Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

1 minute ago, tozmervo said:

I believe it's about $3.5-4 million per train vehicle, so I'd recommend getting city council to cough up the dough. 

I haven’t looked at the numbers but sales tax revenue has been over performing for a long while. Since they have said they have no intent of using the current transit tax revenues on system expansion (I was surprised that they went to the city for Silver Line planning $) I think the current operating budget has some wiggle room.

[just guessing]

[ignorant spitballing here...]

or, the city /CATS could be innovative and sell bonded carbon offsets to finance the new vehicles. I am sure it would be easy to price the reduced carbon outputs of 3,000 (?) additional daily riders produced by higher frequencies. 

If increased ridership does not materialize from higher frequency (I really think it will based on the crappiness of daily riding), then just shrug and just allocate the vehicles to the Silver Line.

Given the RNC generated delay in Gold Line opening it also appears that there is a window where Gold Line vehicles could be run on the Blue Line to augment service for some period of time to test the frequency thesis. (Only after the vehicles have been tested of course)

Electric vehicle charging infrastructure is working on a similar revenue stream: https://www.navigantresearch.com/news-and-views/ev-charging-to-tap-carbon-credits-for-new-revenue-stream 

Edited by kermit

6 hours ago, kermit said:

Yes! 

1) It appears to me that they have no spares during peak.

2) Changing to 5 minute headways at rush and 10 minute all day would make a big difference in ridership. 

3) afternoon rush crowding is severe south of CTC

3) The 100 series cars are now approaching 15 years old.

Unit 405:

501D675B-6E15-440D-8261-0FA6B10268FF.jpeg

DO NOT HUMP!  :tw_lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kermit said:

So why is the new dedicated bus lane in 4th. Why couldn't CATS have put it on Trade and shared dedicated space with the Gold Line? What am I missing? 

With the street car, will there be any bus stops on trade anymore? I live on trade so I don’t mind the lack of a bus lane tbh. 

i think 4th lets it tie into the new bus part of gateway station. 

• Thanks 1