Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

And for my last set of pics until I get back from Chicago, here are some views of the Dean Tower, Marriott, and the LSU campus, all quite a few miles away from the Capitol.

Memorial Tower and other buildings on the LSU campus, about 5 miles from the Capitol

img7985borderio4.jpg

Tiger Stadium

img7986borderme9.jpg

Dean Tower

img8021bordercp9.jpg

The Marriott Hotel along I-10

img7978borderyc9.jpg

Speaking of LSU they are building a 600,000sq ft shopping center on Nicholson Drive modeled after the LSU campus.

I found some old pictures of Baton Rouge.It seems like we did have some density at one time.I remeber reading that a lot of B.R. burned down at one time and that's when peopel started using brick.

"Riverfront view of Baton Rouge, Louisiana in the Civil War era."

br_waterfront.jpg

"The Edward J. Gay lying at berth in Baton Rouge, ca. 1895"

br_berth.jpg

Thanks for the shots Nate.

Good info Dan. Very interesting.

*** Population figures around 1890-1895

New Orleans 242,039

Shreveport 11,979

Baton Rouge 10,478

Wow, look at those figures. Shreveport and Baton Rouge have always been close in population (until Katrina) but look how far ahead New Orleans was in 1890-1895. More than 100 years later, Baton Rouge has reached and likely exceeded that number. It's hard to imagine New Orleans could be around that number again meaning that, while only temporary, Katrina set the city's population back over 100 years. Wow.

Nice!

You know, Richy, say what you will about Baton Rouge's skyline lacking size, but one thing is evident from these photos and from driving through Baton Rouge. That city IS at the next level. It's definitely on a different plane of existance from Shreveport, without a doubt. Sure there's a lot going on here, but NOTHING like what's going on down there. Katrina has surely helped, but Baton Rouge was already rockin' and rollin' before that storm blew thousands more people into the area.

^How long has that been there? I've never seen it before. That is a really cool bridge with fancy lights and everything. I always wondered what those buildings were,I thought they were apartments.Soon that area will be flooded with hotels and condos with the progress at Towne Center, but it's all good. :D

^How long has that been there? I've never seen it before. That is a really cool bridge with fancy lights
The pedestrian bridge has been thier for a few years. I see some use of the bridge, but not much. It's pretty cool for the people at the hotel or condo's to walk the bridge to the Cinema and Barnes & Noble.

Soon that area will be flooded with hotels and condos with the progress at Towne Center, but it's all good.

They are calling the Corporate Blvd. corridor Baton Rouge's "New Hip Strip".

Nice!

You know, Richy, say what you will about Baton Rouge's skyline lacking size, but one thing is evident from these photos and from driving through Baton Rouge. That city IS at the next level. It's definitely on a different plane of existance from Shreveport, without a doubt. Sure there's a lot going on here, but NOTHING like what's going on down there. Katrina has surely helped, but Baton Rouge was already rockin' and rollin' before that storm blew thousands more people into the area.

Thanks Brian for the nice compliments about Baton Rouge. You are right, BR was starting to get to that next level; Katrina just accelerated things. Most of the World/Nation look at Louisiana and see New Orleans and that's fine. But it's time for places like Baton Rouge, Shreveport and Lafayette too; to emerge from the shadows and be known as well. We may never be on NOLA's level but we both can be nice complimentary cities.

Edited by richyb83

Thanks Corey. The cellular tower was a creative idea.

I like that area of the city. CitiPlace blends well with Corporate Square. The New Towne Center is nearby too soon; will all be one huge development down Corporate Blvd.

What kind of engineer are you??

Edited by richyb83