Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

:o:lol::rolleyes:

That's pretty wild there Dan. The developers in Dubai might be a little jealous. You could probably could see this one from Hammond! :shades: I would not want to be on top of that during a thunder-storm. Imagine how far you could see on a clear day. That would make Sears Tower in Chicago look like mini-me.

The skew-master, Dan da man!

An 18-wheeler trailer after it caught on fire on I-12 near Denham Springs:

img7344borderyt7.jpg

I remember back when you first posted that thing... amazing. The shot almost has an HDR feel to it, so I can imagine what it would look like if it actually were an HDR!!

Anyway, not something you get to see every day but definitely interesting when you do.

Looking down one side of my favorite streets in Baton Rouge... North Boulevard.

To the far left will be the new North Boulevard Town Square, part of the Riverfront Development Masterplan.

Down on the far right is the Shaw Center for the Arts.

(Not shown; the wide tree lined median with promenade)

Alot of new development is coming in 07' around the Town Square vicinity.

downtown034vf0.jpg

I'll be sure to post plenty of NEW downtown development pictures in the New Year :thumbsup:

I just saw where someone on SSC spelled it "Baton Rough." I thought to myself... hmmm... was he trying to be funny, or is he just not very smart? ;)

Well, I never really thought of Baton Rouge as a rough place so I guess he's just dumb. :lol: Or it could have been that guy that said Baton Rouge was a gritty place on one of the Southern forum threads.

Edited by dan326

Thanks for the props yall :thumbsup:

I thought Baton Rough was very appropriate Brian.; I thought that you may have been done that on purpose ;) in response to my earlier reply in the SBC Crime forum. BR had 72 homocides in 06'...compared to Shreveport's 30 that was reported. That Top 10 Most Dangerous Metro List forgot to include Baton Rough :lol:

One question, Is there anything in the "Roux" building?

Oh yes that's the Roux House restuarant/club. It's one of downtown's most popular(crowded) places on Third Street.

Oh yes that's the Roux House restuarant/club. It's one of downtown's most popular(crowded) places on Third Street.

I thought was just an empty building they painted for asthetics. No wonder there aren't any windows.

Do you know were exactly Shaw Center phase two will go?

This my best guess..95% sure this is where Phase II will be

(arrow to the left)

3rdst1rg9.jpg

Here's another shot that should have Phase II in view to the left again

downtown049vm4.jpg

I can't wait to see the final renderings. Not exactly sure what type of retail or restaurant will go on ground-level??

The condo's will go on top...not sure how many units 20, 25, 30-40 units?? I do not think it would be more than 4 or 5 floors??

*ALSO* Trahan architects name came back up in the latest Business Report That thin sleek "visionary" Riverfront Office Tower may actually become something else; a mixed use bldg. w/ possible ground level museum space; the new design stands about of 160'ft. .... it was said the new ultra-modern(none like it in the world) $$ expensive on the Lafayette Street side of Shaw Center

To refresh your memory, this is the sleek Riverfront Tower from Trahan architects

*Just chop it off about 10-floors...Don't be upset..At the height of 25-stories and that narrow was not very realistic IMO.

riverfrontofficetowerdets3.png

This is that same exact narrow tract of land...they are actually talking about aerial rights above Lafayette Street in the back of this pic :blink:

I played around with Google sketch just to give an idea..It did not come out as sleek/thin/narrow as I would have liked...

trahanpd1.jpg

This is Trahan's sleek building on the wrong side of the block; it will be just to the right

(* Aerial- courtesy of DDD Riverfront MasterPlan)

it's been said to be around 15-stories

composite30nodockfo1.jpg

Edited by richyb83

This my best guess..95% sure this is where Phase II will be

I can't wait to see the final renderings. Not exactly sure what type of retail or restaurant will go on ground-level??

The condo's will go on top...not sure how many units 20, 25, 30-40 units?? I do not think it would be more than 4 or 5 floors??

Thanks Richy. :) I can't wait to see it either, I wonder if it will be a similar design to the Shaw Center?

*ALSO* Trahan architects name came back up in the latest Business Report That thin sleek "visionary" Riverfront Office Tower may actually become something else; a mixed use bldg. w/ possible ground level museum space; the new design stands about of 160'ft. .... it was said the new ultra-modern(none like it in the world) $$ expensive on the Lafayette Street side of Shaw Center.To refresh your memory, this is the sleek Riverfront Tower from Trahan architects

*Just chop it off about 10-floors...Don't be upset..At the height of 25-stories and that narrow was not very realistic IMO.

If there's none like it in the world, I think we could afford to sacrifice a few floors. :D

This is that same exact narrow tract of land...they are actually talking about aerial rights above Lafayette Street in the back of this pic :blink:

I played around with Google sketch just to give an idea..It did not come out as sleek/thin/narrow as I would have liked...

I chopped the building to about 15 stories, which was hard to do since the facade and floors were inconsitent, but you get the idea. Didn't mean to undermind your rendering Richy, but I couldn't remember were the other picture of that spot was.

untitledsn8.png

Edited by dan326

So they may place a restaurant on the Ground Floor in that location??? That would be a great spot for Dave And Buster's. A great way to attract adults downtown for some fun and food. With the Parking Garage on the corner of Third and Convention, that would provide plenty of parking for a place like DandB.

Great job once again Dan. You were Heaven-sent to UP for BR!!! :thumbsup: We will see what happens.

Here's the article from Business Report:

http://www.businessreport.com/newsDetail.cfm?aid=10490

Basically saying some new cutting edge-architecture is coming into the BR scene. The old boring stuff BR has had over the years just doesn't always cut it.

*Be sure to check-out the BR Profile thread later on, I am posting some pics of the over-done(esp. in the burbs) Acadian-french-style architure in the garden office's all over the place.

Hey Byrde...Another good spot for Dave & Buster's is the corner of Third Street/ Florida Street under the Coca Cola sign you were refering to in the restuarant thread. That building was bought for someone from California I believe...he's really supposed to do something nice with it. I have heard a roof top terrace to hang-out on.

Hey Byrde...Another good spot for Dave & Buster's is the corner of Third Street/ Florida Street under the Coca Cola sign you were refering to in the restuarant thread. That building was bought for someone from California I believe...he's really supposed to do something nice with it. I have heard a roof top terrace to hang-out on.

I agree. That too would be a great location.

Trey Trahan has designed a structure that would vault 160 feet into the air from the plaza on the Mississippi River side of the Shaw Center over Lafayette Street and land on the other side of the street.

Towering some 40 feet above the Shaw Center, Trahan admits the structure would be expensive to build.

This thing sounds crazy!, but I bet it would still be awesome! From what I read I would think it would look something like this, maybe a more utilitarian St. Louis arch? I think I might have made it a little too tall though.

untitledkc8.png

Edited by dan326

Cool.

As far as the south goes, Baton Rouge is the gateway to the west. Why can't we have our own arch? Baton Rouge stlye, of course. Instead of an arch, how about a gable-shaped structure?

Anyways, anything that would be a landmark for BR would be great (like the Gateway Arch, Space Needle, etc). How about a giant red stick?

Edited by brresident