Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

Unfortunately saw a motorbike (one of the types that rides in big groups around town without any mufflers and doing wheelies) rider try to use the Streetcar lane today to pass someone. His wheel got stuck in the track and he wiped out. Fortunately he was wearing a helmet and EMS was there within 5 mins, but scary to watch in person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/28/2021 at 7:47 PM, DH17 said:

Unfortunately saw a motorbike (one of the types that rides in big groups around town without any mufflers and doing wheelies) rider try to use the Streetcar lane today to pass someone. His wheel got stuck in the track and he wiped out. Fortunately he was wearing a helmet and EMS was there within 5 mins, but scary to watch in person.

Glad he wasn't hurt but unfortunately I predict that these incidents will become more frequent until people actually learn that the lanes are for streetcars and streetcars only. 

I was in LA this past week and rode their Metro system quite a bit (although unrelated... never again in the time of Corona, it was one of the most disgusting experiences I have ever had on a transit system, and I genuinely felt unsafe...and that's saying something coming from me), including the Gold Line to Pasadena, which has several portions where it is street-running and crosses streets at grade without crossing gates. Looking out the window it was a scary experience when we were crossing streets, and several times I heard the operator blast the horn, and at one point we stopped through the intersection completely as a group of pedestrians ran out in front of the train. At one point, the train operates on what looks like a two lane road (with the tracks in between each lane) with residential homes on either side with driveways that are dangerously close to the street. I can only imagine what types of incidents occur. 

Fortunately I would imagine that the top speed of the streetcar is significantly less than that of a LRV. 

13 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Glad he wasn't hurt but unfortunately I predict that these incidents will become more frequent until people actually learn that the lanes are for streetcars and streetcars only. 

I was in LA this past week and rode their Metro system quite a bit (although unrelated... never again in the time of Corona, it was one of the most disgusting experiences I have ever had on a transit system, and I genuinely felt unsafe...and that's saying something coming from me), including the Gold Line to Pasadena, which has several portions where it is street-running and crosses streets at grade without crossing gates. Looking out the window it was a scary experience when we were crossing streets, and several times I heard the operator blast the horn, and at one point we stopped through the intersection completely as a group of pedestrians ran out in front of the train. At one point, the train operates on what looks like a two lane road (with the tracks in between each lane) with residential homes on either side with driveways that are dangerously close to the street. I can only imagine what types of incidents occur. 

Fortunately I would imagine that the top speed of the streetcar is significantly less than that of a LRV. 

The Streetcars on LA's Gold line have maximum top speeds of 65mph and 77mph, so they can go as fast as a LRV.  Light Rail is basically Trams operated as a traditional rail line.  LA may have top speeds governed on their trains, or may have a much lower speed limit imposed on their line (Governed means they do something to the trains to keep them from going fast where as a speed limit would require their drivers to abide by it). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Spartan said:

There is a lot of demand to get from CTC to CPCC, Presby and Mercy. I'm not sure if BofA still has operations in Gateway, but there used to be a lot of traffic on the Gold Rush between there and the Square. I also think having a rail connection to the edge of Plaza Midwood will attract a few riders. Personally, I will take the train to Sunnyside and walk the 10 mins or whatever into PM if I'm heading that way.

There are already a lot of high-frequency bus routes connecting CTC with CPCC (9, 17, 27) and Plaza Central (9, 17), plus connecting the Square with Gateway (1, 7, 8, 34).  Streetcar will have equal or worse frequency than many of these bus routes, but whatever gets more people to take transit.

2 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I don't know if it was intentional, but I have long felt that the Phase 2 termination of the Gold Line at Sunnyside/Hawthorne is smart from a development standpoint.  It's going to be (and perhaps already is) encouraging development close to that station.   According to Google maps, it's an 8-minute walk from the Sunnyside/Hawthorne Gold Line stop to Pecan/Central in the heart of Plaza-Midwood.  That's nothing.   That's how long my walk is to the grocery store.  When the Central Square redevelopment is completed, it's going to feel like that's where Plaza-Midwood begins, and that will be maybe just a three or four-minute walk from that stop.  It already looks like a "Five Points"-type area is developing at the intersection of 10th, Central and Louise.  The Gold Line stop might help incentivize more development between there and Central Square, fusing together the Belmont and Plaza-Midwood business districts into one long stretch of activity.  And the Sunnyside/Hawthorne stop will be in the very heart of that.

20210407_110719.jpg

I agree, having the stop there should help fill in that generally underdeveloped space between the Central Coffee intersection and the new Central Square and the geographical center of the neighborhood will shift from Central/Pecan to Central/Hawthorn.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

There is definitely some growth potential at Hawthorne/Sunnyside, but that would still be true if they went past that for one additional stop.  Especially given the massive expense and effort that the project absorbed in replacing Hawthorne Bridge. (I will forever believe a train - only bridge could have been built all the way to Pecan for the same money and had a station that actually could provide connections for the Silver line without embittering the neighborhood to the streetcar. )    But since they took on that cost, they should have gone farther up Hawthorne. 

The growth and density around that station was already mostly happening, but I know they'll take some credit for it.   I just hope the ridership actually comes when they open and the pandemic winds down this summer.  

• Like 3

That is the "track" of the automobile. The first Mini I landed on with a search for track was a 2015 with 57.4 front and 57.8 rear track. This is with factory wheels and tires. Standard gauge in the USA and Canada for the vast amount of rail line is 56.5 inches. I assume light rail follows standard rail gauge. I have a Miata that is 55.5 inches.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

It's incredibly frustrating and disheartening to see this take so long. I *know* it's unrealistic to expect the car centric US to have the same level of transit infrastructure as our European counterparts, but seeing as South Carolina, of all places, can replace a bridge over the Catawba in two weeks time, the fact we're getting on, what is it, four years with this project is unacceptable. Charlotte was really getting ahead of its transit needs there for while, but John Lewis and CATS management has and actively are creating a scenario where Charlotte will be at Atlanta or LA levels of congestion before the public appetite for transit opens up again. Build now while we don't "need" it for a future where we will. 

• Like 4