to name the link when you put it in so the actual URL doesn't show up. Right after you copy and paste the link, you should be prompted to enter a name for it. So it looks like this:

Broad St mini boom article

I could have sworn I took a picture of the name!

You are doing it correctly. The problem is that when a link is put in a quotation box, it gets copied exactly as shown on screen. Since the inRich links are so long, they get messed up. One way around this is to name the link when you put it in so the actual URL doesn't show up. Right after you copy and paste the link, you should be prompted to enter a name for it. So it looks like this:

Broad St mini boom article

Thanks, CommRE. I'll try, but the old brain is slow to grasp modern technology. :) Some people highlight articles simply by using the word "here" -- and that is totally beyond me. I notice that my reference to the mini boom in the quotation box is bringing up today's inRich story about vultures at Dutch Gap.

Readers' comments about the mini boom story are interesting. One recent comment asks why not include descriptions of more development along Broad? The commentator mentions CANVAS, a proposed restaurant on the north side of Broad just west of the Convention Center, but as of two weeks ago, the retail establishments were still in operation at the site and there was no sign of construction activity. He also mentions a proposed club which he believes is called Reflections. There is a window notice of a"coming soon" lounge on south side of Broad between Foushee and Adams which will (if ever opened) call itself RENDEZVOUS. Rumor is it will be fashioned after a club here in NYCity called BED; but so far, nada at that location. He is correct in pointing out the gutting at katty-cornered buildings on Broad and 2nd, but there is a third structure just west of 2nd on north side of Broad also getting the "gut" treatment.

Transformation is taking place in the Broad Street corridor from Belvidere to 14th Streets. Maybe some attention now can be directed to the forlorn character of Grace between Jefferson and 5th, including reclamation of the strip across Grace from the M&R Hilton Garden Inn.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, CommRE. I'll try, but the old brain is slow to grasp modern technology. :) Some people highlight articles simply by using the word "here" -- and that is totally beyond me. I notice that my reference to the mini boom in the quotation box is bringing up today's inRich story about vultures at Dutch Gap.

Readers' comments about the mini boom story are interesting. One recent comment asks why not include descriptions of more development along Broad? The commentator mentions CANVAS, a proposed restaurant on the north side of Broad just west of the Convention Center, but as of two weeks ago, the retail establishments were still in operation at the site and there was no sign of construction activity. He also mentions a proposed club which he believes is called Reflections. There is a window notice of a"coming soon" lounge on south side of Broad between Foushee and Adams which will (if ever opened) call itself RENDEZVOUS. Rumor is it will be fashioned after a club here in NYCity called BED; but so far, nada at that location. He is correct in pointing out the gutting at katty-cornered buildings on Broad and 2nd, but there is a third structure just west of 2nd on north side of Broad also getting the "gut" treatment.

Transformation is taking place in the Broad Street corridor from Belvidere to 14th Streets. Maybe some attention now can be directed to the forlorn character of Grace between Jefferson and 5th, including reclamation of the strip across Grace from the M&R Hilton Garden Inn.

Burt there is a rumor about that block on grace you mentioned, Ill follow up and let you know more specifics...

And yes, I am back!

Archived