Broad Street Revitalization

wrldcoupe4

515539517_056db159b8_b.jpg

Is this the project?

Thats the one there is also a sign about the bakery next to it, not much perhaps a small specialty ?? Should be nice. They removed most of the building and kept the face brickwork. It ws really needed.

On another note, whats with the police this past Friday night. Broad was busy where we are and several of us had valet parking going on. Our wedding client ended up in the middle of our lead valet and the police because they did not want her to get out of her car " in the passenger loading zone" in front of our building. They went as far as to tell our valet if he saw another car stop in front of our building he would remove him from the property!

We can rarely get the police to ticket or tow cars after 6 pm much less any other co operation. We Followed the rules to get the passenger in front and had to pay for the sign changes ourselves. But we peaple park there we are told that it wouldn't look good to the county folk if they towed or ticketed cars.

Ok thats my rant for the DT revitalization thread, Thought we were to all work together to improve the area?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats the one there is also a sign about the bakery next to it, not much perhaps a small specialty ?? Should be nice. They removed most of the building and kept the face brickwork. It ws really needed.

On another note, whats with the police this past Friday night. Broad was busy where we are and several of us had valet parking going on. Our wedding client ended up in the middle of our lead valet and the police because they did not want her to get out of her car " in the passenger loading zone" in front of our building. They went as far as to tell our valet if he saw another car stop in front of our building he would remove him from the property!

We can rarely get the police to ticket or tow cars after 6 pm much less any other co operation. We Followed the rules to get the passenger in front and had to pay for the sign changes ourselves. But we peaple park there we are told that it wouldn't look good to the county folk if they towed or ticketed cars.

Ok thats my rant for the DT revitalization thread, Thought we were to all work together to improve the area?

This wasnt during First Fridays on Broad was it? If so... that would explain a lot...

WB Burt. I would, but people weren't my size back in the 50s. You know, I like the display idea, but those storefronts themselves are already from those days. It goes hand in hand.

WB Burt. I would, but people weren't my size back in the 50s. You know, I like the display idea, but those storefronts themselves are already from those days. It goes hand in hand.

Broad Street is lucky to have Tom Robinson.

I noticed that Broad Street from Foushee to 4th looked better than it did 4 months ago. It's still pretty tacky but coming along.

If I am correct, the buildings that are going to become CANVAS Restaurant (306 & 308 E. Broad) are still occupied. I admire those guys but can't help but worry that a large restaurant in that location may be very risky. Will keep my fingers crossed and hope for success. And on my next trip, I'll certainly be a customer.

That is most certainly the one... i think it used to be a bakery...

Thanks for the PIC!!

And nice name....

The residential structure directly across the street from Marshall Street Cafe looks sort of like the middle portion of the Marshall Street Condos pictured above, but the houses to which I refer are on the n/e corner of Adams and Marshall and are in terrible condition, though our waiter said they are being restored.

The residential structure directly across the street from Marshall Street Cafe looks sort of like the middle portion of the Marshall Street Condos pictured above, but the houses to which I refer are on the n/e corner of Adams and Marshall and are in terrible condition, though our waiter said they are being restored.

That they are, I almost snapped a picture of them last night, but decided not to. I did get quite a few along this section though. I also snapped some distance shots of the CANVAS locations. Burt, it should actually do pretty well in this location, since it is right in the heart of First Fridays, the ARTWALK, and around the burgeoning restuarant district of Comfort, 27, and Popkin. Oh and there are still about 50-100 more condo units going up less than a block away - plus all of Jemal's properties which seem to be tracking for an opening sooner rather than later. I am thinking this area is the next Shockoe Bottom real quick. This time next year the place will be completely different.

Developers are figuring out there is a critical need in this area with very cheap property to accomodate this need.

That they are, I almost snapped a picture of them last night, but decided not to. I did get quite a few along this section though. I also snapped some distance shots of the CANVAS locations. Burt, it should actually do pretty well in this location, since it is right in the heart of First Fridays, the ARTWALK, and around the burgeoning restuarant district of Comfort, 27, and Popkin. Oh and there are still about 50-100 more condo units going up less than a block away - plus all of Jemal's properties which seem to be tracking for an opening sooner rather than later. I am thinking this area is the next Shockoe Bottom real quick. This time next year the place will be completely different.

Developers are figuring out there is a critical need in this area with very cheap property to accomodate this need.

CANVAS will be in the two buildings on Broad EAST of 3rd Street and next door to the Convention Center. So I wouldn't say they are in the Friday Artwalk district which is primarily west of 1st Street. However, they ARE in Jemal's territory, and that's hopeful.

CANVAS will be in the two buildings on Broad EAST of 3rd Street and next door to the Convention Center. So I wouldn't say they are in the Friday Artwalk district which is primarily west of 1st Street. However, they ARE in Jemal's territory, and that's hopeful.

Ah I missed which direction they were in. Well, then they are in my neighborhood and they should just be fine there.

Details on CANVAS, the new restaurant/gallery/cafe/meeting place near the convention center at 306 and 308 E Broad:

According to Jake Crocker, Prodigy Partnership LLC:

From http://richmondva.wordpress.com/2007/03/21...wn/#comment-599

i am trying to find their website, so i posted a comment on that thread to see what Jake says about it.

This wasnt during First Fridays on Broad was it? If so... that would explain a lot...

Yes it was during first friday! It really was bad. The client was so upset about the treatment of her guests from out of town ( who were harshly told to move it or get arrested) Is filing a complaint with the police dept. as well as her attorneys are "supposedly" meeting with the city officials.

While is is business, our valet service of over 7 years as stated that they will evaluate each booking dependant on the monthly activities from this point on.

It sure makes it hard for us to conduct proper business with things like these happening and pretty much rouge(sp) enforcment officials.

Jon, has there ever been discussion of building parking decks on Grace Street directly behind Renaissance as well as the Twenty Seven block? Seems to me the owners of those lots could make a helluva lot more revenue from ground floor retail and upper level parking than they're pulling in from the present ugly lots. Maybe even high rise apartments above decks.

Who owns those properties?

I detest lots with no attendants on duty; never can figure out how to pay.

Is the Sevilla at Jefferson and Grace still welfare housing? I noticed that all their retail space appeared to be empty.

Jon, has there ever been discussion of building parking decks on Grace Street directly behind Renaissance as well as the Twenty Seven block? Seems to me the owners of those lots could make a helluva lot more revenue from ground floor retail and upper level parking than they're pulling in from the present ugly lots. Maybe even high rise apartments above decks.

Is the Sevilla at Jefferson and Grace still welfare housing? I noticed that all their retail space appeared to be empty.

What I hate more are the 'Honor Pay' lots, which if someone pays before you, can park in their spot and get away with it. Or the tow truck guy could just tow you and say the guy before you paid, when in fact you did pay. Since no one is monitoring this, no one cares, its all about the cheap money.

They need to reserve enough space for something big down there mixed with parking.

Yes it is some type of welfare something there. Tiffanys feed the homeless they are on the ground floor of that building.

We investigated the parking idea last year and ran into a few hitches that were never resolved. some fact were that there are 12 owners as some of the plots are from long ago when houses or businesses stood on the lots. 4 are owned by the city. the city contracts standard parking to service the entire lot. ( we have been there for 7 years, striped 6 years ago. that is the extend of upkeep that has been completed. My boss through the freedom of info found out that the City received aprox 1200$ a month from standard. That was 05, I suppose the city sends it to the owners but I am not sure.

To go to a deck would require the city to do it as costs to the individual owners would not be good, ( Or so the consultant we hired said) however there is no person in charge of parking lots any longer after the city made cutbacks?

The city is still on fences for some reason. At the broad street corridor meeting it has been brought up several times but to no avail. Everyone agrees theres a problem

My frustration comes to play of course when we have reserved spots through the month that certainly total more than what the city gets monthly and I see what the lot looks like on a daily basis. Revenue wise I know of 32 spots monthly (day part) at 80$, plus individual private slots, don't know the number,Plus the Richmond Police Department has the first three rows from Jefferson st to Adams ( Approx 36) plus what we pay to reserve spots. 27 keeps 8 on hold behind their place for parking and that lot has changed management and is no longer a honor box lot. ( reserved only )

I see in other parts of downtown that the city has renovated the suface parking from time to time with green spaces and parking, even that would be an improvement versus the dingy lots we have.

:rolleyes:

3 Month Road Construction Project Announced For Broad Street

excerpts:

The City of Richmond's Department of Public Works in cooperation with the GRTC Transit System will begin a major road improvement project for Broad Street on Wednesday, Aug. 22. Crews will replace bus lane (curbside lane) pavement and realign curbing from 2nd to 14th streets in both directions.

This project is necessary because heavy bus traffic in the outside lanes has caused severe damage to the asphalt structure....

This project will improve the ride, safety and appearance of the Broad Street corridor and also compliment the adjoining streetscape improvements.

Here's hoping the repaving project isn't only the bus lanes. All of Broad Street is in dire need of help, except for the recently re-done sections between 5th and 7th and at Belvidere. And the median needs planting and widening in all the areas where it has not been done. If light rail or trolleys ever get approved, they can run on tracks at both sides of the median with loading and unloading from the left side of the cars at stops spaced every 3 blocks for trolleys and/or every half/mile for light rail. My 2 cents! :o

Both yours and Burts are great Ideas !!!

Unfortunately these lanes are the worst and they would have to rip out the cobbling too and redo it as well, with a substructure that would be expensive, and it would take longer than the 90 day window than they have... now if they had started this project when VCU let out, they might have had time... but of course they didnt ;)

Archived