Broad Street Revitalization

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, where the hell have you been, journi? I've missed you.

Fill us in when you can about the block in question, please.

burt -

I think this was the block to have a possible residential component on top of the parking garage and a 12-story hotel in the surface lot facing Grace St. I had some inside sources tell me this last year.

Unless journi knows something more recent from last year. (or is this a different block journi is commenting on.)

The "official" vision (Broad Street CDA vision) for the block bound by Grace, 6th, 7th, and Franklin was just a new parking deck to complement the very classy parking deck already on the block... though I would MUCH rather see commercial uses including mid-highrise tower(s) atop any new parking.

Perhaps Journi was referring to the block of Grace opposite of Miller and Rhoads?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Piggy-backing on that story, an editorial:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/opinion.apx....05-20-0004.html

A story that began on the front page and continued inside detailed the revival along East Broad and adjacent downtown blocks. From Belvidere almost to I-95, the neighborhood projects a more pleasing face than in recent years. Restaurants, boutiques, offices, and performance spaces occupy buildings boarded up when previous businesses closed or fled. The stretch has transformed itself into a destination.

For many years Richmond and similar cities sought to recreate the downtowns of lore -- i.e., districts with vast department stores (with tea rooms and fashion shows), speciality shops, stores famous for selling this or that, nightclubs with torch singers, stylish dancing and jazz, and movie palaces screening epics. Those with urban sensibilities longed to see again streets clogged with shoppers, as trolleys moved on tracks and were boarded by men wearing hats. Too bad. The downtowns captured in vintage photographs are not coming back -- which is one reason the Sixth Street Marketplace flopped.

The future depends on re-invention. East Broad shows one way, as entrepreneurs are discovering, and generating, opportunities. The market works. The public sector plays a significant role, too. Virginia Commonwealth University contributes hugely to the positive changes radiating from its Monroe Park campus. Other helpful government projects include the Library of Virginia and the new federal courthouse. Sunday's Broad App

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen it yet, but DowntownDave tells me that the aluminum cladding is being removed on the building at 7th and Broad (across 7th from the National). It has housed the offices for the Fed Courthouse construction team for the past few years... with courthouse construction wrapping up perhaps a renovation is underway?

I haven't seen it yet, but DowntownDave tells me that the aluminum cladding is being removed on the building at 7th and Broad (across 7th from the National). It has housed the offices for the Fed Courthouse construction team for the past few years... with courthouse construction wrapping up perhaps a renovation is underway?

You would be correct in this. It would appear the inside is being gutted as well judging by the construction waste volume they have been generating the past few weeks. Might have another good space here pretty soon for a swank lunch restuarant.

You would be correct in this. It would appear the inside is being gutted as well judging by the construction waste volume they have been generating the past few weeks. Might have another good space here pretty soon for a swank lunch restuarant.

What is that building going to look like without the aluminum skin?

Bet a quarter it won't be a restaurant. GIBSON's across 7th street in the National will be about as much upscale restaurant space as the area can handle for the forseeable future.

Shak ought to have some answers about the building at n/w corner of 7th and Broad. He worked there.

What's happening on the ground floor of Berry Burk?

What is that building going to look like without the aluminum skin?

Bet a quarter it won't be a restaurant. GIBSON's across 7th street in the National will be about as much upscale restaurant space as the area can handle for the forseeable future.

Shak ought to have some answers about the building at n/w corner of 7th and Broad. He worked there.

What's happening on the ground floor of Berry Burk?

You are right... I worked there. I have not been in that building for over a year. Plans to renovate that building was tossed around before ther Courthouse construction staff was to occupy it.

Though it was to my understanding that the 3rd floor occupant (Truland Systems) is suppose to stay during renovation. I am not sure if that is true today.

You are right... I worked there. I have not been in that building for over a year. Plans to renovate that building was tossed around before ther Courthouse construction staff was to occupy it.

Though it was to my understanding that the 3rd floor occupant (Truland Systems) is suppose to stay during renovation. I am not sure if that is true today.

Burt, they took down the lease this space sign on the commercial portion of Berry Bury. Or it fell down, I am not sure which. That is all the activity I have seen thus far.

I've got to get a pic of that!

Id like to think now that the un-cladding has commenced, a full blown exterior/interior renovation is soon expected. Though it's still not the most attractive building..it looks a helluva lot better without that aluminum. Renovations are coming..right?

Maybe they'll renovate it to look like one of VCU's new buildings.... which isn't a bad thing.

This is terrific news. That unattractive building at n/w corner of 7th and Broad is getting a new look that eventually will encourage pedestrian traffic in the area. Its proximity to the new Fed CH is ideal for the VCU/UR collaboration.

But 4,200 square feet is not a lot of space in a structure that must encompass at least 50,000 s/f. With smart planning, there soon may be major expansion by the two universities at 7th and Broad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REMEMBER this weekend is First Friday Art Walk in the Broad Street Gallery District. Let's hope the weather cooperates.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also: Theatre IV/Barksdale has taken note of renewed activity along the Gallery corridor and will risk opening a major production of GUYS AND DOLLS at the Company's beautiful old Empire Theatre, 212 West Broad Street. It will run June thru August, with valet parking available. Here's a way to support your local theatre, enliven Broad Street and enjoy a fun-filled, elaborate musical comedy.

Archived