Broad Street Revitalization

wrldcoupe4

Browsing around on aol, I found a listing of homes for sale. There is a picture of two building at the s/e corner of Broad and 1st Streets. The two look really neat as if recent renovation has been done on them. A 3 bedroom/2.5 bath 2,749 s/f unit with a 35' high skylight atrium is available at #105 E. Broad for $535k. Wonder if Douglas Jemal owns them?

Also, I've heard lately that RENDEZVOUS, one block west between TARRANTS and BISTRO 27, is very much alive and may open this summer. It's described as a luxurious restaurant/lounge/club like one might find in South Beach. If anyone has further info, please post.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You love that heat huh source? Thanks for showing us your latest pics. It's way too hot out there for me to even set foot outside. I had chosen this week for vacation because it wouldn't be so hot... well nature had other plans. I'll probably come back out later this week.

Well, it ain't pretty but it's still an improvement IMO. Thanks for posting these Source. I like how you can see where the letters went. They'll be going for historic tax credits on this project...

I wonder if they'll paint the facade? Would a good powerwashing do the trick?

You love that heat huh source? Thanks for showing us your latest pics. It's way too hot out there for me to even set foot outside. I had chosen this week for vacation because it wouldn't be so hot... well nature had other plans. I'll probably come back out later this week.

Not really! I was only out for 45 minutes and called it quits. It was a scorcher Sunday afternoon.

source, when did you take these photos? Has the cladding been removed already?

Took these on Sunday 6/8. The cladding was gone on the whole building aside from that on the side next to the hotel. I dont think anyone could fit in there to remove that.

Here is a reminder of what it looked like with the aluminum cladding (in the background). Looks much better now if you ask me.

Well, it ain't pretty but it's still an improvement IMO. Thanks for posting these Source. I like how you can see where the letters went. They'll be going for historic tax credits on this project...

I wonder if they'll paint the facade? Would a good powerwashing do the trick?

There were a lot of holes in the sandstone. They can fill these, im sure. There is a lot of damage and sloppy fill brick / cinder block work around the storefront windows especially at the corners. Like how they just broke off the flagpole for the aluminum facade?

• 2 months later...

PeninsulaKiddo posted this photo on the Virginia Beach thread of The Champs Elysees looking toward (I think) Place Concorde in Paris.

Richmond's Broad Street will NEVER be this alluring, but with all the new development going on it is beginning to take on a sort of grandeur.

http://www.wt-group.com/stpics/Paris/Champs_Elysees_2.jpg

Scroll up to the June 10th pictures on this site to see what I mean:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/State-Of...=80#entry991125

Raleigh's brand new convention center is now open and ready for business. In square footage, I believe it is about the same size as Richmond's. But it has a feature that, if copied here, would brighten up Broad Street (I've suggested it to the Center Stage people as a possibility for the back of the stage house facing Broad.)

I hope this website works, and if it does, hang around for a minute or two to watch the changing colors:

http://www.gogoraleigh.com/2008/04/09/shimmer-wall-awakes/

The site works!!! :yahoo: (I frequently type in or omit something, like in this instance reversing /09 and /04, but after an adjustment, it works.)

It's a dazzler, don't you agree?

V For The Home has opened on Broad next to Quirk. For those of you who don't know, this is the second V location. The first is in the ritzy Avenues area. This store carries high end, eclectic home furnishings and accessories. Do a little window shopping and you will have to remind yourself you are on Broad Street!

Raleigh's brand new convention center is now open and ready for business. In square footage, I believe it is about the same size as Richmond's. But it has a feature that, if copied here, would brighten up Broad Street (I've suggested it to the Center Stage people as a possibility for the back of the stage house facing Broad.)

I hope this website works, and if it does, hang around for a minute or two to watch the changing colors:

http://www.gogoraleigh.com/2008/04/09/shimmer-wall-awakes/

The site works!!! :yahoo: (I frequently type in or omit something, like in this instance reversing /09 and /04, but after an adjustment, it works.)

It's a dazzler, don't you agree?

Philip Morris did that until they decided dark was better. :angry:

Here's MashUp's picture story about First Friday inLight Celebration.

This MashUp will probably be replaced tomorrow by a new edition, so take a peek today.

From Monday's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...shup/focus.html

By the way, one of the speakers and the man who devised the Jackson Ward House in lights on the vacant lot is Peter Culley. He is with the Mather Architectural Office from London that designed the Virginia Museum addition presently nearing completion.

Pasted from a V For The Home e-mail:

We are officially open at 315 W. Broad, right between Quirk and 1708. Come see us and have lunch at one of the fun Broad St. restaurants. (go to vforthehome.com for suggestions)

Thanks to everyone who ventured out for First Fridays!

• 2 months later...

I went this morning but didn't take notes... I'll try to mention stuff from memory later.

I placed the very brief breaking story in the Richmond Economy thread since it deals with more than Broad Street. The R-TD will follow up with a more complete story tomorrow.

• 3 months later...

The Richmond Marriott on Broad between 5th and 6th Streets is undergoing rejuvenation.

With the recent openings of The Hilton Garden Inn, The Federal Court House, the National and final work underway at Richmond Center Stage, downtown is looking less moribund.

Perhaps some Federal Stimulus funding can jump start the proposed state office building on site of the former Murphy's Hotel.

The present dining area known as BLUE FIRE is hardly what one would call upscale, but the announcement states that the new restaurant/sportsbar replacing it will be even more casual. It will, however, provide alfresco dining for about 40 to 50 people on Broad Street.

From today's R-TD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-220006/223941/

Archived